Automatic GPS position based on time

Started by javiavid, August 10, 2019, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

javiavid

I am reviewing the photos and videos of my last trip and I am finding that some photos do not have GPS (few) and others do.
Also the high-speed framerate videos don't keep my GPS.
I also usually carry a 360 camera that does not have GPS.
Sometimes you get inside a building and the GPS is not going very well.

In short, I have to review the photos individually and copy the GPS position of some photos to others.

Would it be possible to create an option to fill the GPS position based on the time?

An example:
1st photo - GPS fails (maybe because it had been a long time without turning on the phone and does not have the absolutely correct position, maybe it discards it ..)
2nd photo - GPS ok

The difference between one photo and another is 1 minute.

It would be interesting if you could write how many minutes of margin you want to identify as the same position.

Perhaps another option could be that if there are 2 photos with GPS and the intermediate one is missing, it could be filled as half between both points. Imagine that you are going on a route through the mountain with trees.

Another case of lack of GPS are the photos that are sent to you by whatsapp or similar. You arrive from an event, they send you photos and try to include them in your library, they have date and time, but they don't have GPS.

Mario

You can manually copy GPS coordinates between files. Or assign GPS coordinates in the map panel.
You could also write a simple GPX track log and import that in the Map Panel.

Setting up a machinery which analyzes files to find files without GPS coordinates, "nearby files" based on a more or less complex user-configuration (If 10 users want this, they probably want 12 different sets of options...) would be doable - but I doubt pretty much that there are many users who will ever have a use for this. Too complex, too many options required etc. Too expensive to develop.

If the specialized free GeoSetter does not have such a feature, it's not needed. And if it has, you can use it to process your files there. IMatch will automatically ingest the updated GPS coordinates.

Or maybe you can find a tool on the Internet which does this already. If more than a handful of people need such a thing, chances are that there are already solutions.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

javiavid

I will search online maybe there is something similar. I didn't think it was too complicated.
I will also try geosetter.

Maybe one option is to create a GPX from the photos, then I could import it to imatch.
http://pge.bvsoft.be/features.php
This software creates a gpx with waypoint but no path, I will continue searching, although I think it takes less time to do a manual search in imatch haha

hluxem

Hello,
you can create a GPS track with an app on your phone or use a dedicated GPS device. Then just load the track and assign the coordinates. I'm doing that for a long time for hiking or vacation trips. I do have a camera with GPS, but that is usually off quite a bit when switched on.

Not sure if you are aware of the option to copy and paste meta data from the meta data panel. I missed that option and using the map panel wasn't great for copy and paste between shots and the general copy and paste attributes copied too many tags.
Now I have 2 meta data panel with just the tags I want to copy, one just with the location tags and one with the location tags and gps coordinates. All I have to do is select the source, click on the icon copy panel content, select the target files and click on the icon paste the clipboard. That's what I use for most day to day pictures where it's not worth to save a GPS track.

Heiner

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook