Make "un-pause" in file windo semi-sticky

Started by Carlo Didier, January 08, 2020, 04:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Ok, let me explain this.
Very often, I have a collection or category displayed in the file window and usually I have it set to pause if there are more than 2000 images. So far so good.
Now, I may click on the pause button to "un-pause" temporarily to see all the images. Then I may start making changes like removing images from the collection/category/result window/whatever. As the content of the file window refreshes, the automatic pause is triggered again. I'd like to have the "un-pause" be active until I change the file window to something completely different (another collection/category/folder/whatever).

I know, I can switch off the automatic pause, but then I have to switch it on again (and not forget to do it).

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

mastodon

+1 Oh, yes, it is very annoying to unpause everytime in a work.

Mario

When you enable the automatic pause activation, IMatch has to behave like that. That's what automatic pausing is for.
There is no 3rd state. I don't want to over-complicate this even further. Just switch to never pause and activate pause when needed.

I have not used automatic pausing in a long time, for example.
Even for file windows with 10 or 20 thousand files this is so quick - I only pause when I really need to - manually, and then it of course sticks.

I'm actually thinking about removing the auto-pause feature completely. A manual pause switch and that's it. This would simplify some things in the file window code.
PCs have become so fast these days, auto-pause dates back to IMatch 5.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on January 08, 2020, 06:13:58 PM
I'm actually thinking about removing the auto-pause feature completely. A manual pause switch and that's it. This would simplify some things in the file window code.
PCs have become so fast these days, auto-pause dates back to IMatch 5.

For me this would be a good thing and enough for me.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Then you already have it  :)
Disable auto-pause and you're done.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Yes.. +1 on removing the auto-pause... I rarely want it and agree with the speed of PC's.. Thx.

Carlo Didier

I use autopause all the time because even 2-4 seconds delay to display when I don't really need the files displayed gets annoying.

What do I mean by "when I don't really need the files displayed", you're asking. Well, because of another thing that annoys me all the time.
Imagine this case: You are displaying a set of images from a folder. For some reason, you want to select some and copy/move them to a seperate folder that doesn't exist yet. So I want to right-click on the folder in the "Media & Folders" panel under whch I want to create a new folder to get the context menu to create a subfolder. Annoyingly, this switches the file window to display the contents of that folder (which I don't want!!!!) and if that's the root folder, iMatch will throw 100000 images in the file window ... which I don't want, I just want to create a subfolder!

As that behaviour can't be corrected, I use auto-pause all the time.

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on January 09, 2020, 10:27:12 AM
Imagine this case: You are displaying a set of images from a folder. For some reason, you want to select some and copy/move them to a seperate folder that doesn't exist yet. So I want to right-click on the folder in the "Media & Folders" panel under whch I want to create a new folder to get the context menu to create a subfolder. Annoyingly, this switches the file window to display the contents of that folder (which I don't want!!!!)

This is how I would do it:

1. Select the files you want to move/copy in a File Window and press Ctrl+C (copy) or Ctrl+X (move)
2. Click on the parent folder and create your new folder. Select the new folder
3. Press Ctrl+V

If you know you are going to click a folder with 100,000 files, pause the File Window before. Then the pause also sticks until you explicitly un-pause.
Auto pause is a convenience feature from old days when computers were slower and IMatch was slower.
Usually for typical folder sizes of a few hundred or thousand files auto-pause is not needed.

Much less hassle. You can do the same to assign files to categories and collections.
See: Working with Files

IMatch 2020 introduces a cool new feature named IMatch Clipboard which further speeds up this process, especially if you need to consolidate files from various folders or disks.
This tool has been born from project work, consolidating and managing huge files or files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on January 09, 2020, 10:27:12 AM
I use autopause all the time because even 2-4 seconds delay to display when I don't really need the files displayed gets annoying.

What do I mean by "when I don't really need the files displayed", you're asking. Well, because of another thing that annoys me all the time.
Imagine this case: You are displaying a set of images from a folder. For some reason, you want to select some and copy/move them to a seperate folder that doesn't exist yet. So I want to right-click on the folder in the "Media & Folders" panel under whch I want to create a new folder to get the context menu to create a subfolder. Annoyingly, this switches the file window to display the contents of that folder (which I don't want!!!!) and if that's the root folder, iMatch will throw 100000 images in the file window ... which I don't want, I just want to create a subfolder!

As that behaviour can't be corrected, I use auto-pause all the time.

You can also use the powerful and seldom used "results window"... select your images and Ctrl-G,R... you selected images are now in a new file window... you can create a new subfolder and then drag/drop you images from the results window... result windows are fantastic!

Carlo Didier

Thanks, Mario and Jingo, but your solutions seem more complicated to me.
Also, usually (in Windows Explorer for example, but in most any application I use), right-clicking on something does not select/open it but only display a context menu. So that would be more consitent with usual behaviors of other applications and Windows.

Mario

The context menu of a folder has commands which operate on the files in selected folder.
I don't see any sense on working with a selected folder A but showing the files in folder B. You won't be able to see what you are doing or which files you work with!
This can lead to all kinds of problems, including data loss.

I'm sorry if you find this so inconveniencing but IMatch works that way since version 3 and I guess that most users don't see a problem with this.
You don't like how auto-pause works. You don't want (as I understand it) press pause yourself if needed. There is no 3rd option.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

It's still inconsistent with usual conventions.
If I right-click on an image in the file window, I get a context menu, but the image isn't opened or sent to the viewer, right?
So why then, if I right-click on a folder, should I get anything else than just the context menu? If I right-click on anything, anywhere, I expect a context menu to open to give me choices of what to do, nothing else. That's the way right-clicking works just about anywhere.

Mario

QuoteIf I right-click on an image in the file window, I get a context menu, but the image isn't opened or sent to the viewer, right?

??  ::)

I guess I cannot make IMatch work the way you want it. There is auto-pause. There is manual pause.
It's so easy to pause the file window with Ctrl+SPACE when needed, e.g. before you start to create folders elsewhere...

I will not change IMatch to allow users to run commands on folders which are not loaded. I'm sure you can find other software which does things differently.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator