Win 10 Migration successfull

Started by Winfried, November 14, 2019, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winfried

Yesterday I migrated my 7 year old Win 7 Pro System to Win 10.
One reason for waiting so long is the special hardware I need. A ISDN-controller (Fritz-Card) an a SCSI-controller for an nearly 20 Years old negative and slide scanner (Canon FS4000US).

First step as usual is backup.
For this purpose I cloned the system disk (256 BG SSD) to a new one with 1TB. I started the PC with this new disk and started the migration. About 3 hours later the migration was done and the new system ready. Both "exotic"-controller are working. I am able to use the Scanner with VueScan and the Fritz-Card for my inhouse telefon-system.
I had to deactivate/activate Capture One. No problem with DxO 2. Test-Version of DxO 3 that does not install on Win 7 (as documanted), installs on Win 10.
So everything seemes to be fine.
My system is ready for IMatch 2020.

Winfried

thrinn

QuoteMy system is ready for IMatch 2020.
Congratulations! Personally, I do not miss Windows 7 at all after I migrated to Windows 10.

Just to be sure: Did you check the AVX capability like described in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9382. I did not find your name in the thread.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Winfried

Yes, I checked that. It's ok.

Winfried

loweskid

I'm curious to know why you needed the SCSI card for the scanner?  I have the same scanner but I've always used it with the USB connection.

Winfried

Quote from: loweskid on November 15, 2019, 04:56:36 PM
I have the same scanner but I've always used it with the USB connection.
This is a question  of performance/speed. The USB of this scanner is only usb1.1.
The data-rate of the scanner is higher than usb1.1. In my environment a scan using usb1.1 for data-transfers takes twice the time when using SCSI.
With usb the scanner allways has to wait for the usb1.1 to transfer the data.

Winfried

loweskid

Thanks for the reply.  You are quite right - it is very slow.  In fact I've been experimenting with copying slides with a DSLR and I'm very pleased with the results so far and it's much faster, so the scanner might be on ebay soon... :)

sinus

Quote from: loweskid on November 16, 2019, 12:57:49 AM
Thanks for the reply.  You are quite right - it is very slow.  In fact I've been experimenting with copying slides with a DSLR and I'm very pleased with the results so far and it's much faster, so the scanner might be on ebay soon... :)

I have an old UMAX-SCSI scanner, very heavy and big, I bought it long ago with a big percent-advantage, but the costs were about 5000 Euros.
If I compare it with a "scan" with a Micro-Nikkor and a DLSR, the result is even better and ways quicker.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Winfried

That was the reason why I sold my Nikon Coolscan LS-50 and bought a Pentax Film Duplicator.
No hussle with drivers and it takes slides, negatives up to 6x7 cm.
And a more familiar workflow with raw-files.
But color-negativs are a bit tricky.

Winfried

jch2103

Quote from: Winfried on November 18, 2019, 01:21:54 PM
But color-negativs are a bit tricky.
Take a look at Negative Lab Pro https://www.negativelabpro.com/. I've only used it briefly during a test, but users seem to be pretty happy.
John