Expanding Collapsing Tree Control Elements

Started by Aubrey, December 15, 2020, 05:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I really like this new feature to expand and collapse tree control elements in 2020_12_2 - I was always forgetting the shortcuts in Windows.

Would it be possible to add the windows keyboards shortcuts to the text of the pop up window alongside the description? This will allow us to learn the shortcuts, and at the same time if we forget we can use this useful feature with the mouse.

Aubrey.

Mario

The keyboard shortcuts are in the keyboard cheat sheet and also in the help for each feature.
They are common between all Windows applications. Windows also documents them.

Most of the new commands don't have keyboard shortcuts anyway.
They are for users who don't have a real keyboard or nor numeric keypad.
And these commands, while extremely useful when needed, are not need that often. I did not want to waste precious keyboard shortcuts for them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on December 15, 2020, 05:09:04 PM
The keyboard shortcuts are in the keyboard cheat sheet and also in the help for each feature.
Keyboard shortcuts for the tree only appear in "Working with Tree Control Elements"
They do not appear on the Keyboard cheat sheet. We've been here before in 2016 (https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=5493.msg38048#msg38048) ;) . Perhaps now is time to add to cheat sheet!

Most of the new commands don't have keyboard shortcuts anyway.
Yes, I've noticed.

And these commands, while extremely useful when needed, are not need that often. I did not want to waste precious keyboard shortcuts for them.
I did not mean to suggest new keyboard short cuts, but simply to reiterate the equivalent windows, to remind users with NumPads that they could use these where applicable. (For example: "Expand   +", "Collapse   -"). As you said, they're not used very often, and therefore we tend to forget the existing windows shortcut.

It's not terribly important so you may well feel that this should be filed under No Further Action. That's fine with me.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

See, there is even a dedicated help topic for this  :D
I recall updating it to include the new menu commands.

Keyboard shortcuts in IMatch menus are generated from the IMatch resource files, when the command is associated with a keyboard shortcut in IMatch.
Since these commands have no keyboard shortcuts, I would have to invent something just for this one menu. Nope.
Cursor right, cursor left to expand collapse. Numpad*. These are the standard tree control shortcuts you use anywhere in Windows, from Windows Explorer to whatnot.

Note: I have no idea if Windows is using the same keyboard shortcuts for tree controls in all countries. I guess they are, but I'm not sure.
Since these a keyboard shortcuts built into Windows, I recommend to refer to the Windows documentation.

If you find an error or want to make a suggestion about a help topic, please use the official way. Each page in the IMatch help has a feedback link at the bottom.
When you click it, your email client opens and you can send me an email. This email automatically includes the unique id of the help page you refer to. I have written about 600 pages for the IMatch help, and I don't remember them all. When you use the email, your request is automatically processed into a special inbox and I check this inbox one a week or so. Additions and changes to the help are rolled out continuously.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook