Map search on "Location Shown" aka "destination" coordinates

Started by lbo, March 23, 2019, 10:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbo

Hi all,

please support my suggestion to extend the "Select Circle" and "Select Polygon" options in the "Find" menu of the Map Panel to optionally search for  "destination coordinates".

Rationale:

Recording camera coordinates and "destination" coordinates aka "Location Shown" (MWG speak) in the image adds value to your metadata. It tells you viewing direction and viewing angle, both is already displayed in the great IMatch Map Panel.

In landscape and aerial photography, this information can be essential. Likely there are other applications I'm not aware of.

In addition, please spread the word about "destination coordinates". Using them is still somewhat "specific", but this is IMO a chicken egg problem (few applications make use dest coordinates).

When I pointed out this possibility to the image agency I'm working with, they extended their system to use "dest" coordinates with fallback to standard coordinates. All you have to do is talk to people.

See the image below of a track of aerial photography in an urban area. The camera position is not helpful to find the images showing a specific place but the dest coordinates let you find the image of a place/building etc. And you don't want to throw away the camera position, either, will you?

Oliver

lbo

just a reminder: Since this request got the same number of immediate supporters as Ignore diacritics, what do you think about it?

Oliver

Mario

I have not moved this to archived, so it's still current.
No actions from me to far. IMatch 2020, maybe. Or when I have to touch the Map Panel substantially again.
You can always use the Filer Panel to search for location shown, right?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2019, 02:17:18 PM
You can always use the Filer Panel to search for location shown, right?

Yes, but it seems to be very difficult, unless I only missed the right method.

Can you suggest an efficient way how I can use the Filter Panel to find images with target coordinates within a specific rectangle or circle?

Oliver

Mario

The Filter panel allows you to search within a distance of a specified coordinate in the GPS panel.
There are no provisions to draw a circle or polygon of course.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2019, 04:37:59 PM
The Filter panel allows you to search within a distance of a specified coordinate in the GPS panel.

How can I get it working on destination aka shown coordinates?

And there is also the question how to get the coordinate values entered. There is a button "Selected File" to import "the coordinates" of the selected file, but for example not from the target marker of the map (which would be a nice improvement).

Oliver

Mario

This does not work for shown coordinates, sorry. Shown coordinates were added after this Filter Panel module was introduced in IMatch 5.
You will have to wait until I implement the support for your "shown" coordinate in the Map Panel in some later release.

As for inputting the coordinate, see the description in the IMatch help for the Filter panel. Just click into the Filter panel and press <F1>.
The Filter panel is independent from the Map Panel and does not know where your target marker is.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

lbo

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2019, 06:30:12 PM
As for inputting the coordinate, see the description in the IMatch help for the Filter panel. Just click into the Filter panel and press <F1>.

Been there before, and I found that I have to to get numerical values for the left longitude, right longitude, top latitude, bottom latitude and enter it in a value filter.

Quote from: Mario on May 24, 2019, 06:30:12 PM
The Filter panel is independent from the Map Panel and does not know where your target marker is.

If it can be done easily, I suggest to add a possibility to make the position of the target marker accessible in the filter panel.

Oliver

Mario

I have added support for Location Shown to the Find feature in the Map Panel for the next release.

The GPS filter now favors location shown as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator