Keywords panel - propagate hierarchical keywords into flat - disable message

Started by graham1, March 02, 2020, 12:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graham1

When the toolbar arrow is pressed, it shows a message that this will propagate hierarchical keywords into flat. Once you know this, it becomes annoying. The tooltip adequately describes its function.  Please include a "Do not show this message again"   checkbox so that it can be disabled.

Graham

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

graham1

Apologies if I have not described it very well.  It's on the Keywords Panel.  It is a red downward facing arrow next to the icon for the thesaurus manger. Click on it and there is a dialogue box entitled "Propagate Keywords?"  It is this dialogue box I am suggesting should have a check box to disable it for the future.

Graham

Mario

This is a very important command.
When you make changes in your thesaurus that affect how hierarchical keywords are promoted into flag keywords (like, changing group or exclude levels), this command is the only place to trigger the propagation again, even if the keywords of the files have not changed. You only need this command in this specific case.

IMatch automatically propagates keywords when you change the hierarchical keywords. But to re-trigger propagation without changing the original keywords, this command is important. But it is also potentially dangerous, because it may affect thousands of files. Clicking the button accidentally could cause a lot of work and a lot of unnecessary pending write-backs.

Users often don't know what this command does.
Users click buttons accidentally.
Always better to not allow them to disable messages for potentially risky commands. Much less support cases that way.

I don't know how often you change your thesaurus in ways that require a re-promotion of keywords. I doubt that most users use this command at all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook