Saved Workspaces & IMatch Default Settings

Started by Darius1968, April 01, 2020, 03:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

In order to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with IMatch about the Events Filter, I launched IMatch with its default settings.  I found that this has deleted all of my saved workspaces.  Even though within the program itself, those workspaces appear lost, is there still a folder on the disk storage that has them?  If not, my last database backup is about 2 days old.  Any way to recover the workspaces from that?  Thanks. 

Mario

Workspaces and all other settings are stored in IMatch settings database C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\imatch.pts
See 2. The Settings Database, Presets, Templates, Apps
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2020, 08:52:50 AM
Workspaces and all other settings are stored in IMatch settings database C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\imatch.pts
See 2. The Settings Database, Presets, Templates, Apps

And I cannot emphasize enough to be sure this PTS file is included in any and all database backups... I had to rebuild all the settings recently because while my DB and images have been backed up for years... I guess I never backed up my pts file which became corrupt somehow... deleting the pts file at least allowed me access to the DB backup.. but it would have been nice not to recreate all my settings.

Mario

Your daily backup routine should always contain the "program data" folder. Because all applications store important and often otherwise irretrievable information there.
You should keep your daily backups for weeks, your weekly backups for months and your monthly backups for years...

It is so easy these days to make daily backups and to retain them. Powerful backup software like Macrium Reflect or TrueImage. 80$ for a 4 TB external hard disk which can hold months of backups (and a second disk for swapping).
There is a saying in the IT "No backup. No mercy".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2020, 03:38:14 PM
Your daily backup routine should always contain the "program data" folder. Because all applications store important and often otherwise irretrievable information there.
You should keep your daily backups for weeks, your weekly backups for months and your monthly backups for years...

It is so easy these days to make daily backups and to retain them. Powerful backup software like Macrium Reflect or TrueImage. 80$ for a 4 TB external hard disk which can hold months of backups (and a second disk for swapping).

True.. I'm going to change my C drive backup scheme today... been just doing an "overwrite" scheme on my drive with Monthly complete images... but, think I'll just add the entire C drive to a differential daily and keep for 30 days.. as you say - space is cheap and having 30 days of restore should prevent what I encountered recently!

Mario

I have never lost important data since I do proper backups.
And I lose two or three disks (or SSDs) per year due to excessive wear. And keyboards/mouses, but that's another thing  :D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2020, 03:38:14 PM

Where can this folder be found? So that I can add it to my Backup.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Open Windows Explorer and type

%PROGRAMDATA%

into the address bar at the top.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator