[NB] IMatch crashes when closing the database

Started by JohnZeman, August 17, 2020, 11:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

For the past 2 days I have been battling a problem where IMatch crashes when I try to close a database.  Database diagnostics never finds any errors, and if IMatch is completely idle when I go to close the database, it'll usually close as it should.

But it seems if the program was doing anything in the background when I attempt to close the db, the program crashes.  This also happens when I try to compact and optimize the database.

This morning I restored a database backup from 2 days ago and for a while I thought I had things working again the way they should.  But as the day wore on the crashes began returning.

I enabled full logging, restarted IMatch, then did a few simple things to make minor changes.

And when I attempted to close the database and the program crashed.

When this happens IMatch does not notify me that it's about to crash, it just crashes.  When I restart the program IMatch says the last database did not close correctly.  I then reload the database, do diagnostics, and everything is ok again until the next crash.

Zipped log file attached.

Also I just checked the C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder and there are no .DMP files in it.

Mario

I have two similar reports.

In these two cases, a DLL produced by NVIDIA was the culprit. Do you have a NVIDIA graphic card?
Automatic updates enabled? in that case, this problem might be related.

If so, rolling back to an older (stable) NVIDIA graphic driver will solve the problem. Manual installation. Google for "nvwgf2umx.dll" for more info.
This is either part of the NVIDEA driver suite or one of the user surveillance components installed by recent NVIDIA updates.
This is not something IMatch can fix, because NVIDIA broke it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Well it seems I do have an NVIDIA GeForce GTC 645 adapter installed.

I do have Windows automatic updates enabled but I just now did an update drivers check and right now Windows is downloading a new version of the driver.

Windows reports the current driver I have now was installed June 5th, 2019.  My option to rollback to an older version is grayed out.

Looks like it's going to take a fair amount of time to download the new driver (I do not have a very fast internet here), so when it's finished downloading and installed I'll do more tests and report back tomorrow.

Thanks Mario!

Mario

I cannot really tell from the log alone - if no DUMP file is produced.

The log file is clean and shows a normal IMatch shut-down.
The last entry shows IMatch closing an ExifTool instance (it has closed others before).
Maybe the virus checker has kicked in somehow? ExifTool is run by IMatch as a separate process and cannot cause IMatch to close/crash - under normal conditions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

It looks like updating the NVIDIA driver to the latest version has solved the problem Mario.  Since I did that I haven't had any problems at all with IMatch during the last 23 hours and I've been doing lots of testing since then.

So it looks like you can put this bug report in the archived section. :)

Thanks for the help!

Mario

The crash causes by some recent NVIDIA drivers in some applications using Windows DirectX is well known now.
I've had 3 reports including yours in the past 2 days or so. All were fixed by updating the graphic card driver. Sometimes the crash was while using the Viewer. Sometimes when IMatch releases DirectX resources during shut-down. The culprit was always an NVIDIA DLL, which is part of the driver.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator