Metadata display in file window

Started by stephock, March 17, 2019, 04:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephock

I use two fields, XMP::dc\title\Title\0 and XMP::dc\description\Description\0 to store and display information. This has always worked well. Now I find that the display is erratic. Sometimes the data is displayed in the file window, sometimes not. There appears to be no reason for this. (At least, that I can see...)

I use the CR2, JPG, TIF and PSD formats, and this behaviour occurs across all file types. The strange thing is that older files always display correctly; it's the newer files (or updated older files) that present this problem.

The data always displays in the metadata panel, and if I check the properties of the file in, for instance, xnview or windows, it's always in the file.

Check the attached screen dumps to see what I mean. The first two are older files, the last two are more recent -The dates are on the display.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hluxem

Hello,
a while ago I had problems with a layout not displaying certain values like date & time. It took me a while to realize that the problem in the layout was actually caused by a complex formatting option for file extension. I simply did not have this extension in the list, which created an error and other metadata fields were not displayed. I suggest to start with a new simple layout only showing the title & description with no formatting.
You have a yellow and a green square showing  as the right footer on the pictures displaying the values correctly, none on the other 2, is that correct?
Heiner 

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=8033.msg56397#msg56397

Mario

This looks like a custom layout, it's not the Default file window layout shipped with IMatch.
Please show us how you have set up this layout.
Are you using variables for these fields, custom formatting etc?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stephock

Hluxem, Your comment on the coloured squares got me thinking. The squares represent the coloured labels allocated to each file; where there is no label, the square does not appear.
However, I have now noticed that the Title and Description do not appear only if there is no label, if I allocate a label to an image, the Title and Description fields appear, if I then remove the label again, the info also disappears.

Mario, In this layout, I use:

'Footer 1 Left' for the Title: Metadata Tag - XMP::dc\title\Title\0

'Footer 2, Left' for the Description: Metadata Tag - XMP::dc\description\Description\0

'Footer 3, Right' for the Label: Custom Template - <Run Foreground='{File.LabelColor|hasvalue:{File.LabelColor}}'>{File.Label|hasvalue:■}</Run>

Thanks.

stephock

OK. I've sorted it out. Used the VarToy and saw the error.

My 'Footer 3 Right' line now reads: Custom Template - <Run Foreground='{File.LabelColor|hasvalue:{File.LabelColor};default:#555555}'> {File.Label|hasvalue:■}</Run>

I see where it needed a default value...

Thanks, hluxem, you pointed me in the right direction!

And thanks, Mario, I just know you would have told me to use the VarToy!