Pro&Con RAW Processing: WIC - iMatch (LibRaw) & embedded JPG preview

Started by abgestumpft, March 27, 2020, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abgestumpft

Hi,

in iMatch we have two main-options to control how the RAW files are handled:

a) "Prefer photools.com RAW processing" (via Preferences -> Application)
Yes = use iMatchs internal LibRAW
NO = use Windows WIC codec

b) "Use embedded preview" (via Preferences -> Cache)
Yes = extract embedded JPG file
No = convert RAW to JPG

What are the pros and cons of iMatch internal LibRAW vs. Windows WIC codec?
Has one of them advantages /disadvantages in some areas?

For Embeddes JPG vs RAW I have this:
JPG:
+ Fast Import
+ Fast culling through images
+ Smaller Cache
+ Correct brightness
- Depending on Camera the embedded JPG is smaller than the RAW file (those dimensions are also used by iMatch)
- Special Case Olympus RAW files in Portrait Rotation: when using latest WIC Codec they are shown horizontal *1

RAW:
+ Full Size Preview
+ Special Case Olympus RAW files in Portrait Rotation: shown correctly
- Long import (around 4 - 10x slower than JPG)
- Brightness of RAW extracted files is wrong *2

I have run some tests with the different combinations (see attachment)

I would go now with (until anyone is aware of a big disadvantage of this setting):
Prefer photools.com RAW processing = YES
Use embedded preview = YES

Some additional notes:
*1 - The latest Olympus WIC codecs are obviously buggy. Also in the Microsoft Fotos App (based on WIC), when loading an .ORF RAW in portrait orientation, the initial preview of the file is shown horizontal (JPG preview) until the RAW file is loaded (changing to portrait orientation). -> JPG Previews using WIC on portrait oriented .ORF files is wrong (does NOT only applys to iMatch). RAW is correct.
*2 - (this also applies for Microsoft Fotos loading RAWs): it seems that both the WIC and the LibRAW don't apply the "baseline exposure" to a RAW file. The baseline exposure tells the RAW converter how much the brightness needs to be changed, to get a correct exposed file. For most of the cameras it's in reagon of 1/3 stops and difference is not big. But e.g. the Olympus Em 1 mark II has baseline exposure of 0,81. This means that the RAW converter should brighten the image by 0,81 stops to get the correct brightness. Looks like this is not happening with WIC and LibRAW -> file is too dark.

Mario

This is why camera vendors should provide a WIC codec. They know their images best and can provide the same rendition they use for in-camera previews.
Windows provides the framework, your camera vendor just delivers the WIC codec ("driver").
All applications with WIC support can load the proprietary RAW, the vendor must not disclose proprietary data, nobody needs to do potential illegal reverse-engineering and all are happy.

If your camera vendor does not deliver a WIC codec, you depend on the good grace of Microsoft or the volunteer-driven LibRaw project.
Your camera vendor has your money and is laughing behind your back.

I would estimate the annual cost for maintaining a WIC codec at a few thousand US$. If your camera vendor is to cheap to pay for this...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook