Imatch 2021 Linked Persons in Face Manager

Started by hluxem, August 12, 2021, 03:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

I do like the new linked person feature in Imatch 2021 and started exploring and using it.

It looks like the files with linked person are displayed with an question mark in the face manager. I was looking for a way to just show the faces with real annotations, for me displaying all the question marks is rather unpractical. I could not find anything in the help about not displaying the question marks for the linked files. Is there a way to suppress the linked persons in the face manager?

Thanks,

Heiner

Mario

There is no such option. Feel free to add a feature request in the feature request board.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Forget it. I have implemented this for the next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

Oops,

Faster than I could post the FR. Just ignore it.

Great support as always!

Heiner

plastikman

I really like this feature. But there is some issues that need to be addressed:

• Sometimes my photos end up with both a tagged Person and linked Person. In the People grid view their names show twice under the photos. Unlinking and relinking always fixes this. I believe it happens when either a question marked is linked and later tagged, or when the people manager creates people and one person has multiple faces.
  • The other problem with the feature is that the shortcut is hard to hit in the right timing, and the pop-up interface is not very user friendly/fast. It is is much faster to create keywords, drag them to favorites, and apply them for there, and then later link persons in batch from the keyword to a person. But this is all extra work. Proposal: make it possible to apply Person links via Favorite shortcuts or improve the pop-up window and give it a recent/favorites view on the top or something. Another option would be to use full width of the screen and show all Persons in columns.
TLDR; great feature Mario but I believe it should be faster to use in practice versus using keywords.

Mario

Feature requests please always in the feature request board.

So far I have never seen a duplicate person assignment and I don't see how to reproduce this.
Do you perhaps have used the same person name / label multiple times?

If you have step-by-step how to produce this problem, let me know below.
If I can reproduce this, I can fix it.
So far this is the first report about this, which can mean that it is caused by your specific workflow only.

Quoteeither a question marked is linked and later tagged

What do mean by that? Where is a question mark (Under a face?) and what do you mean by "tagging"?
Most people use the term tagging for assigning keywords. Do you mean "Assign a person to an existing face" or "link a person to an image" "Confirming a face which also has a link to the same person" or what?

QuotePeople manager creates people and one person has multiple faces

I don't understand.
Most persons should have more than one face (if they appear at least two images).
With People Manager you mean what? The Face Manager? The People View with the list of persons on the left?

I'm sure all this is clear to you, but for us it is helpful if you use the terms IMatch and the IMatch help uses to name things.
All else is just guessing and not that helpful. We need to know what you mean to help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on August 21, 2021, 11:51:21 AM
Feature requests please always in the feature request board.

So far I have never seen a duplicate person assignment and I don't see how to reproduce this.
Do you perhaps have used the same person name / label multiple times?

If you have step-by-step how to produce this problem, let me know below.
If I can reproduce this, I can fix it.
So far this is the first report about this, which can mean that it is caused by your specific workflow only.

Quoteeither a question marked is linked and later tagged

What do mean by that? Where is a question mark (Under a face?) and what do you mean by "tagging"?
Most people use the term tagging for assigning keywords. Do you mean "Assign a person to an existing face" or "link a person to an image" "Confirming a face which also has a link to the same person" or what?

QuotePeople manager creates people and one person has multiple faces

I don't understand.
Most persons should have more than one face (if they appear at least two images).
With People Manager you mean what? The Face Manager? The People View with the list of persons on the left?

I'm sure all this is clear to you, but for us it is helpful if you use the terms IMatch and the IMatch help uses to name things.
All else is just guessing and not that helpful. We need to know what you mean to help.

I mean if you run the people organizer multiple "persons/faces/people" are created as Person 1, 2, 3 etc. which might also already exist as a person.

With question mark I mean unconfirmed people.

This also brings me up to another IMatch behavior: why do unconfirmed people already show up under a person in the people tab in the grid view? That view by default should show only the confirmed faces for that person or at least there should be a setting for this. There is a setting for never confirming faces automatically but that's does not give the same result.

Mario

Ah, an important information missing so far.

You are using the People Organizer to automatically create persons from similar looking faces.
Do you already have persons assigned to one or more images you process with this tool?
If so, confirmed or unconfirmed or trained?

QuoteThis also brings me up to another IMatch behavior: why do unconfirmed people already show up under a person in the people tab in the grid view?
This behavior is by design and based on discussions and user wishes during the Beta test period end of 2019/beginning 2020.

If IMatch assigns a person to face, confirmed or not, this face MUST show up for that person. You can easily apply a filter to weed out unconfirmed persons. Or show only unconfirmed.
This is a big workflow improvement.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on August 21, 2021, 01:07:48 PM
Ah, an important information missing so far.

You are using the People Organizer to automatically create persons from similar looking faces.
Do you already have persons assigned to one or more images you process with this tool?
If so, confirmed or unconfirmed or trained?

Not sure. I will pay closer attention to this behavior from now on. Unlinking and relinking results in the expected behavior for these images.

I know how it more or less came to be: I did an automatic face recognition run on my entire library. After which I tagged at least 1 face for each person mostly from group photos from weddings etc. After I created a Person for each entity under People I went to the keyword manager and selected "Person 1" keyword and assigned in bulk to "Person 1" people entity. After that I started training the People face with more images by assigning confirming/rejecting/ignoring the faces with the Face Manager. I later discovered that like 30% of images had a double assignment (tagged/confirmed as well as linked for Person 1) but not all of them. So this suspects that it has something to do with the interaction/order between the Face Manager, training of images and the Linking/Relinking feature. I guess depending on which order you do certain steps there is no final check on if there is both a confirmed face or linked person in the image. Or as you said maybe there are more than 1 entity at some point in the workflow which later got merged/re-assigned.

Regarding your last point with showing unconfirmed faces, there is not an easy toggle for this in the filter manager as far as I can tell?   

Mario

Quote from: plastikman on August 21, 2021, 01:44:15 PM
Regarding your last point with showing unconfirmed faces, there is not an easy toggle for this in the filter manager as far as I can tell?

People Filter:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Thanks. That panel wasn't enabled so I had no idea it existed. My bad.

I checked some images with the double name due to face annotation and linked person. They all have the same person.OID (which I assume is the unique object ID in the DB) so they do seem to be linked to the same database entity.

Mario

See: Filtering and Searching

If you have step-by-step repro, let me know.
I've tried a few things based on your explanations above but to no avail. Was also never reported before, so this might be tricky.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on August 21, 2021, 03:10:51 PM
See: Filtering and Searching

If you have step-by-step repro, let me know.
I've tried a few things based on your explanations above but to no avail. Was also never reported before, so this might be tricky.

Yes maybe it was just a hiccup. It mostly affects only 3 people/pets in my 40+ people library (the 5 I did first as in me, my wife, my daughter, and my 2 pets).

I am watching it now so when it shows up again I should be able to reproduce/reverse engineer.