EXIF tool, file and meta data windows not refreshing

Started by Graham, March 19, 2019, 07:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Imatch 2019.2.4
I have a DB of 211,917 images. the DB is just under 8 GB.

1. Using 'Modify EXIF Date and Time' on a single or multiple image the actual file is updated (reading the meta data with the 'EXIFtool command processor' or looking at the file properties with MS File Explorer, but the IMatch File Window thumbnail or the data in the meta data panel display is never updated. The 'updating' message never appears.
File or folder rescan  leaves the date/time in File and meta data window incorrect.
Closing the DB (no backup) and re-opening leaves the date/time in File and meta data window incorrect.
Running 'Compact and Optimise' changes the date/time back to the original prior to the 'Modify EXIF Date/Time'.

2. If I do this with a test DB of 50,000 images the 'Modify EXIF Date/Time' works as expected. The window briefly fades with the  'updating' message and the file and meta data panels display the update date/times.

Suggestions most welcome.
Cheers,

Mario

This command is a last resort to fix EXIF metadata directly in the file. You should preferably use the Metadata Panel to set the date and time.

You did not attach a ##log file or anything we could work with...

See: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=22.0

Which settings do you use in the Exit Date & Time dialog?
Which settings do you use for Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2?
Which settings do you use for E > P > Background Processing?

IMatch automatically re-imports the modified files after ExifTool has written to them.
It will automatically re-map EXIF to XMP dates during that step.
Does this happen? If not, how do the XMP timestamps differ from the EXIF timestamps?

Run the ExifTool Command Processor for one of your files, using the "List Metadata" preset.
Save the results to a text file and attach.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Graham

Mario,

You are right that IMatch is very reliable and robust. I've now been using for several years with excellent results. Also my apologies for being too lazy to read the appropriate help on submitting a bug report. I hope I will correct that now.

We tend use the modify EXIF date/time to add/sub times as we shift time zones when travelling. It's usually no problem.
If i do the exact same procedure as this on my smaller DB it works as expected.

Tks for your help

Graham

My apologies I see how the attachments work now. Here are the other files

Mario

A screen shot of the ExifTool Command Processor (ECP) does not help much. It shows only a fraction of the data. Your screen shot not even includes the EXIF data.
Do this:

After running the ECP, select all the text in the right box. Click into it and press Ctrl+A. Open Windows Notepad and paste the text into it. Save this as a text file and attach. This shows us the EXIF and XMP data in your files.

1.  When you set EXIF data that way, time zones can become an issue. EXIF has no time zone so ExifTool assumes that the time is in local time zone, unless perhaps the EXIF data on your files has a time zone recorded in some EXIF extension. The Metadata Panel shows the XMP timestamps in your local time zone. Click on any of these dates in the Metadata Panel to show the full data, including the time zone.

Impossible to tell more without having a file here.
You can send a sample original image to support email address. Include a link to this topic (I get many emails per day) and tell me which corrections you would make to the file. I can then do the same and see how IMatch updates the EXIF and how it sets the XMP during re-import.

2.  I noticed you have "protect existing XMP on" in Edit > Preferences > Metadata.
If the created/digitized XMP timestamps are marked as updated, IMatch will not replace them when you change the EXIF timestamps and it re-imports the file.

To test: Write back the file to ensure that all metadata is written.
Then change the EXIF date and time again and check if this now makes it into the database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook