Imatch 5.2 new installer no longer allows changing the installation path

Started by Jstar333, May 06, 2020, 09:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstar333

The new installer for imatch 5.2 no longer lets the user specify were imatch will be installed.  I currently install the software to a second hard drive and this is no longer possible.   Will the installation location be included in future releases?

Because of this, I ended up with two version of imatch being installed on my computer.   The current version on the C: drive and my old copy on the D: Drive.

There should be a permanent warning displayed about the new installer in the customer portal.  To see it now, the release notes must be opened.  It was easy to fix the mess on my computer because I keep image backups.  I could restore my backup and start over.

Mario

The new installer allows to choose a part when you install IMatch initially (fresh install).
But not for an update install, where it replaces the existing installation. This behavior is intentional.

Don't move your IMatch installation into other folders after installation. This may cause severe issues.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jstar333

I did not move my Imatch installation into another folder.

With the old installer every time I installed imatch, I had to tell Imatch were my installation folder was since it was not at the default location.  The program never remembered were my install location had been moved to.  I cannot say if it always worked this way.   It has worked this way for a long time and I always reentered my current install location.

When I started over and uninstalled Imatch 4.8 this is what happened.
The Program deleted the files in D:\imatch6
The uninstaller did not delete config files at C:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6
The uninstaller did not delete registry entries written by imatch

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\photools\IMatch\6\Settings]
"tiid"="8C63D73A-49CB-48E7-8201-D133B5018C28"
"CommonAppDataFolder"="C:\\ProgramData\\photools.com\\IMatch6\\"
"LogLevel"=dword:00000002
"SessionTracker"=dword:00000000
"InstallLocation"="D:\\imatch6\\"
"PTSCritical"=dword:00000000
"SettingsDBFileName"="C:\\ProgramData\\photools.com\\IMatch6\\config\\imatch.pts"
"LangId"="en"
"IMWSPort"=dword:0000c557
"RemoteDebuggingPort"=dword:00000000
"FirstRun"=dword:00000000
"LastVersion"="2020.4.8"
"LastUpdateCheck"="2020-04-20"
"MIG-2020"=dword:00000001

Notice the install location is D:\imatch6

Is does overwrite these registry entries when imatch is reinstalled.

I tried uninstalling and deleting C:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6 registry folder and the imatch config files (C:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6).  The program still did not ask about the installation path.

Mario

This is how the Inno Setup installer works. I have set it to allow input of the program folder for the first install (although I think i will remove that in the next update).
Installing outside the program files or app data folder may interfere with built-in security measures in Windows and virus checkers. In these times it can be dangerous to allow programs to run from arbitrary folders.

The registry keys you quote are created by IMatch, not by the installer.
The look OK. What problem do you have? Even your non-standard D:\\imatch install folder (NOT recommended) is listed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jstar333

My problem is the 5.2 installer did not honor my previous install location at D:\imatch6 but instead installed imatch to C:\Program files\imatch6.   It did this without ever asking were I wanted to install the program.   I ended up with two different version of imatch installed on my computer.  One copy on the C: drive and another copy on the D: Drive.  The reason for including the registry keys was to show the original imatch install location.

Mario

I don't recommend installing in a folder not designated by Windows for applications. Which is "<system drive>\program files".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator