Images no longer update in IM after adjustments made in Lightroom

Started by DDBenson, March 15, 2019, 12:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDBenson

DNG files no longer update in iMatch and I can not figure out what setting might have gotten changed to cause this.
If I select an older (anything added prior to a couple of days ago) file in Lightroom and choose Update DNG Preview and Metadata, then in IMatch all previously recognized adjustments to that file are no longer reflected.
If I add a new file to the database, no adjustments made in Lightroom are recognized in IM. The new file is seen, and any ratings or labels are recognized, but no image adjustments (including crops) are seen in IM.
Files appear as expected in Windows picture viewers, so I suspect the problem is within IMatch.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

JohnZeman

Any time I do anything with a DNG file in Lightroom after Lightroom writes its changes to the DNG file in IMatch I need to rescan the folder that DNG is in.

DDBenson

I've tried that. Thanks, John.
In the process of trying to work this thing out, I wondered if a recent Windows update might be the culprit so I selected a restore point from about four days ago. Unfortunately something went very wrong and the restore failed. Blue Screen. I couldn't even start windows in Safe Mode. I tried everything I could think of before I finally ended up re-installing Windows. So most of my day has been getting back to square one. (It's all part of the fun, as they say.)
So I'm now working from a clean install of Windows and Lightroom and IMatch. The Lightroom and IMatch databases and config files were saved so I'm still able to use them. However, the problem still exists. Which is why I finally gave up and asked here online. :-)

JohnZeman

I can certainly empathize with what you're going through DD, just minutes ago I finally solved the problem created by my anti-virus program earlier today when it issued a false positive alarm and wiped out Dropbox on my PC.

Good luck, I'm sure Mario will have some suggestions to help you a few hours from now.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: JohnZeman on March 15, 2019, 12:14:24 AM
Any time I do anything with a DNG file in Lightroom after Lightroom writes its changes to the DNG file in IMatch I need to rescan the folder that DNG is in.

Hmm, never had to do that, and I work with DNGs exclusively. BUT, I don't use Lightroom, only Bridge/ACR, although the raw processing engine is the same, there might be some difference in the saving function.

Mario

A manual rescan is not needed.

IMatch monitors Windows file system messages and when it received a "Folder modified" it marks the folder fo a rescan. Then it waits 20 seconds and if no further file system activity is detected, it rescans the folder. I use Lr and I never need to manually rescan folders. Its fully automatic.

The reason for the wait time is (not only) Adobe applications don't overwrite the (DNG) file during save. Instead they create a temporary file in the same folder. If this works, they delete the original image and then rename the temporary copy. If IMatch would rescan the folder in the middle of this process, it could accidentally remove the original file from the database (because it does not exist in the file system anymore). One of the many things IMatch does to copy with all the strange and various behaviors of other applications...

Thinks to check:

Make sure that background indexing is on under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing (Import new and updates files automatically).
The log file records when IMatch detects changes made to a folder, and also if and which folders are checked for updates. Run the log file in debug mode (see log file) for the most detailed log.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2019, 09:18:12 AMIMatch monitors Windows file system messages and when it received a "Folder modified" it marks the folder fo a rescan.

Warning: this doesn't necessarily work if the folders are on a NAS! It definitely doesn't work on my Synology NAS.

JohnZeman

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2019, 09:18:12 AM
Make sure that background indexing is on under Edit > Preferences > Background Processing (Import new and updates files automatically).

Ah.  It was only recently that I added all of my original images to my IMatch database, before that only IMatch touched the derived jpgs in my database so I had automatic background processing disabled.  Which of course meant I always had to manually refresh my folders after processing DNGs with Lightroom.

This is good to know and I've enabled that option now, thanks guys.

Now if DDBenson can find the solution to his problem.

Mario

Quote from: Carlo Didier on March 15, 2019, 10:33:25 AM
Warning: this doesn't necessarily work if the folders are on a NAS! It definitely doesn't work on my Synology NAS.

This depends on the SAMBA version on your NAS and your Windows version.
If your NAS does not community file system changes correctly to attached clients, problems may occur,

IMatch scans folders during database load to find new folders. At runtime it does not do that but monitors file system event messages. If none are produced by your NAS, Windows / IMatch cannot know that something has changed in the attached devices. Potentially dangerous that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2019, 09:18:12 AM

The log file records when IMatch detects changes made to a folder, and also if and which folders are checked for updates. Run the log file in debug mode (see log file) for the most detailed log.

Yes, background indexing is set as you suggest.

Here's what happens: I select a file in LR and make an exaggerated adjustment so as to make the results obvious (blow out exposure and tilt alignment way off level for example). Then I choose Metadata | Update DNG Preview & Metadata. I switch over to IM and after about 30 seconds the little blue icon in upper left corner of that file appears, indicating the file is being updated. But when completed, there is no change. The thumbnail, and the file when opened, remain the same. But I then go to Windows File Explorer or Windows Picture Gallery to view the file and the changes are showing up properly.

Also note that the thumbnails of all older files in IM (added to the database prior to a couple of days ago) appear correctly (that is, they reflect the adjustments made to the file in Lightroom). However, when I open the file, the image does NOT reflect those adjustments.

The Log doesn't reveal anything to me (no warning messages, etc.), however I really don't know what I'm looking at. :-)

Mario

IMatch processes files via the installed WIC DNG codec. Which DNG codec do you use?
When you see changes in Windows you should also see changes in IMatch. Both use the same DNG codec.
It by default favors the preview, unless it is smaller than the minimum size you have configured under Edit > Preferences > Cache.

Note that Adobe changes the DNG format whenever they want. Lr has introduced breaking changes in DNG files on several occasions already.
When the DNG codec installed on your system does not handle the DNG variant your version of Lr produces yet, problems may occur in various applications.
Windows Explorer only uses the thumbnail, which may look different than the preview and will look different than the DNG RAW data decoded by the codec.

See WIC Diagnostics to learn how to see which codecs are installed and used.
I'm not sure how I can help you further. Check the codec, check the cache settings you have made in IMatch. When it worked before but does not work anymore, something outside of IMatch has changed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2019, 03:44:56 PM
... Which DNG codec do you use?

... Note that Adobe changes the DNG format whenever they want. Lr has introduced breaking changes in DNG files on several occasions already.

... Check the cache settings...

Codecs are from FastPictureViewer Codec Pack. I started using this two or three years ago so that DNG files viewed in Windows File Explorer reflected adjustments made in Lightroom. When I re-installed Windows yesterday, and then re-installed Lightroom and IMatch, I immediately checked the files in IMatch to see if IMatch was now recognizing the adjustments made in LR (i.e. had the original issue now been solved?). It was not. So I then also re-installed Fast Picture Viewer, after which I could see Lightroom adjustments when viewed in Windows File Explorer - but still NOT in IMatch.

If Lightroom recently introduced breaking changes in DNG files, then it seems strange that other IMatch users are not reporting a similar issue to mine, as there must be many, many IMatch users that also use Lightroom.

The cache settings are set to the default.

This is from the WIC Diagnostic Report from one of the files:
WIC: Testing file 'C:\Users\daleb\OneDrive\Cloud Pictures\2019\2019-03_Orig Files\20190311-170534_Canon EOS M50_6623.dng'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 171x256 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      (GetPreview failed (88982F81 The operation is unsupported.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)'
      () 683x1024 pixel in 0 ms.

WIC Result: A codec for this file format is installed and it looks like it fully supports the format. The file does not contain an embedded preview.

IMatch Integrated RAW Processing.

Analyzing image 'C:\Users\daleb\OneDrive\Cloud Pictures\2019\2019-03_Orig Files\20190311-170534_Canon EOS M50_6623.dng'
    Preview: (Format:1, Dimensions: 1024x683) in 0ms. Result: 0
    Original Image: (6288x4056 6012x4008) in 3157ms. Result: 0

Thank you for any insights.

Mario

If you have installed the codecs after IMatch has created the thumbnails / cache images, you need to force an update of your files in IMatch (Shift+Ctrl+F5).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on March 15, 2019, 08:57:22 PM
If you have installed the codecs after IMatch has created the thumbnails / cache images, you need to force an update of your files in IMatch (Shift+Ctrl+F5).

That's one of the many things I tried prior to finally deciding to revert Windows back to a four-day-previous restore point (which failed into a Blue Screen and ultimately required the complete re-installation of Windows mentioned up-thread).
But, yeah, I did that again after the new installs.

My head hurts now. I'm going to set this aside for awhile....

Thanks again.

Mario

You can send me a sample DNG file to support email address. I can add it to a database and see what I get.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on March 16, 2019, 08:36:51 AM
You can send me a sample DNG file to support email address. I can add it to a database and see what I get.

Message and link to files sent to support email address.

Thank you Mario.

Mario

The WIC diagnosis above says:

(GetPreview failed (88982F81 The operation is unsupported.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.

This means that the FPV codec can read (and interpret) the RAW DNG data, but cannot read the preview.
This should explain why you don't see the adjustments made in Lr anymore. These are applied to the preview by Lightroom. They don#t change the RAW data of course.
The thumbnail should be updated by Lr as well, I guess. But this is not used by IMatch (unless there is neither a preview or RAW data extracted).

IMatch loads the preview (if it exists), else loads the full RAW data. The RAW data of course is the DNG RAW data, without all the settings you have applied in Lr.
Did you make any changes in Lr recently? New version installed? New features enabled?

Do you have the latest version of the FPV codecs installed?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

The latest version of the FPV codecs is from 2017.
If Adobe has made breaking changes to DNG after that, the codecs may not be able to handle the files properly.
I would suggest you try with the built-in DNG codec in Windows or the latest DNG codec from Adobe.

I could not download the files you have sent because the link requires me to create a OneDrive / Microsoft account. Won't.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on March 17, 2019, 01:04:27 PM
The latest version of the FPV codecs is from 2017.
If Adobe has made breaking changes to DNG after that, the codecs may not be able to handle the files properly.
I would suggest you try with the built-in DNG codec in Windows or the latest DNG codec from Adobe.

When I re-installed Windows and everything else, I started with IMatch first, after which DNG files still were not reflecting adjustments originally made in Lightroom. So I next installed Lightroom and checked the photo files again, but still no change in IMatch. At this point Windows could still not interpret the adjustments made in LR (because, as far as I know, Windows codecs have never been able to do so, which is why I have used Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack for long time). I next installed Fast Picture Viewer Codec Pack and now Windows showed all adjustments properly, but IMatch still did not.

Is it possible a config file in IM got messed up and is causing the problem, and this file somehow survived the Windows and IMatch re-installs? The Windows re-install saved all "personal" files so maybe there is a hidden file located there that is not getting updated properly? Is there a config file that I can safely delete or purge that will get re-created with new, correct instructions?

Mario

No config file.

IMatch IMatch cannot extract the embedded preview via the DNG codec installed, it cannot show the files as Lr shows them. Lr produces the DNG preview by applying its settings, no other way.
I can only tell more when I have some of your unique DNG files here. I use Lr and Lr CC and I don't see any issues. No IMatch config file involved, no reports from other users so far.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

I tested this with my installation.

The problem appears when you export a DNG file with a "compatibility" mode for camera RAW of 6.6 or later.
(Windows does not show the correct preview for any of my test files newer than version 5.4).

Whenever Adobe makes a change to the DNG format which may break other applications (!) they introduce a new compatibility mode...
Use 5.4 if you want to use your files safely with FPV codecs or Windows codecs.
Re-export with these settings and they should look fine in IMatch and elsewhere.

Or install a DNG codec from Adobe that is compatible with the DNG format variant you use in Lr for export.
I could not find one, seems Adobe is not making one anymore...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

I need to revisit this issue.
I work on my pictures from two different locations during the year - in Minnesota in the summer season and in Arizona in the winter season. When I originally posted I was working on my PC at our winter place in Arizona. I was never able to resolve the issue [the 'issue' being that adjustments made to DNG files in Lightroom were not being seen in iMatch] and just gave up and lived with it for the remaining few weeks before returning to Minnesota for the summer season. Back in Minnesota this summer I purchased a new PC and installed iMatch and Lightroom. Additionally, I wiped the hard drive of my older PC and re-installed Windows 10 and iMatch and Lightroom on it (all latest version via online).
I now experience on BOTH of these computers in Minnesota the SAME issue I experienced on my Arizona PC that I posted about in March. That is, iMatch does not see the adjustments to DNG files made in Lightroom. In trying to understand and figure this out I have noticed that Windows 10 now appears to include its own WIC codecs for DNG files, as it IS able to see the adjustments made in LR. (This is a change since I worked on this issue back in March. Back then it was necessary that Fast Picture Viewer codecs were installed in order to see these adjustments in Windows File Explorer or Windows Photos.) However, iMatch is still unable to see the adjustments. Running the WIC Diagnostics in iMatch informs that both GetThumbnail failed and GetPreview failed. Same results when iMatch setup preference is set to "Yes" or "No" regarding photools.com RAW Processing. I tried installing the Fast Picture Viewer codecs, but obtained same results. All iMatch settings are the default settings.
So, to conclude... with current and up-to-date installations of Windows 10, iMatch, and Lightroom; and using default configuration settings, my (undesired) experience is that adjustments made in LR to DNG files are not seen in iMatch, even though they ARE reflected in Windows (File Explorer, Photos). What I would like is to also be able to see these adjustments in iMatch. What am I doing wrong? To those of you using both iMatch and Lightroom: Do YOU see adjustments made to DNG files reflected in iMatch?

Mario

Please start a new paragraph once in a while by pressing <Enter>. Writing such long posts without a bit of editing makes them almost unreadable on smart devices. Its two screen pages of block text...

I understand that the WIC codec installed on your system is unable to display the DNG files correctly?
How many WIC codecs for DNG do you have installed? Note that when multiple WIC codecs for the same file format are installed, the codec chosen by Windows is undefined and thus this situation should be avoided.
FastPictureViewer codecs are several years out of date (the developer has been hired by Microsoft years ago).

The Windows DNG codec should be able to display all DNG files correctly.

Running a WIC Diagnostics can be the first step to analyze this further.
This will show us which codecs are installed, if they handle your files etc.

IMatch just asks Windows "Give me a preview of this DNG file" and takes whatever is returned.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on October 03, 2019, 06:51:08 PM
Please start a new paragraph once in a while by pressing <Enter>. Writing such long posts without a bit of editing makes them almost unreadable on smart devices. Its two screen pages of block text...

Sure. :-)

I understand that the WIC codec installed on your system is unable to display the DNG files correctly?

I'm not sure why you understand that to be the case.

I clearly stated that Windows itself is correctly displaying the DNG files and any adjustments made to them by LR.

You previously explained that iMatch simply asks Windows for a preview and takes whatever it is given, and that if Windows can interpret the adjustments, then iMatch should be able to see them as well.

But as completely unlikely as this may sound to you, this is NOT the behavior I am experiencing.

How many WIC codecs for DNG do you have installed?

Other than what comes with Windows, I haven't installed ANY.

The current version of Windows 10 apparently now includes DNG codecs.

As I noted in my post, Windows now appears to be able to interpret the adjustments made in LR on its own. But for whatever reason, iMatch does not seem to be able to utilize these codecs?

As an experiment to see if the behavior changed, I DID temporarily install Fast Picture Viewer codecs pack (because previously, that was required in order for me to see adjustments to DNG files in Windows File Explorer, etc. and also in iMatch).

But, as I stated, the installing of FPV codecs made no difference. iMatch was still not interpreting the adjustments made in LR so I uninstalled the FPV codec pack.

The Windows DNG codec should be able to display all DNG files correctly.

Agreed. And it does on my system.

Here is the result of the WIC Diagnostics test:

List of installed WIC codecs:
   Codec 'BMP Decoder' for extensions .bmp,.dib,.rle
   Codec 'GIF Decoder' for extensions .gif
   Codec 'ICO Decoder' for extensions .ico,.icon
   Codec 'CUR Decoder' for extensions .cur
   Codec 'JPEG Decoder' for extensions .jpeg,.jpe,.jpg,.jfif,.exif
   Codec 'PNG Decoder' for extensions .png
   Codec 'TIFF Decoder' for extensions .tiff,.tif
   Codec 'DNG Decoder' for extensions .dng
   Codec 'WMPhoto Decoder' for extensions .wdp,.jxr
   Codec 'DDS Decoder' for extensions .dds
   Codec 'Microsoft HEIF Decoder' for extensions .heic,.heif,.avci,.heics,.heifs,.avcs,.avif,.avifs
   Codec 'Microsoft Webp Decoder' for extensions .webp
   Codec 'Microsoft Raw Image Decoder' for extensions .3FR,.ARI,.ARW,.BAY,.CAP,.CR2,.CR3,.CRW,.DCS,.DCR,.DRF,.EIP,.ERF,.FFF,.IIQ,.K25,.KDC,.MEF,.MOS,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.ORI,.PEF,.PTX,.PXN,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRF,.SRW,.X3F,.DNG
   Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder' for extensions .ARW,.CR2,.CRW,.ERF,.KDC,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.PEF,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRW,.DNG

WIC: Testing file 'C:\Users\daleb\OneDrive\Cloud Pictures\2019\2019-09_Orig Files\20190920-065401_iPhone XS_010.dng'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'DNG Decoder'
      (GetThumbnail failed (88982F44 The bitmap codec does not support a thumbnail.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'DNG Decoder'
   Full resolution: Codec 'DNG Decoder'
      () 1024x768 pixel in 0 ms.

As I noted in the previous post, I acknowledge that the test indicates failure for GetThumbnail and GetPreview.

That is obviously the problem.

But what must I do to resolve it?!

iMatch is installed using all default settings.

It's not like I'm asking for something unusual or unrealistic. Is it?

All I want is for iMatch to interpret adjustments made to DNG files from LR, just as Windows itself does, and like iMatch itself used to do.

And from what you've indicated, it should.

But in my case it doesn't.

It used to do that but now on three different PCs it no longer does.

There must be thousands (tens of thousands?) of iMatch users that also use LR. Am I the only one that is experiencing this behavior?

If so, then what am doing wrong and what do I need to do to correct it?!

Dale

PS. How did I do with the editing? :-)

Carlo Didier

Did those exact files display correctly in iMatch before? If they are new files, maybe the Windows DNG codec cannot yet understand that variant of DNG from you iPhone (I see that from the name "...iPhone XS_010..."). Apple may have introduced something new there or simply doesn't include a thumbnail in the DNG it generates.

Mario

The DNG codec installed by Windows reports:

1. No thumbnail
2. No preview (unusual for DNG files, because they are supposed to always include a DNG preview)
3. As the full resolution the codec only returns a 1024x768 pixel image to IMatch.

Something is clearly a problem with the DNG codec included in Windows.
You can upload a sample image somewhere ans I can run it through the Microsoft WIC grinder test suite to see what the problem with the Windows DNG codec or the DNG file is.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Thank you Mario. I've sent a sample file to your support email address.

Mario

Thanks for sending the image. Findings:

1. The file fails with the Windows 10 DNG codec (only a 1024 pixel image is available).
2. The file loads fine in FastPictureViewer codec (3024x4032 full size, also gets a thumbnail and a 768x1024 preview).
3. The file contains a virtual crop record in the XMP metadata. The image data itself is not cropped.

Results:
I cannot fix the Microsoft WIC codec. Do you have the latest version of Windows 10?
Maybe Apple does something strange in the DNG. Or Adobe has invented yet another variation of the DNG format for their Lightroom product...
From your comments above I understand that you want IMatch to interpret and crop a virtual crop record applied to the DNG file in Adobe Lightroom?
This is not something a DAM should normally do. This is more of a Lightroom thing.

Nevertheless, you can enable the XMP crop option on a per file format based via Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2: File Formats.
Tip: Just spending a minute to search the help for the word crop would have answered your question: Per File Extension Options

The result may vary because doing this is not standard and there are many subtle issues (for example, some software writes an XMP crop record but also a cropped version of the DNG as the preview...).
IMatch currently does not support crops which have been rotated for virtual transformations.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Quote from: Mario on October 05, 2019, 01:13:31 PM
2. The file loads fine in FastPictureViewer codec (3024x4032 full size, also gets a thumbnail and a 768x1024 preview).

I've installed temporarily, again, the FPV codecs (version 1.9.360.0 direct from their website) and I get different result than you indicate.

And in iMatch the files still do not reflect adjustments made in LR.

WIC Codec Report - for diagnostic purposes.

Codec 'Microsoft HEIF Decoder' for extensions .heic,.heif,.avci,.heics,.heifs,.avcs,.avif,.avifs
   Codec 'Google SketchUp Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .skp,.skm
   Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pdf
   Codec 'Fuji Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .raf
   Codec 'JPEG Decorator (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jpg,.jpeg,.jpe,.jfif,.exif,.jps,.mpo,.npo
   Codec 'Adobe Lightroom® Preview Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .lrprev,.noindex
   Codec 'Samsung Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .srw
   Codec 'Radiance HDR Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .hdr,.pic,.rgbe,.xyze
   Codec 'PNM Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .ppm,.pgm,.pbm,.pnm
   Codec 'OpenEXR Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .exr
   Codec 'Hasselblad Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .3fr,.fff
   Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dng
   Codec 'TGA Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .tga
   Codec 'PhotoLine Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pld
   Codec 'Microsoft Raw Image Decoder' for extensions .3FR,.ARI,.ARW,.BAY,.CAP,.CR2,.CR3,.CRW,.DCS,.DCR,.DRF,.EIP,.ERF,.FFF,.IIQ,.K25,.KDC,.MEF,.MOS,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.ORI,.PEF,.PTX,.PXN,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRF,.SRW,.X3F,.DNG
   Codec 'Canon Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .cr2,.crw
   Codec 'Epson Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .erf
   Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder' for extensions .ARW,.CR2,.CRW,.ERF,.KDC,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.PEF,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRW,.DNG
   Codec 'Panasonic Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .rw2
   Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .eps,.ai,.indd
   Codec 'Nikon Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .nef,.nrw
   Codec 'Leica Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .raw,.rwl
   Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .sr2,.srf,.arw
   Codec 'JPEG Derivative Handler (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jps,.mpo,.npo
   Codec 'Mamiya Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .mef
   Codec 'Autodesk Maya IFF Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .iff,.tdi
   Codec 'Minolta Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .mrw
   Codec 'Rawzor Compressed Raw Format Previewer (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .rwz
   Codec 'Pentax Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pef
   Codec 'Sinar Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .cs1
   Codec 'Kodak Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dcr,.kdc
   Codec 'DDS Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dds
   Codec 'Softimage PIC Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pic
   Codec 'Adobe Photoshop® Document Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .psd,.pdd
   Codec 'JPEG 2000 Baseline Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jpf,.jpx,.jp2,.j2c,.j2k,.jpc
   Codec 'Olympus Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .orf
   Codec 'Sigma X3F Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .x3f
   Codec 'Valve Texture Format Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .vtf
   Codec 'Silicon Graphics RGB Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .sgi,.rgb

WIC: Testing file 'C:\Users\daleb\OneDrive\Cloud Pictures\Working\Temp Incoming\Test\20190920-065401_iPhone XS_010.dng'
      () 192x256 pixel in 0 ms.
      () 768x1024 pixel in 0 ms.

WIC Result: A codec for this file format is installed and it looks like it fully supports the format. The file does not contain an embedded preview.

I cannot fix the Microsoft WIC codec. Do you have the latest version of Windows 10?

As I've indicated in every previous post --

Yes. I have the latest, most current, updated version of Windows 10 made available to the public.

And yes, I have the latest version of iMatch installed (with default settings). Same for Lightroom (installed with default settings).

Am I to understand that you cannot view the sample file I sent you in Windows File Explorer and see the adjustments (including exposure, etc.) made in LR?

From your comments above I understand that you want IMatch to interpret and crop a virtual crop record applied to the DNG file in Adobe Lightroom?

No, that is NOT what I asked for.

I want to see the files in iMatch the way they were intended to be seen after any adjustments. Like Windows sees them. This MIGHT include a crop, but it also might include exposure or other tone adjustments.

DDBenson

Sorry, the previous post was submitted accidentally before I was finished with my intended reply. If there is a way to delete it, I don't know what it is.

Please ignore it.

Correct reply to follow...

DDBenson

Mario, you did not indicate whether or not you were able to see the adjustments made to my sample file in your own installation of iMatch.

If you CAN, then I need to know what changes to make from my installation of default settings in order to see the adjustments.

If you CANNOT, then

I've installed temporarily, again, the FPV codecs (version 1.9.360.0 direct from their website) and I get different result than you indicate.

And in iMatch the files still do not reflect adjustments made in LR.

WIC Codec Report - for diagnostic purposes.

Codec 'Google SketchUp Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .skp,.skm
   Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based PDF Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pdf
   Codec 'Fuji Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .raf
   Codec 'JPEG Decorator (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jpg,.jpeg,.jpe,.jfif,.exif,.jps,.mpo,.npo
   Codec 'Adobe Lightroom® Preview Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .lrprev,.noindex
   Codec 'Samsung Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .srw
   Codec 'Radiance HDR Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .hdr,.pic,.rgbe,.xyze
   Codec 'PNM Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .ppm,.pgm,.pbm,.pnm
   Codec 'OpenEXR Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .exr
   Codec 'Hasselblad Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .3fr,.fff
   Codec 'Adobe DNG Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dng
   Codec 'TGA Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .tga
   Codec 'PhotoLine Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pld
   Codec 'Canon Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .cr2,.crw
   Codec 'Epson Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .erf
   Codec 'Panasonic Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .rw2
   Codec 'Adobe XMP-Based Thumbnail Provider (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .eps,.ai,.indd
   Codec 'Nikon Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .nef,.nrw
   Codec 'Leica Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .raw,.rwl
   Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .sr2,.srf,.arw
   Codec 'JPEG Derivative Handler (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jps,.mpo,.npo
   Codec 'Mamiya Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .mef
   Codec 'Autodesk Maya IFF Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .iff,.tdi
   Codec 'Minolta Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .mrw
   Codec 'Rawzor Compressed Raw Format Previewer (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .rwz
   Codec 'Pentax Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pef
   Codec 'Sinar Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .cs1
   Codec 'Kodak Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dcr,.kdc
   Codec 'DDS Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .dds
   Codec 'Softimage PIC Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .pic
   Codec 'Adobe Photoshop® Document Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .psd,.pdd
   Codec 'JPEG 2000 Baseline Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .jpf,.jpx,.jp2,.j2c,.j2k,.jpc
   Codec 'Olympus Raw Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .orf
   Codec 'Sigma X3F Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .x3f
   Codec 'Valve Texture Format Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .vtf
   Codec 'Silicon Graphics RGB Decoder (FastPictureViewer Codec Pack)' for extensions .sgi,.rgb

WIC: Testing file 'C:\Users\daleb\OneDrive\Cloud Pictures\Working\Temp Incoming\Test\20190920-065401_iPhone XS_010.dng'
      () 768x1024 pixel in 0 ms.

As I've indicated in every previous post --

Yes. I have the latest, most current, updated version of Windows 10 made available to the public.

And I have the latest version of iMatch installed (with default settings). Same for Lightroom (installed with default settings).

Am I to understand that you cannot view my sample file in Windows File Explorer and see the adjustments (including exposure, etc.) made to it in LR?

If NOT, then that is peculiar, as I CAN see the adjustments in Windows File Explorer.

No, that is NOT what I said.

I want to see the files in iMatch the way they were intended to be seen after any adjustments. Like Windows can see them. This MIGHT include a crop, but it also might include exposure or tone or other adjustments.

I want to be able to set down at the computer and use iMatch to find the photos I am looking for, then view them. In iMatch. Seeing them as I intended them to be shown with proper exposure, tone adjustments, and  crops.

I don't want to have to then switch over to Lightroom to properly view the photos.

I have to believe that is how iMatch was designed to work. I've used iMatch for several years and it used to work this way. But it does not now on my three current and up-to-date Windows 10 systems.

Mario

Please don't include such larger block of text in your posts (WIC Diagnosis). Attach the file created by IMatch instead (Attach function directly available under the post editor).
Large text masses make your posts unreadable and also fill the community search engine with junk data. Thank you.

When I test the file you have set via WIC diagnosis with FPV I get:

WIC: Testing file 'D:\data\download\community\8885\20190920-065401_iPhone XS_010.dng'
      () 768x1024 pixel in 16 ms.
      () 3024x4032 pixel in 0 ms.

WIC Result: A codec for this file format is installed and it looks like it fully supports the format.

The embedded preview in the file is only 1024 pixel (why don't you let Lr write a full-size preview?)
The default settings in IMatch require a minimal size of 1920 pixels for cache files (Edit > Preferences < Cache) so IMatch falls back to using the full raw image. This means that the DNG codec interprets the DNG RAW data and the result is of course very different from what you have produced in Lr. No codec can apply the development settings of Lr.

When I force IMatch to use the tiny embedded preview in your file by setting the minimal cache size to 500 pixels under E > P > Cache and then do a force-reload the image with Shift+Ctrl+5, I get the expected result:

Solution:

1. Configure Lr to include a full-size preview, not just a small 1024 pixel preview.
2. If this is not possible for some reason, force IMatch to use the tiny preview by lowering the minimal cache size to 1000 pixels.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DDBenson

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have changed Lightroom's default setting of "Medium" sized previews to "Full Size". That resolved it. :)

Lightroom perhaps changed it's default preview size setting?

Whatever the case, I am surprised that other iMatch users haven't noticed this same issue?!

Mario

Quote from: DDBenson on October 06, 2019, 02:33:06 PM
Lightroom perhaps changed it's default preview size setting?
Whatever the case, I am surprised that other iMatch users haven't noticed this same issue?!

Dunno. I think I recall that Lr sets this setting based on the longest edge of the monitor on which it is first run.
On the other hand, Adobe software often works in unpredictable and usually poorly documented ways.

I'm sure hundreds of people have written tons of blog entries, tutorials and made videos about preview sizes in Lr.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator