Make setting altitude in reverse geocoding selectable (-> aerial imaging)

Started by lbo, March 29, 2019, 09:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbo

Hi,

currently, "reverse geocode" retrieves not only names (Country, State, City, Location) but also the terrain elevation from the location provider (Google etc.) and sets the altitude field to this elevation.

This is not applicable in any situation and therefore I suggest to implement a configuration option, whether to set the image altitude to the retrieved terrain elevation or let it untouched.

Rationale:

Although many photographers stand on the terrain while taking the photograph, this is not necessarily true for all cases.

You can stand on a high tower or sit in a plane or use a drone, then the altitude field must not be set to the elevation.

The existing option "Fill only empty fields" is not sufficient, because you still should be able to overwrite the textual location description (location detail Country/State/City/Location) without killing the valuable altitude information.

Oliver

lbo

A small addition not worth a separate request:

Please consider to change the word "Location" to "Sublocation" in

• Reverse Geocoding dialog and
  • "1 Default" metadata Panel

While the "5 GPS Metadata" Panel conforms to MWG and IPTC Core Spec's wording "Sublocation", the above mentioned places use the phrase "Location" which can cause confusion. The same thing shall have the same name in all places.

Carlo Didier

Hmm, for the location taken the altitude should be set. I get my GPS data from a track log from my phone and it gives the position and altitude of the camera when I take the picture. That altitude is a correct part of the 3D position of my camera when I take the picture.

As to "Location" and "sublocation", +1 for using the same designation everywhere.

lbo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on March 29, 2019, 11:13:38 AM
Hmm, for the location taken the altitude should be set. I get my GPS data from a track log from my phone and it gives the position and altitude of the camera when I take the picture. That altitude is a correct part of the 3D position of my camera when I take the picture.

Exactly that's my point: It shall be possible to keep existing GPS altitude.

Currently, IMatch overwrites this valuable data with the terrain elevation retrieved from a location provider ( e.g. Google) if you do "Reverse Geocoding".

Therefore I request to add a separate check box for the altitude field whether to set it with elevation data from a location provider. The existing "Fill only empty fields" checkbox is not sufficient as I described before.

Oliver

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook