Pending Metadata Write Issue

Started by J.D. McDowell, October 01, 2013, 12:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.D. McDowell

This is a very unique situation, but I'm finding this a bit annoying with my current workflow.

Sorting through ingested images for culling, tagging etc. I often will come across an image I like and open it in Capture NX2 (nef files obviously.) After a quick couple edits I'll either close it and not save it (didn't like it) or save it with the preliminary edits and keep it for further processing; all simple enough.

Now that the image is saved I click back on my second monitor where I have IM5 open and I then apply a label to the image which designates it as edited.

The issue I have is with the timing now on how this all works. I've turned off automatic write backs for metadata as I found it slowing the program down too much. With manual write backs turned on the problem I have is this, IM5 sees the file as edited, rescans and rereads the file and with that data overwrites my pending metadata write back.

I would have thought that a pending metadata write back would supersede the metadata from the rescanned file, no?

I could save the file with an updated metadata tag in NX2, but I'm reluctant to do that as I've found my whole process runs much smoother when I'm handling all my metadata chores in one place (IM5)