Design&Print: page-numbers for book/booklets and so on

Started by sinus, August 07, 2019, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi
I am not sure, if I wrote this somewhere.  8)

added: hmm, maybe you should first see my attachements, before reading.  ;D -really

But I stumbled today again over it, because I have to create a book.

Problem, what was once, is solved, because Mario added two variables (a bit longer since then).
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7396.msg53575#msg53575

If you want create a book or booklet and so on, the first page on the book is one single page, on the right side.
If you turn this first side, you see a double side: the back of this first page, what is page 2 on the left, and on the right page 3.

Now, the preview of Design & Print in IMatch has "only" one page, two page, and so on (a lot more options).
But it has not first one single page and from then always two pages (like in the book).

Also Acrobat Reader offers this not per default, you have explicitely to say, show me first ONE page, then two (in the preferences).

You can add of course a page in IMatch and deletes this page or hide it before printing, but it is not ideal.

A really good solution Maria gave us with the variables (see the link above).
You can say, that a page should be only be visible in IMatch (to pretend a page), but should not be printed.

For this we have the variables:

{Print.Process.DesignMode} This is true when the layout is generated in design mode (for the Designer or the Preview).
{Print.Process.Printing} This is true when the layout is generated for output (printing, image files).

This is fine, but we get a problem with the page-numbers.
IMatch does count this page also, this means, you would see in D&P, a page number 10, but when you print this, it will be number 9.

How to solve this?

I have a solution, what maybe helps you.
Specially if you works with books and so on.

1) Create a page in D&P and set the variable {Print.Process.Printing} into the hidden-field of the page (not on a text or so)
Now this page will not be printed.
But you will see it in the preview of D&P and this page simulates the page 0, the page, what also exists not in reality.

2) Now create all the other pages normally.
The big advantage of this hidden page: if you choose a double -page - view in D&P, the first real page (page 1) will be on the right side, what is correct.
The next two pages, 2 and 3 will be a double-side, what is also correct. And so on.

3) The problem is, if you add page-numbers, they are wrong. Because D&P counts the hidden page also, although it will not be printed.
Therefore in D&P all page-numbers are 1 too big, what is confusing.
Now you can use again a magic variable to overcome this.
Say simply D&P, IF we are in the Design-Mode of D&P, subtract the number minus 1 (sub 1).
If we are not in the Design-Mode, means e.g. print the document, then use the normal Page-number (not sub).

This solution is possible, because Mario added some versions before some basic mathematical stuff to variables, very cool, Mario!
The page-number variable would look like this here:
{Print.Process.DesignMode|numcomp:eq,1,{Print.Document.PageNumber|math:sub,1},{Print.Document.PageNumber}}

Now all the page-numbers are correct in D&P and exactly the same like in the output (see attachement from D&P-Preview and Acrobat Reader).

I know, this stuff is not easy and even more complicated because I am not a native English - speaker and tend to explain things not very clear.  ::) :-[

But I think, if you look at my attachements, you know better, what I mean.

Hope, this helps someone one day ... maybe me myself is happy, one day search again this thread.  ;)

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you want to tell us in your tip. I've read it two times but still...

I guess you want to start the page numbers printed at a different number, e.g. 1 for the first page printed on the right (recto), then 2 for the first left hand page (verso)?

To offset the page number (e.g. ignoring the first 2 pages in this example, starting with page 1 on the right), you can just use the variable:

{Print.Document.PageNumber|math:sub,2}

or

{Print.Document.PageNumber.Printed|math:sub,2}

if you work with hidden pages.

This way you can also do a more classic pagination with roman numerals for lead-in (matter) pages, and then starting with normal page numbers on the first page containing actual content.

See this, for example. I used real big page numbers to make it easier to see. I consider the first right-hand page with an image as "page 1" and hence use an offset of 2 to the sequential page number. If you have four lead-in pages you would just use an offset of 4. Or, if you want to use a non-classical numbering with even page numbers on the right-hand side, you would adjust the offset accordingly. See attachment 2.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 08, 2019, 09:05:37 AM
I'm not quite sure that I understand what you want to tell us in your tip. I've read it two times but still...

Puh, SORRY, Mario, as I wrote already "I am not a native English - speaker and tend to explain things not very clear. "

Sorry, no wonder, that you do not cleary understand.

Thanks for your work anyway, I will have to read your sentences carefully and write again later these days.
Now I have to go some pics (or events  ;D) in Bern.
Markus

sinus

English und Deutsch (weiter unten)

English:
Mario, I'm sorry I didn't explain this so well.
I'm trying to make it easier:

I took your first example and put the pictures in Design & Print.
IMatch doesn't have something that Acrobat Reader (or other programs) have:
With the Reader you can reproduce a book as pdf GENAU.
This is not possible with "Design & Print".

Why not?
Because there is no single first page "hidden Ghost-page" in D&P.
I can choose a two-page view, but I can't choose a view that accurately simulates a book.
Because with a book, the first page (on the right) is always a single page.
You turn the pages and then you have the first double page in front of you and so on.

So I can simulate a book with a pdf-reader or with Indesign GENAU and the view and the page numbers are perfect.
This is not possible with IMatch.
And that's why I tried to show it with the trick and the "hidden-page", for other users.
But I apparently failed, sorry for that.

I realize that D&P can't replace a DTP program like InDesign, etc., it's not supposed to.
Nevertheless, if I could choose, as with Acrobat, whether D&P should display a "ghost page" first, the problem would be solved and the trick would never have to be used anyway.

I've included 3 attachements so you know what I mean.
1) Your pages once, how to display them in Reader and how to display them in D&P. The reader displays them correctly, like a book, with D&P the pages are displayed "wrong".

2) The setting in the reader, if it is not already set, so that first such a "Ghost-page" is used.

3) This is how the pages are displayed in InDesign when you select a two-page view.

4) Even with the classic pagination and page display of a book, the first page (before the dirty title) is displayed empty, i.e. as "hidden Ghost-page", so that the double pages are correct.

Important: as I said, this should not be a feature request, but a trick, so that you still have a view within D&P, like a correct book.
You just have to create a page, which is only displayed in D&P, but not printed.

Hm, I don't think I can explain this well even in German. :-[
Hopefully you understand what I mean when you look at the attachments.

Deutsch:
Mario, sorry, dass ich das nicht so gut erklärt habe.
Ich versuche es einfacher:

Ich habe mal Dein erstes Beispiel genommen und die Bilder in "Design & Print" reingenommen.
IMatch hat etwas nicht, dass Acrobat Reader (oder andere Programme) haben:
Mit dem Reader kann man ein Buch als pdf GENAU wiedergeben.
Das geht mit "Design & Print" nicht.

Warum nicht?
Weil es keine einzelne erste Seite "hidden Ghost-page" in D&P gibt.
Ich kann eine Zweiseiten-Ansicht wählen, aber ich kann keine Ansicht wählen, die GENAU ein Buch simuliert.
Denn bei einem Buch ist ja die erste Seite (rechts) immer eine einzelne Seite.
Die blättert man um und dann hat man die erste Doppelseite vor sich und so weiter.

Ich kann also mit einem pdf-Reader oder mit Indesign GENAU ein Buch simulieren und die Ansicht und die Seitenzahlen stimmen perfekt.
Das geht mit IMatch nicht.
Und deshalb habe ich versucht, das mit dem Trick und der "hidden-page" aufzuzeigen, für andere user.
Aber das ist mir offenbar misslungen, sorry für das.

Mir ist klar, dass D&P kein DTP-Programm wie InDesign usw ersetzen kann, soll es auch nicht.
Trotzdem, könnte ich, wie bei Acrobat, bei der Zweiseitenansicht wählen, ob D&P zuerst eine "Ghost-Seite" anzeigen soll, dann wäre das Problem gelöst und der Trick müsste eh nie angewandt werden.

Ich habe 3 attachement beigelegt, so dass Du bestimmt weisst, was ich meine.
1) Deine Seiten einmal, wie man sie im Reader darstellen kann und wie sie in D&P dargestellt werden. Der Reader stellt sie korrekt dar, wie ein Buch, bei D&P sind die Seiten halt "falsch" dargestellt.

2) Die Einstellung im Reader, wenn sie nicht schon eingestellt ist, damit zuerst eben so eine "Ghost-page" verwendet wird.

3) So werden die Seiten in InDesign dargestellt, wenn man eine Zweiseiten-Ansicht wählt.

4) Auch bei der klassischen Darstellung der Paginierung und Seiten eines Buches wird die erste Seite (vor dem Schmutztitel) leer, also als "hidden Ghost-page" dargestellt, damit die Doppelseiten stimmen.

Wichtig: wie gesagt, das sollte eben kein Feature Request sein, sondern ein Trick, damit man innerhalb D&P trotzdem eine Ansicht hat, wie ein korrektes Buch.
Dazu muss man eben eine Seite erstellen, welche nur in D&P angezeigt wird, aber nicht ausgedruckt wird.

Hm, ich glaube, ich kann das nicht mal auf Deutsch gut erklären.  :-[
Hoffentlich verstehst Du, was ich meine, wenn Du die Attachements anschaust.
Markus

Mario

Design & Print zeigt immer alle Seiten an. Es kennt und braucht keine "Ghost Pages". Wozu?

In Deinem Screen Shot fehlt die U2 (also die Innenseite links des Deckblatts). Daher zeigt D&P Seite 1 links an und nicht rechts. Ein einfach zu lösendes Problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 12, 2019, 12:54:49 PM
Design & Print zeigt immer alle Seiten an. Es kennt und braucht keine "Ghost Pages". Wozu?

In Deinem Screen Shot fehlt die U2 (also die Innenseite links des Deckblatts). Daher zeigt D&P Seite 1 links an und nicht rechts. Ein einfach zu lösendes Problem.

Wozu?
Wozu braucht dann der Reader oder InDesign oder andere solche "Ghost Pages"?
Weil sonst die Ansicht bei einer Doppel-Seiten-Ansicht auf dem Schirm nicht stimmt, man könnte ein pdf eines Buches nicht wie ein echtes Buch auf dem Schirm anschauen.
Die "U2-Seite" hat nichts mit dem Inhalt (dem Buchblock) zu tun. U2 ist die linke innere Seite des Buchumschlages.

Bei Deinem Beispiel weiter oben betrachtest Du wahrscheinlich die schwarze Seite "Food Photography" als U1 und die nachfolgende weisse Seite "FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY BOOK ONE... " als U2.
Dieses pdf könntest Du aber vielen Druckereien nicht so senden, denn die würden alles als Innenseiten drucken. Käme falsch raus.
Auf dem Schirm allein, klar, da ist es ok.

Sorry, für das "Kuddel-Muddel", ausgelöst durch meinen Tip-Versuch.
Du kannst das ja einfach so stehen lassen, wenn es mal jemand liest, gut, wenn nicht, auch gut. 
;D

Ich wollte Dir nur nochmals die Problematik zeigen, die ich sehe und aber mit meinem Vorgehen lösen kann!

1)
Wenn ich einfach eine Seite U2 hinzufüge, wird die Zwei-Seiten-Ansicht innerhalb IMatch korrekt sein, richtig.
Aber die Seitenzahlen werden falsch sein.
Und wenn ich diese Seiten dann einfach als pdf speichere und einer Druckerei sende (wie BoD, Beck-Verlag usw), dann wird diese Seite auch gedruckt werden und die folgenden wiederum falsch links-rechts sein.

Deshalb MUSS diese zusätzliche Seite hidden sein, das ist das, was ich geschrieben hatte:
1) Create a page in D&P and set the variable {Print.Process.Printing} into the hidden-field of the page (not on a text or so)
Now this page will not be printed.

2)
Zudem sind die weiteren Seitenzahlen in IMatch falsch. Das hatte ich mit dem Absatz gemeint:
The problem is, if you add page-numbers, they are wrong. Because D&P counts the hidden page also, although it will not be printed.
This solution is possible, because Mario added some versions before some basic mathematical stuff to variables, very cool, Mario!
The page-number variable would look like this here:
{Print.Process.DesignMode|numcomp:eq,1,{Print.Document.PageNumber|math:sub,1},{Print.Document.PageNumber}}

Einfach eine Seite U2 hinzufügen, genügt also meiner Ansicht nach sicher nicht, wenn man ein Buch oder dergleichen gestalten will.

(Das ist aus meiner Sicht also gar nicht ein so einfach zu lösendes Problem.
Eine wirklich einfache Lösung wäre ein Feld, wie beim Reader, das ich einfach anklicken kann oder nicht, "Deckblatt bei 2 Seiten einblenden".
Wenn angeklickt, würde eben ganz anfangs ein Deckblatt eingerechnet, das im Prinzip Deine U2 simulieren würde. Diese "Ghost Page" hätte aber keinen Einfluss auf die Seitenzahlen und würde nicht gedruckt werden.
Das wäre die perfekte Lösung, aber mir ist klar, D&P ist kein echte DTP-Programm, trotzdem bin ich ja super-zufrieden damit, nein, sogar super-duper zufrieden! )

Markus

Mario

QuoteBei Deinem Beispiel weiter oben betrachtest Du wahrscheinlich die schwarze Seite "Food Photography" als U1 und die nachfolgende weisse Seite "FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY BOOK ONE... " als U2.
Dieses pdf könntest Du aber vielen Druckereien nicht so senden, denn die würden alles als Innenseiten drucken. Käme falsch raus.

Nee. "BOOK ONE" wäre Seite III, nach dem schwarzen Deckblatt fehlt bei dir eine Seite.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on August 12, 2019, 06:20:01 PM
QuoteBei Deinem Beispiel weiter oben betrachtest Du wahrscheinlich die schwarze Seite "Food Photography" als U1 und die nachfolgende weisse Seite "FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY BOOK ONE... " als U2.

Nee. "BOOK ONE" wäre Seite III, nach dem schwarzen Deckblatt fehlt bei dir eine Seite.

Ich habe Dein Attachement 1 genommen, und da gibt es keine weisse Seite nach dem schwarzen Deckblatt.

Ist aber egal, ob mit oder weissem Deckblatt, das "Problem" bleibt bestehen, eine echte Zweiseitenansicht wie ein Buch funktioniert in IMatch nicht ohne etwas "Arbeit".
Muss ja auch nicht, ist ja kein echtes DTP-Programm.

Es geht nur, wenn Du VORNE eine Seite einfügst, als "ghost Page" oder als U2, wie Du es nennen willst.

Dann muss man nur noch schauen, dass diese ERSTE "ghost Page" NICHT gedruckt wird, und man muss noch die Seitenzahlen anpassen, dann ist es perfekt.

Das meinte ich eigentlich mit meinem Tip, nicht mehr und nicht weniger.  8)

Denn ich muss  immer wieder Bücher gestalten und die pdfs an (verschiedene) Druckereien liefern.
Und da ist es eben super, wenn die Preview-Ansicht in D&P wie auch im Acrobat Reader gleich ist inklusive Seitenzahlen und links/rechts und mit diesem Vorgehen klappt es super!

Ich wüsste fast gar nicht, was ich ohne IMatch machen würde.
Das neueste Buch zb hat rund 370 Seiten, alle mit Bildern.
Und dann kommt 1 Tag vor Abgabe der Kunde und will noch 10 Bildern mehr an verschiedenen Stellen neu haben (natürlich immer mit Metadaten).

Kannst Dir ja vorstellen, mit D&P KEIN Problem. Super-Tool!  :)

Markus

Mario

Ich würde das immer so layouten:
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

I think, this thread here is quite difficult to understand and only for very few users helpful.
Hence if you do not work with Book-Layouts and Pagenumbers, this is for sure not interesting for you.  ;D

Therefore the following variable will not help many people. Nevertheless, I write it down here, maybe it will help me myself.   8)

{Print.Process.DesignMode|is:1,{Print.Document.PageNumber|math:sub,1;numcomp:eq,13,false,true},{Print.Document.PageNumber|numcomp:eq,13,false,true}}

This variable is used if you want to use single pages with a layout for only one page in a dynamic template.

This variable is placed in the hidden field of the page.

Translated means the variable:
IF you are in design mode, then subtract 1 from the page number (sub 1) and if this subtracted number is 13, then display "false".
That is, THEN this page 13 is NOT hidden and will be displayed.
IF you are NOT in design mode, take the page number WITHOUT deduction and if the number is 13, set "false", so this page will be printed.

It's complicated, but I haven't found another solution.
All this is only relevant anyway, IF you want to design a book and want to have the display in double page format (like a real book) in IMatch AND in Adobe Acrobat.
This way you can also see exactly in D&P how the book will look like, with left-right and page numbers, like in Acrobat or InDesign.

If I have to design a book with 420 pages and (almost) all pages are the same, then I'm much, much faster with D&P than with InDesign, although I wouldn't have this problem there.

Markus