Scroll wheel behavior

Started by Carlo Didier, February 03, 2019, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

Something that's constantly annoying me: When I type something in the search field of the Categories assignment panel (see screenshot to se which categories panel I mean), I then often want to scroll through the category tree by just hovering the mouse above the tree, but when I use the scroll wheel, it iterates through the list of search texts I typed before ("feature" which I never saw the use for).

To be clear, the function of the scroll wheel should not be to iterate through the list of past search texts at the bottom, but to scroll the category tree.
Currently, you need to first click on something in the category tree, the scroll. Then click again in the search field to enter a new search.

Mario

When the input field has the focus, it will receive the scroll events and act on them - by scrolling through the history.
The tree control does not receive scroll messages while an edit field is active somewhere.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PaulS

+1 to the original request.

I also experience this regularly when assigning categories (perhaps this is a limitation of the 3rd party GUI toolkit?)

I quickly checked a few other programs which have multiple panels (or screen areas) and all of them scroll based on the location of the mouse pointer, even when a field or object in a different panel clearly has focus.  Scrolling does not change this focus, but does move whatever is in that panel.  IMatch generally seems to do this also, though I have noticed from time to time it scrolls the files window even when the mouse is over another panel, but I haven't been able to reproduce it consistently.

So for me it has become an expected Windows behavior - move mouse over a screen area or field, use mouse wheel, and whatever is in that area or field scrolls.

But I would suggest (a little different to Carlo's request) that it should scroll whatever the mouse is over, which could be the category tree or the search field (or the contents of the file window) depending on mouse location.

Mario

As you might have noticed, IMatch also scrolls the window under the cursor. Standard behavior and all that.

But if a input element in a toolbar has the input focus and is actively editing, it will grab all messages.
This is how the 3rd party user interface toolkit handles things.

I think I have added a substantial work-around / code-break to avoid that in the File Window Search bar at some point in the past. Always risky and a potential maintenance nightmare when new updates of the UI toolkit come out.

I did not bother to spend the same time with every minor feature like a secondary toolbar in a panel. I don't think that this is really a primary problem for many users and that I should spend time on this.
So far one user apparently has a problem with that you you +1 it. Lets see if some other users also see this as an issue and then I may look into this. Or ask the vendor to change the toolkit to handle this differently.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

+1

Happens to me all the time, I was thinking to include that in the feature request for the category panel search field, but the other things were more important to me.

QuoteOr ask the vendor to change the toolkit to handle this differently.

It's not that important to me, if the vendor can and will change that at some point it would be nice. In my opinion it's not worth major efforts from Mario.

Heiner

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on February 03, 2019, 12:48:49 PM... - by scrolling through the history.

Except that in this case, if for example I have typed in "tree" in the search field and move the scroll wheel without first clicking somewhere in the category tree, it scrolls through the history before I entered "tree", so I have to re-type "tree" and cannot just scroll back to it.

Jingo

Take a look at Wizmouse... i've had this freeware tool installed for years on my work PC to allow me to scroll without clicking a window or panel and it works.  Not sure how this would work in this case with IMatch - but worth a shot!

Mario

I have implemented the scroll wheel suppression for the filter/search bar in the Category View for the next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

WoodnMetalGuy

Thanks, Mario!  That has always annoyed me, and is probably the change that I most appreciate in that release...  -- Dave

Carlo Didier