Unable to assign altitude using maps location - what am I missing?

Started by dcb, October 14, 2019, 10:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcb

Hi all. I'm missing something here but I can't tell what it is. Moving from Geosetter to iMatch Maps and I've created a location with name, lat, long and altitude. When I apply the location to an image I get lat and long, not altitude.

What am missing here?

iMatch 2019.8.4 (64-bit)
Have you backed up your photos today?

Mario

NOTE: The board you have used for posting this ("FAQ, Workflow, Tutorials, Tips & Tricks", see the description of the board) is for giving people tips. Writing FAQs, technical articles.
It is not for asking questions.

Please respect the board contents. Don't post in a random board. This helps all users.

If you want to ask a question, the "General Discussion and Questions" is usually the best board.
I will move your post there this time.

Does this only affects the location feature?
How to do you apply the location to the file?
Has the file GPS data before? If so, which coordinates? Created? Shown? Both?
What happens if you use reverse geo-coding? Does it set the alt?
Maybe an unexpected side effect of the dreaded shown/created location (because there is only one Altitude value in the metadata standard, but to separate GPS pairs).

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

wolboe

[GERMAN]
Ich kann dieses Verhalten bestätigen. Wenn man ORTE verwendet, wird (nur) die Höhe aus dem jeweiligen Ort nicht übernommen.
Geocodierung über das Metadatenpanel zeigt diesen Effekt nicht. Die Höhe wird korrekt übernommen.
Die GPS-Daten kommen aus der Kamera.
Die im Ort hinterlegten anderen Daten erscheinen immer in "Shown", nur die Höhe nicht.
(Unter "created" erscheinen bei mir nur Einträge, nachdem man eine Aufnahmerichtung hinzugfügt hat.)
Wolfgang

Mario

Ich habe das analysiert.
Unter Umständen setzt der Location Editor dialog en Flag nicht, mit dem die Altitude als gültig markiert wird.
In diesem Fall wird die Altitude beim Anwenden der Location nicht gesetzt.

Dieser Fehler scheint schon sehr alt zu sein, wurde bisher aber nicht bemerkt.
Ich habe ihn für IMatch 2020 bereits behoben.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

dcb

Sorry Mario for posting in the wrong place.

There is not much more I can add. If I apply the template to a file with GPS metadata it clears out the Altitude. That's applying it with a Metadata template linking to the location or the yellow tick on the map.

If I reverse geocode and type in the altitude it saves correctly.

In the past I've always used metadata templates and directly populated the GPS fields so have only just started using maps.

Google translate tells me there is a bug here that's fixed in the 2020 version.

Mario

Yes, there was a glitch that, under some conditions, failed to mark the Altitude set in the locations dialog as valid.
And this prevents the Altitude from being applied when the location is applied.

This is apparently a very old glitch and it has never been reported. Locations are not that often used.
Most users just use the built-in reverse geocoding in IMatch, which sets not only the Altitude but also address data.

I have fixed the altitude location bug in the IMatch 2020 code base.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

dcb

Interesting that many reverse geocode. I probably will most times but I have maybe 20 locations that are common around town so I resuse those.

jch2103

Quote from: dcb on October 19, 2019, 01:51:47 AM
Interesting that many reverse geocode. I probably will most times but I have maybe 20 locations that are common around town so I resuse those.
If you want to know where your photos were taken, I've found that reverse geocoding is a very efficient way to do that. At least for me it seems easier than calling up a number of memorized locations, but that's just me. The great thing about IM is that it gives users so many choices.
John

Jingo

Quote from: jch2103 on October 19, 2019, 04:50:39 AM
Quote from: dcb on October 19, 2019, 01:51:47 AM
If you want to know where your photos were taken, I've found that reverse geocoding is a very efficient way to do that. At least for me it seems easier than calling up a number of memorized locations, but that's just me. The great thing about IM is that it gives users so many choices.

Same here.. I have just my "home" location setup and that location is added to a number of metadata templates for adding keywords that can only happen at that location... like my cats.  For all other items that I include GPS data for, I reverse geocode.