Files lost their categories

Started by DONUSA, January 26, 2021, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DONUSA

I sent this problem to support@phototools.com, but after a week got no response.  I'm posting here now. 

Someone had a similar problem in 2019, but it did not have a resolution. 
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9410.msg66401#msg66401

I had a hard disk crash of my database.  The disk was backed up on Dropbox, so I installed a new disk in my computer and copied the backup to the new disk using the same folder structure.  When I restored from DropBox all the files were downloaded to my local drive.  I did not use the SmartSync feature of DropBox that keeps the actual file in the cloud.  I confirmed using Explorers that I indeed had all the photo files fully downloaded to my local drive. 

Only the iMatch database was on the disk that crashed.  The iMatch program runs on another local drive that was not affected by the crash. 

The file folder structure for the restored files is identical to the one that crashed.   When I launched iMatch it found the database, but when it loaded it all the files were off-line, even though they were actually on the local drive.  That was confusing, but after reading the help I discovered this is because of the different disk serial number of the new disk drive.  I'm pretty sure the files were in categories at this point, but I was focused on fixing their offline status so I am not 100% sure.  As per the instruction in help, I then did a relocate and rescanned the database. 

All of the photos in the database are now online, but they are no longer categorized.  All of my categories are there, but they are all empty.  What happened and how do I get the photos back into their categories? 

Mario

I respond to dozens of email per day, usually within 24 hours or less.
It is very likely that your email has been SPAM-blocked or similar. Just send the email again if you don't get a response within 24 hours.

QuoteAs per the instruction in help, I then did a relocate and rescanned the database.

A rescan is usually not needed when you relocated the drive.
Unless the "last modified on disk" timestamps of the folders /files where not properly restored by your restore procedure - and IMatch notices that the timestamp recorded in the database differs from the timestamps in the file system. But IMatch cannot rescan off-line files.

If the files have lost their categories, you have, somehow, added the files as "new" files to your database. Like, indexing all folders again?
Do you have the same folders from multiple disks in your database now?
Did you make a rescan before relocating (this will also add the files again to your database, with no categories of course).

I recommend you restore the database backup again.
Then relocate, do nothing else.
This way IMatch just updates the database with the new  drive / media serial number of the files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DONUSA

OK, that worked.  Thanks.

Just to close out on this in case anyone else has this problem after restoring photos from backup with a new drive:  the moral of the story is that when the photos are all offline that is normal and DO NOT do a Rescan until after first doing a Relocate. 

Mario

See also Off-line Folders and Files in the IMatch Help System for an in-depth explanation.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook