Persons "family membership" database property

Started by plastikman, March 30, 2020, 09:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

I love the new People editor. What I miss is a "family membership" property field in which I can categorize people as a member of a family. This can of course be done with keywords but this makes it more convoluted (similar to how you could also say put "Friends" as a keyword instead of a database property but the choice was made to make it a property. The existing categories are great but if I would create one for each family (Family A, B, C etc.) it would get very messy quick. So I use them for broad categories as "Family", "Friends" as also suggested by the default configuration.

So I would like one extra database field in addition to the already great existing ones where you can enlist a person to one or more families (e.g. the one born into and the one married into) since these are very easy to filter, print and configure.

Mario

If you use a keyword for this, you can easily make your images arrange in @Keywords, even in family hierarchies.
And the family membership would be immediately accessible in all features which work with keywords, from searching/filters to variables to sorting.

The family would also stored in the image metadata, which makes it accessible for other applications and services.
If this is not desired, you can do the same, but use categories instead of keywords.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

Thanks, I agree for interoperability keywords are best but the same can then be said of course for the whole Persons and Events features that where added in 2020 which are all separate from keywords and thus not interoperable (e.g. an event database event in IMatch 2020 is not recognized in DXO PhotoLab).

Maybe I am not using the current functionality right. What I am struggling with is the following:

- Event | Birthday
- Person | Adams Family | Tim Adams
- Pet | Pluto

These are some fictional examples from my Thesaurus. Event, Person and Pet are all groups in my Thesaurus. This means they won't show in keywords. Can I still filter them using data-driven categories and such? The only way I manage to do this is by making them not groups (by not setting them as groups in Thesaurus) and writing the actual Event, Person and Pet groups to hierarchical keywords (which I don't want to do since I don't like hierarchical keywords and all the headaches they create).

Ideally, I would filter have a data driven category named "Persons" with "Adams Family" as Level A and "Tim Adams" as Level B. But since my hierarchy is only in the Thesaurus and not in the actual keywords, it doesn't seem to be possible. I guess I am doing it in the wrong way but not sure how to do it right either without creating a huge keyword mess.

Mario

If you mark a level as a group level in the thesaurus, it becomes a purely organizational level and is never added to the actual keyword.
So WHO|Families|Adams becomes Families|Adams.
The trick is to have enough information in the keyword to do what you want (like grouping by family in @Keywords).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook