Background file activity

Started by sgr, September 17, 2020, 11:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgr

I have just purchased IM and IMA and am using IM on a network client PC to my home file server which runs IMA.

I am using 10Gb networking to that server and it has an SSD so performance is fine but I was monitoring file access with Process Monitor for another application and noted IM is still enumerating folders on my server every minute or so even though I have background indexing off.  I also tried disabling 'Update data-driven categories' so is there something else I need to disable on the  background processing as I thought the remaining options only triggered on changes within IM?

It's not an issue as such, I just hate needless activity probably as software performance is my day job.

Also, just a note that I spotted that these scanning requests have a extra back slash after the root folder (i.e. after 'PHOTOS' below) when doing the  CreateFile call:
09:46:06.1449851   IMatch2020x64.exe   11212   CreateFile   \\SERVER01\PHOTOS\\2006

Using 2020.7.3 trial (not installed the purchased upgrade yet)

Mario

Always include the complete log file (ZIPPED).
There are important information segments at the start and nearby the line you have quoted.

You can attach files up to 2MB via the Attachments and other options list under the post editor.

IMatch still reacts on file system notifications sent by Windows, e.g. to determine off-line state of folders and files, mark folders as updated (even if background scanning is off, which is not a good idea).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sgr

Quote from: Mario on September 17, 2020, 04:28:39 PM
Always include the complete log file (ZIPPED).
There are important information segments at the start and nearby the line you have quoted.

As SysInternals Process Monitor has various settings, what columns, filter, level of output (standard/advanced) plus context rows around the scanning calls (and double slash issue?) do you require?

I still have the VM I used for initial evaluation of IM so I could check to see if it does the same background scanning when I get home.

Mario

Which problem are you trying to solve?
Please ZIP and attach the IMatch and IMWS log files. See log file and the IMA Admin documentation.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook