Author Topic: IMatch Lens ID not showing full lens ID  (Read 218 times)

monochrome

IMatch Lens ID not showing full lens ID
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »
This is a problem that seems to have started in August of this year.

In short: For my lenses, the photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0 will show, for example, "15mm f/2.4 G" (incomplete) while the "real" lens id - "Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly" (complete) - ends up in the Composite\Nikon::LensID\LensID\0 tag. This seems to have started at about August 4, 2019, because all my photos from before then have the right lens info in the right tag - all photos after have it in the wrong tag.

As a consequence, the camera dashboard in the Metadata panel can't display any lens information.

I suspect this has something to do with how Exiftool outputs lens IDs - I sure didn't expect the lens ID to be a Nikon specific tag I I vaguely recall it not being so previously - but it seems that IMatch should also look to that Nikon-specific tag when trying to create its own metadata.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: IMatch Lens ID not showing full lens ID
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 06:11:20 PM »
ExifTool usually figures out the 'best' lens id and puts it into one of the lens id tags from which IMatch constructs the virtual lens IMatch\2900\lens tag.
I've created this special tag to deal with the fact that ExifTool makes up lens id tags dynamically, with different names and ids, depending on the format and state of the EXIF data.

The lens id is produced from several different tags, sometimes ExifTool uses 4 or 6 other tags to figure out the lens. Nikon is notorious for making the lens data hard to read by reusing ids, partially encrypting data etc. Currently IMatch uses these tags to form the IMatch lens id:

Composite\Exif::LensID\LensID
XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0
Exif::Main\42036\LensModel
Exif::Main\42034\LensInfo
Composite\Nikon::LensSpec\LensSpec
Composite\Canon::Lens\Lens

Top down, first tag with data wins. As you can see, this is not exact science and IMatch tries hard to find the tag with the best value.

Do you use Pack & Go?
Did you perhaps replace the new metadata config file shipped with recent IMatch versions with an older version by restoring an old Pack & Go package?
Check the file

V:\develop\IMatch5\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\immbcfg.xml

and search for 2900. Does the corresponding entry look like the one above?
If so, ExifTool produces yet another tag for the metadata in your camera and does not populate any of the standard fields used by IMatch for the custom IMatch LensID tag.

I would need an example image with complete metadata to tell more.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:11:30 PM by Mario »

monochrome

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 08:14:38 AM »
I haven't used pack & Go on this installation. This is the contents:

Code: [Select]
<tag name="lens" tag="image" class="composite" id="2900" type="string">
<desc lang="en">Lens</desc>
<desc lang="de">Objektiv</desc>
<source>Composite\Exif::LensID\LensID</source>
<source>XMP::exifEX\LensModel\LensModel\0</source>
<source>Exif::Main\42036\LensModel</source>
<source>Exif::Main\42034\LensInfo</source>
<source>Composite\Nikon::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Canon::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Sony::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Olympus::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Panasonic::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Sigma::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
<source>Composite\Tamron::LensSpec\LensSpec</source>
</tag>

The thing is, when using the Exiftool command processor to list the metadata for the file, the correct lens id appears in the [Composite] section:

Code: [Select]
[Composite]     Lens ID                         : Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly

It just ends up in the Composite\Nikon::LensID\LensID and not the Composite\Exif::LensID\LensID (Nikon instead of Exif).

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 09:04:31 AM »
This looks about correct. I've cleaned this up a bit for IMatch 2020, so the current list is shorter.

Check each of these tags, starting at the top to see which data ExifTool returns for the tag.
IMatch checks each of these tags and the first tag with a value is used for the 2900 virtual tag.

It can easily be that Nikon has moved the lens data in your files somewhere, and ExifTool now makes up another dynamic tag name.
This has happened on occasion in the past. But usually the Composite\Exif::LensID is filled with the best data, and hence IMatch checks this first.

monochrome

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
The Composite\Exif::LensID is empty for me. The lens id is either in Composite\Nikon::LensID or Composite\XMP::LensID. The thing is, I haven't changed camera or firmware, so I don't think it's Nikon that's moving tags around.

How do I get ExifTool to print the IMatch-tag name? In both cases above, the output I get from the Exiftool processor has the right information in [Composite] Lens ID. I don't know where the "Exif", "Nikon" or "XMP" part of the IMatch tag name comes.

Also, which tag is used to populate the Camera Dashboard lens id? I edited the immbcfg.xml file to import Composite\Nikon::LensID and Composite\XMP::LensID, and now the photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens is correct, but the camera dashboard display is still blank.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »
Composite\Nikon\... most likely means yet another a custom Nikon tag ExifTool has invented for your camera / file.
May only exist for some NEF file variants, I don't know.

Tip: Don't change configuration files, they will be replaces when you install IMatch the next time.

The last change on the camera dashboard was years ago, I don't remember the tags used but I think I recall I used a set of tags which were properly populated for the 1000s of test files in my collection. Nikon always makes this so hard, and then users contact me to find a solution for their specific file format or metadata version. They never ask Nikon to conform to standards and do the proper thing...

If you send me a sample image I can look into it next year. This year is almost fully blocked with other work and I'm running out of time on all ends.
No time to deal with yet another metadata mess currently. Especially if it affects only one user or only some files.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 01:50:19 PM by Mario »

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »
Any news on this?

I have tried a number of files here, but all show full lens info in the dashboard.