Photoshop Shutting Down PC

Started by Darius1968, November 17, 2020, 05:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I know this isn't a forum for Photoshop per se, but nonetheless, this place is residence to most users of IMatch that also heavily use and rely on Photoshop.  As such, after not really finding much help in the Photoshop user groups about why Photoshop shuts down a PC suddenly, just after trying to open up a file, I thought to ask if anyone here has had this same frustrating experience?  My PC specs are all totally up to spec to meet Photoshop's minimum requirement, and many of the users in the Photoshop forums that have complained about the same thing have systems that surpass mine in terms of specs. 

Mario

With shut-down do you mean Windows shuts-down or Windows suddenly reboots?

I would check the Windows Event Log (see, for example https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/) first.
If Windows is forced to shut-down, it usually is able to write the reason for this into the event log (Admin section, as an error).

If this is some sort of driver issue (e.g. a hard error when Ps is accessing the graphics driver), it should be logged there. If you run a NVIDIA card, make sure you have the latest driver or a stable ("Studio") driver.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

The PC just suddenly shuts off, and then reboots.  According to Nvidia's website, my driver was out-of-date, and I updated accordingly, but the problem still persists. 

Mario

Did the event log not reveal any errors or problem reports?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I've attached a screenshot from my Event Viewer, which I'm almost sure is correlating to these shut downs. 

Mario

Yeah. Scroll down before the first of these errors and check for warnings or messages related to a driver or something.
Maybe disable DirectX/OpenGl rendering in Photoshop to rule out the graphic card / driver.
Remove and properly re-seat the memory modules if you have a maintainable computer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

There a 20-something of these errors, each corresponding to when Photoshop caused my system to shut down.  I either don't see any related warnings, or don't know how to itemize them. 

Jingo

How long has this been occurring?   If not long, you might be able to roll-back your system to a time right before.  I keep rolling monthly images of my system drive for this type of event... that way, when something like this occurs and cannot fix it, I simply roll back my system drive a month and all is well again.  It won't help you right now - but perhaps something to consider moving forward.

I had these type of vague Kernel power errors randomly causing my system to fail.  In the end, I took my system apart, found a TON of dust inside, vacuumed it thoroughly and the problem never happended again.  My guess was my system was overheating or dust was being pulled onto hot chips, etc...  might be a long shot - but something to investigate.  My research at the time pointing to everything from a bad memory module to a bad power supply so it could be something like that as well - especially memory since Photoshop is a notorious memory hog.

Good luck.. these are tough to identify!

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Darius1968 on November 17, 2020, 10:22:13 AM
The PC just suddenly shuts off, and then reboots.  According to Nvidia's website, my driver was out-of-date, and I updated accordingly, but the problem still persists.
I had that effect once because of a faulty memory module (RAM). As soon as an address in that module was accessed, the PC rebooted as if I'd switched the power off an on again.
Try to run a diagnostics utility to check your hardware.

Mario

If you can at least open Ps, go to Preferences and disable the advanced graphic card / GPU options.
If it then works, you'll now its the GPU driver.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

Mario: 
Yes, I did disable those options, with no effect.  So, I'm pretty much thinking it could be something else, at this point. 

Jingo:
Thanks for the info!  When I use my APP Control Center, I get readings that my system temps are within good limits. 

Carlo:
Yeah, your suggestion to run a diagnostics app is what I was attempting myself.  I tried out OCCT, testing my power (it asked me to select my video card as well).  This caused my system to right-off-the-bat shut down immediately!  I've heard these tests aren't good to do because some feel they, in of in themselves could actually damage the system, with the stress loads they put on it. 

Mario

This sounds like some RAM issue. I suggested that above, already.
Remove all RAM from the motherboard and then carefully place it back in again.
This often solves issues like this.

The first thing Photoshop does is when it starts is to allocate 50% or more of the available RAM.
MemTest or System Test programs do the same.

If there is a damaged RAM or a lose connection, the effect will be an immediate reboot.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

thrinn

Quote from: Darius1968 on November 18, 2020, 12:18:30 PM
I tried out OCCT, testing my power (it asked me to select my video card as well).  This caused my system to right-off-the-bat shut down immediately!  I've heard these tests aren't good to do because some feel they, in of in themselves could actually damage the system, with the stress loads they put on it.
I don't know OCCT or what is does exactly, but in general just putting your system under a bit of stress should not damage it - as long as the tool does not change any "overclocking" settings or similar. It definitely looks as if your system has some kind of problem. Maybe you want to check out something like Heavyload (which is available free of charge from JAM software). This tool allows at least to check high CPU and GPU load independently from each other. Could give some insight if the problem is related more to the graphic card or its driver or to you CPU / main components.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Darius1968

Mario, the shutdown will happen in the process of opening files.  Sometimes, I can open one and close it, then, open a second and close, but a shutdown will more than likely happen, if I attempt a third!  Opening and closing out Photoshop itself really doesn't cause this shutdown.  So, with this all out of the way, do you think memory is still to blame?  I only ask because touching internals inside the PC is not something I'm really comfortable with.  Thanks. 

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Darius1968 on November 18, 2020, 01:39:21 PM
Mario, the shutdown will happen in the process of opening files.  Sometimes, I can open one and close it, then, open a second and close, but a shutdown will more than likely happen, if I attempt a third!  Opening and closing out Photoshop itself really doesn't cause this shutdown.  So, with this all out of the way, do you think memory is still to blame?  I only ask because touching internals inside the PC is not something I'm really comfortable with.  Thanks.
I would in any case run a hardware diagnostic. If only to excude it as the culprit. Could save you a lot of time searching in the wrong place.

Mario

Taking the RAM out and putting it back it takes less than 5 minutes and is not difficult. Tons of videos on YouTube which demonstrate that.
Almost anything can happen if there is a bad connection or damaged RAM chip.

Another typical candidate for random errors is the power supply.

Hardware test tools may find the problem. Be aware that many of the tools offered on the internet are just motherships for malware and viruses. Only install software from trusted sources!

If its the file system, maybe your virus checker is the culprit? Virus checkers hook deep into the system and run drivers on the highest kernel level. They may shut down the PC when they fail.
This is if you use something other than Windows Defender. If there would such a problem be in Windows Defender, millions of users would be affected and we would know about it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

Windows Memory Diagnostic didn't find anything - for how accurate that test is?