Additional Rotate short cut keys

Started by Stefanjan, August 12, 2021, 08:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

Would it be possible to add CTRL L and CTRL R as short cut keys to rotate images.

The current short cut keys don't work for me as I don't have a numeric keypad, I use a compact keyboard to reduce wrist strain.

I use right mouse click and menu. Not a big deal but would be helpful unless there is a reason not to do it.

Mario

Ctrl+R toggles the read-only state for files, Ctrl+L is the trigger shortcut for selecting layouts (Ctrl+L,1 for example).

Do you need to rotate image so often that this really becomes such an issue?
Which camera do you use and why does it write the rotation info wrong so often? Any particular workflow or shooting conditions?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

I've mentioned this before but it is worth repeating in case it helps others.  I've been using a Stream Deck for a lot of shortcut functions in Indesign/Photoshop for years... and also have a bunch of these setup for IMatch as well.  Might be something to look into... nice visual based reminder of what keys do what for frequently used functions.

loweskid

Thanks to Jingo I'm also using a Stream Deck - highly recommended.

Also, for eliminating wrist strain I can recommend a vertical mouse.  The one I use is made by CLS (left or right-handed versions available).

cg

+1

I am processing many scanned images and images from older digital cameras that didn't seem to track orientation in the metadata, so I'm rotating a lot of images on a laptop with no numpad.

A workaround I just found uses an AutoHotkey script to map alt-, to alt-numpad4 and alt-. to alt-numpad6 to rotate left and right in an iMatch window. However, I can't rotate 180deg as there is no hotkey shortcut available for that. (And the rotates in iMatch appear to work absolutely from the original orientation, so rotating left twice is not an option).

So a 180-degree rotate hotkey might be useful.

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on August 12, 2021, 11:35:04 AM
Do you need to rotate image so often that this really becomes such an issue?
Not that often, more of an irritant than an issue, most other software has shortcuts to rotate images. Would be good if I could use a shortcut rather than the menu when it happens
Which camera do you use and why does it write the rotation info wrong so often? Any particular workflow or shooting conditions?
Canon 80D, possibly when using the flip out screen when photographing our 3 month old grandson in his cot. I guess
the image was rotated to how the camera thought it was supposed to be because I might have been at a strange angle. It did impact a lot of photos.

------
Sorry for delay in responding, I only saw this when checking my Feedly feed. still don't get notification from this forum which is strange as I get notifications from other forums such as ON1 Plus.

Stefanjan

Quote from: Jingo on August 12, 2021, 02:31:01 PM
I've been using a Stream Deck for a lot of shortcut functions in Indesign/Photoshop for years
Sounds interesting, which model do you recommend?

I have a XP-PEN DECO PRO Medium graphics tablet which has buttons which can be assigned by application. But with so many applications o I don't remember which button does what. Having buttons on Stream Deck which tell you sounds great!

Would be also interesting to hear how you programme the buttons for IMatch

Stefanjan

Quote from: loweskid on August 12, 2021, 02:57:07 PM
Also, for eliminating wrist strain I can recommend a vertical mouse.

I have a couple of Anker Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mice. They are great once you get used to them but other people can struggle if they've never used one. Keeps my wife of my desktop!

Stefanjan

It also happens with my Panasonic TZ200 (ZS200) for all portrait photos if I have Rotate Display Off.

I generally use it with this setting because otherwise a portrait image displays vertically on a relatively small landscape screen.  Much easier to review if I view with the camera in portrait.

hluxem

+1
I do have quite some images with the wrong direction and would  be nice to avoid the nested menues.

Would any of the Stream Deck users be willing to share their Imatch profile for the device?

Thanks,

Heiner

sinus

Quote from: Stefanjan on August 13, 2021, 05:20:56 PM
Quote from: Jingo on August 12, 2021, 02:31:01 PM
I've been using a Stream Deck for a lot of shortcut functions in Indesign/Photoshop for years

I have a XP-PEN DECO PRO Medium graphics tablet which has buttons which can be assigned by application. But with so many applications o I don't remember which button does what. Having buttons on Stream Deck which tell you sounds great!

I have a keyboard with 6 programmable buttons (Corsair Gaming K55). I use these 6 keys only for IMatch. This is simply great.
Some keys I use always for the same, some I change.

It saves a lot of time. For example at the moment I have a lot of images for checking and I do this:

select one image from a stack (90% of my files are stacked).

Then comes the key, one push and it does this:
1) Expand the stack
2) Select all files in the stack
3) Push them into a result window

These seems to be not a lot, but if you have thousends of images to check, it helps really very much.  :)
If IMatch "pushes" files into a result window, unfortunately I have not found a possibility to work with more commands, because IMatch is then in the result window, but looses the active file, I have first to click on the file to go on, and I have not found a command inside IMatch, what does this and I have also not find a way with my corsair-keyboard.
Hence I use a second key.

But overall this is a very good thing, such "special keys" and this "Stream Deck", mentioned from Jingo, sounds very interesting is is for sure even better as my Corsair.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

There is a "open stack in result window command" (<Shift>+<Ctr>l+<S>, <R>) which seems to do that in one step?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 14, 2021, 10:39:21 AM
There is a "open stack in result window command" (<Shift>+<Ctr>l+<S>, <R>) which seems to do that in one step?

Thanks, Mario, of course you are correct.
But such commands are (for me) too complicated to remember. Because IMatch has dozens of them.
First you have to remember (or look up) "shift+ Ctr+l S" and then "R" ... and if you hesitate a bit, (over 1 second) before you hit R, the command is gone.

Alternative is, I do it with ONE keystroke. I have to remember only 1 key. This is a big difference and I guess, this is the success from "programmable keys" and products like Stream deck.

And my example was just one from much more. I can add with one key much more IMatch-commands (like add flags, dots, bookmarks and so on).
Of course IMatch self offers a LOT of commands and Metadata Template and more.

Please do not get me wrong: All these helps. where I can program a key, would not be possible, if IMatch would not have the command!  ;D Hence IMatch is the source and heart from all.
But for some tasks such programmable keys are great.

PS: I just read from a software called "Touch Portal", could be also interesting
Markus

Mario

That's the reason for "gamer keyboards" which allow to program entire chains of commands, or dedicated hardware like the Stream Deck. Or software like AutoKey.
IMatch could have the same functionality (command chains, callable with a keyboard shortcut or Favorite), but it appears that there are no related feature requests or at least none with more than one or two +1.

There is an function in the IMatchLib which returns a list of all commands (IMatch.commandList) and another function which executes a command (IMatch.commandExecute). This could be a good basis to write an app for this purpose. I could also build that into a future version, if there is a FR and enough +1 for it.

PS.: If have improved the automatic focus change for the result window in the next release.
When you use the "Open Stack in Result Window" command, it now not only focuses to the same file that ways focused in the originating file window (we have that already), but also sets the focus to to the file window with a delay - you can then immediately navigate or run commands. The delay was a bit short for slower machines or larger working sets before and sometimes Windows forced another window to become active, pulling the focus away from the file window in the result window (focus management can be a PITA sometimes).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

Quote from: Stefanjan on August 13, 2021, 05:20:56 PM

I'm using the standard Stream Deck.  Programming is very simple (see attached screenshot).  Just select the button you want to programme and type the key sequence into the lower dialogue field, add an icon and/or text and you're done.  You can drag the button to another location.  Some icons are provided but you can add your own.

In my current set up the top left button takes me up a level - think of it as being like a folder tree.  The second button starts IMatch.

I'm also using a programmable keypad (Cherry ML4700) which I use for Windows functions that are common to all programs (cut, copy, paste etc.) so I don't use up keys on the Stream Deck.  Also useful for entering commonly used text streams, such as my email address, with just one keypress.

Incidentally, Photoshop has a feature where you can add or reprogramme keyboard shortcuts.  For instance the Shadow/Highlight tool didn't have a shortcut so I was able to programme one and add it as an 'action' (what Photoshop calls macros).  The problem with Photoshop is finding a key combination that isn't already in use... :)

Mario

There are the new keyboard shortcuts for IMatch 2021.8.6

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: loweskid on August 14, 2021, 01:49:38 PM

I'm using the standard Stream Deck.  Programming is very simple (see attached screenshot).  Just select the button you want to programme and type the key sequence into the lower dialogue field, add an icon and/or text and you're done.  You can drag the button to another location.  Some icons are provided but you can add your own.

The biggest issue with Streamdeck usage and IMatch at the moment is the "combo" keys... like Ctrl+G, R... streamdeck doesn't have the ability to handle this at the moment (as far as I can tell and it is a big let down).  So, to get around it, I have to set up 2 keys (one for Ctrl+G and one for R) then use a 3rd button that binds those two buttons together.  A bit of a pain since there are a lot of these 2 key combos in IMatch - but not the end of the world either. 

Been looking around to find something that I can use without having to setup Autohotkey just for IMatch... might just try and code an addon to allow multiple combo-keypresses from a single button...

loweskid

Quote from: Jingo on August 14, 2021, 02:37:26 PMThe biggest issue with Streamdeck usage and IMatch at the moment is the "combo" keys... like Ctrl+G, R... streamdeck doesn't have the ability to handle this at the moment...

Yes it does - make sure you've got the latest version of the software.  See attached screenshot.

At top right of the menu bar click on 'Stream Deck'.  Select 'Multi Action' and drag it onto a button.  This opens up a box as shown in the pic.  Then drag into the box the actions - Hotkey, Delay, and Hotkey again.

Then select each option in turn and type in the key sequence for each one.  The delay defaults to 1 sec (1000ms).  In the example you give it would be Ctrl+G for the first, 500ms for the delay, and just the letter R for the third.  Job done - works a treat... :)

sinus

Quote from: loweskid on August 14, 2021, 03:34:21 PM
Quote from: Jingo on August 14, 2021, 02:37:26 PMThe biggest issue with Streamdeck usage and IMatch at the moment is the "combo" keys... like Ctrl+G, R... streamdeck doesn't have the ability to handle this at the moment...

Yes it does - make sure you've got the latest version of the software.  See attached screenshot.

I have looked again at my "Corsair Gaming K55" with 6 programmable keys.
There is written in the help "Elgato Stream Deck Software Integration" ... so I assume that I set my 6 keys with the same software as Stream Deck. And yes, I can set times between keystrokes (milliseconds) very well, so keys like Ctrl G, R are no problem.
Hence I guess, Jingo, that loweskid is right and you can do it, what you miss, you should check that.

In principle, 6 additional keys are enough for me, so I will stay with Corsair.
Moreover, I don't have an additional device on the table, which is also the reason why I won't take a closer look at the very good and cheap solution "Touch portal" (with mobile phone/tablet).

Mario's answer (a little further up) is very interesting, though!!!  ;D
If no one else makes a corresponding thread with a future request for an "IMatch internal" solution, then I will do that sometime in the next days or weeks.

from Mario's post above: "... There is an function in the IMatchLib which returns a list of all commands (IMatch.commandList) and another function which executes a command (IMatch.commandExecute). This could be a good basis to write an app for this purpose. I could also build that into a future version, if there is a FR and enough +1 for it."
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: loweskid on August 14, 2021, 03:34:21 PM

At top right of the menu bar click on 'Stream Deck'.  Select 'Multi Action' and drag it onto a button.  This opens up a box as shown in the pic.  Then drag into the box the actions - Hotkey, Delay, and Hotkey again.

Then select each option in turn and type in the key sequence for each one.  The delay defaults to 1 sec (1000ms).  In the example you give it would be Ctrl+G for the first, 500ms for the delay, and just the letter R for the third.  Job done - works a treat... :)

Who hoo!!  I didn't have the latest version installed.. but now I do see it!  Yeah for me... now, I can go through and get rid of the double-keys and set things up proper like!   Thanks Loweskid.... fun times for all!   ;D

Stefanjan

With Stream Deck, how do you get to the screen showing the icons you have programmed for IMatch?
Does the Stream Deck recognise which app you have open and go to the appropriate screen or do you have screen icons on the home screen with icons to take you to a subsequent page for each app.

IMatch has a lot of keyboard shortcuts and as a newbie I am struggling to remember them often getting them wrong, so I can see that it would be helpful to have an icon visually displaying the action.

I have installed Touch Portal on my desktop and tablet and made a start with some of the tutorials. A 16 button Stream Deck seems expensive when I already have a very expensive Samsung tablet which may well be as good(????) and the pro version of Touch Portal is a very reasonable £12.99 for a perpetual license.

I'm not a streamer so not convinced that I need the functionality of Stream Deck or Touch Portal but experimenting with Touch Portal might be fun.

My Graphics Pad has 8 programmable keys and an inner and outer scroll wheel which can be configured for all applications or each application. So for IMatch I have programmed the bottom keys for Rotate Left and Right which is easy to remember. The keys change functionality depending on which application has focus. Can Stream Deck do this.

I confess I have difficulty remembering how I have programmed the keys when switching between applications so don't tend to use them, maybe I should print out map for each app.

Mario

Quote from: Stefanjan on August 16, 2021, 11:48:58 AM
IMatch has a lot of keyboard shortcuts and as a newbie I am struggling to remember them often getting them wrong, so I can see that it would be helpful to have an icon visually displaying the action.

Maybe print out the handy Keyboard Cheat Sheet?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

QuoteMaybe print out the handy Keyboard Cheat Sheet?
I have but it is 9 sides of A4 paper, 5 sides two up. I guess I should really try and get comfortable with a few shortcuts at a time for a specific task. 

Mario

This is how it is, unfortunately. IMatch is a powerful application with many commands.
The shortcuts are listed in the menu, next to the command.
I'm sure you'll remember the handful of actual shortcodes one needs daily quickly.
For less often used shortcuts, the menu is your friend - of something fancy like a Stream Deck, Loupe Deck or similar.

Mhm...
Maybe a new type of IMatch Favorite which just plays a number of keys, with optional delay, focus setting to a specific window etc. would be doable and cool 
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

Quote from: Stefanjan on August 16, 2021, 11:48:58 AM
With Stream Deck, how do you get to the screen showing the icons you have programmed for IMatch?

You just set them up in the software on your computer screen and they automatically appear on the Stream Deck.

Does the Stream Deck recognise which app you have open and go to the appropriate screen

No. Wrong, sorry.

or do you have screen icons on the home screen with icons to take you to a subsequent page for each app.

Yes.  Think of it as a folder structure - you can have as many levels as you want (I think) not sure if there is a limit.

The keys change functionality depending on which application has focus. Can Stream Deck do this.

No.

Correction - it can.  See Stream Deck online documentation.

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2021, 02:21:35 PM
Mhm...
Maybe a new type of IMatch Favorite which just plays a number of keys, with optional delay, focus setting to a specific window etc. would be doable and cool 

That would be really good.  Could have them displayed in a panel on a seperate monitor.  I think it would need to be able to add text easily to the buttons, like Stream Deck, as with just icons I would still have difficulty remembering them.  Of course the text could be added to an icon but that would mean making individual icons.  With Stream Deck the text can superimposed on the icon, and the font size and position altered.

Mario

IMatch Favorites support texts and icons.
You can move the Favorites Panel to a second monitor, like all IMatch panels.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2021, 06:02:52 PM
I hadn't appreciated the implications of your response earlier. Being able to click shortcut favourites with my pen on my second monitor would be amazing.

Where do I vote?????

Mario

I was just venting an idea. Feel free to post a feature request, maybe quoting my idea outline from above.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2021, 06:02:52 PM

Very true.  Note to self - I ought to make more use of favourites.

What was going through my mind was having small square buttons as used in the App Manager Panel, with the ability to superimpose text on top of a graphic, as is the case with StreamDeck.

But of course StreamDeck has to do it this way as it's constrained by the dimensions of the actual physical buttons on the StreamDeck itself.

I'm probably over-thinking it.... ;D

Mario

Oh, nooooo....
You did not quote my idea, making it all or your own 
No I'll have to decline it for principal reasons.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Stefanjan

Sorry I did not realise I needed to quote you. Apologies,  I did not mean to offend. I have removed my featture request.

Mario

I was just kidding.
Please re-do your feature request and I will consider this for a later release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator