Help - Error when writing back meta data

Started by hluxem, April 10, 2020, 03:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

Hello all,

I have an issue writing back meta data to files and have tried many different things but can't find a solution. I know it's not an Imatch issue, but maybe somebody has seen this problem before and has a suggestion. I have several scanned images which have an issue writing back meta data to the files. It looks like the files are read only or locked from some other process, but as far as I can tell they are not. Even when I copy the files using windows explorer or the renamer tool in Imatch this will not change.

When I hit the yellow pencil I receive an error message, the ExifTool output shows:
-execute9999
and then list all writable file extensions.

The Metadata analysis app shows some required Exif tags missing. I do have files with the same missing tags with no error on write back.

I'm not able to rename the files in Imatch either. The message says to make sure the file is not write-protected, not in use and that there are sufficient privileges to change the file. Renaming in Windows Explorer works fine.

The really confusing thing is sometimes I'm able to rename the file and then write back the meta data, but the error comes back.

Thanks,

Heiner

Mario

What error messages are logged?
Maybe Windows or some other component is logging the file?

For RAW images, WIC may lock the file for some time even after IMatch has crated the cache image.
If you have the Viewer open or the Quick View panel at the same time you try to write-back, this could cause issues.
Closing the Quick View Panel then helps. If not, restarting IMatch helps to make WIC unlock all files.

If you work with JPEG files or the cache has already been created, the problem is something different.
Seeing a log file would help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

Thank you so much Mario!

You solved my problem. I probably would have never figured that out.

QuoteIf you have the Viewer open or the Quick View panel at the same time you try to write-back

That was it, just closing the viewer in the back ground or close the Quick View panel solves the problem. I tried so many different things and the solution is so easy.

I attached a debug log file just in case, writing back the data with either the Quick View panel or Viewer open and closed. Open creates the error, closed works as intended. Very repeatable with this set of jpg files.

These are all just jpg files, but I did see in the log file that there is a WIC codec installed for JPG. The only Codec I can remember is the FastPictureViewer Codec, don't know how the others got in. WIC diagnostic is attached too.

Thanks again,

Heiner

Mario

For JPG files, IMatch by default does not create cache images (makes not much sense).
You are actually trying to modify a file IMatch has loaded in the Viewer or QuickView Panel or which was probably still in the WIC or DirectX cache. Windows then locks the file.
IMatch closes the file after loading it, but sometimes Windows keeps a lock on the file for reason unknown to me. Does not happen always but this is basically a black box.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook