Hidden containers should not be consume files (Design & Print)

Started by sinus, January 16, 2019, 11:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

This is related to this thread
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=8718.0

As you pointed out, Mario, in the mentioned thread, it is complicated and not easy.
But if you could solve the problem of akirot, this would be a very good thing for some layouts in D&P.

To be honest, I am not sure, how to solve it.
But if I look at my attachements, it seems to me, that one way to solve it, would be

Hidden containers (with 1 or a variable in the Hidden-field) should not consume files or text.

This would help a lot.

If this would be the case, we could create some neat layouts.
But in this case we could not quickly hide file. This is one draw-back, but I see a lot more advantages.
Of course, one good way would be more options (if hidden, should the content (files and text) be consumed or not.

I tried to give you some (hopefully good) examples with my attachements.
I have also written there some things, I hope, it helps you for think about this.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I have changed the layout algorithm. Hidden containers now don't consume files anymore.

I did not make this optional, e.g. by changing the consumes file: yes/no property to a variable.
This would have been too complicated and I could not really find a use case.

For the problem described in your screen shot, this will now work. If you hide a container to make more room for the longer text, the file will flow to the next container/page.

This would also solve akirot problem, if he designs his layout to use, say, 3 rows of containers if texts are short, and 2 rows if texts are longer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 02, 2019, 06:13:20 PM
I have changed the layout algorithm. Hidden containers now don't consume files anymore.

I did not make this optional, e.g. by changing the consumes file: yes/no property to a variable.
This would have been too complicated and I could not really find a use case.

For the problem described in your screen shot, this will now work. If you hide a container to make more room for the longer text, the file will flow to the next container/page.

This would also solve akirot problem, if he designs his layout to use, say, 3 rows of containers if texts are short, and 2 rows if texts are longer.

Cooler als cool!!! Thanks a lot.
I think, this could really give a lot more options and solve also some problems, like the one from akirot and some of my problems too.  ;D

Thanks for this! :D :)
Markus

akirot

I'm confused. Despite having reread the Help regarding D&P I don't get the idea how hidden containers could be used to print text of vairable length (and large variations of length).
Please could you provide some guidance to point me into the right direction?
How would an example layout look like, something like that?:

- File container
- Text container 1
- Text container 2 (hidden if text fits into Text container 1)

As this must fit into a cell of the page layout it's not really variable.

What's the trick behind your idea?

Thank you!

Mario

This is a feature request and not the proper place to ask questions. It has already been moved to the archive.

You can access specific files in the print flow using variables. See Dynamic Variables for starters. Of course it may require some fiddling but I think rendering containers based on how much text is in previous containers or files on the page might be doable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

akirot

Mario, responding to your statement above:
QuoteThis would also solve akirot problem, ...
I kindly asked how so?

I perceive your answer
QuoteThis is a feature request and not the proper place to ask questions. ...
as schoolmasterly and definitely not the right manner to address a paying customer.

sinus

akirot,

Please ask a new question in the "General Discussion and Questions" - Forum about this, when the new version is out.
I will then look at it and will try to help you.

But we have to wait for the new version first, before it makes no sense.  8)

BTW: I think, Mario Mario didn't mean it the way it might come out, after all, he has a lot to do.
Markus

Mario

Quote from: akirot on February 08, 2019, 09:40:26 AM
I perceive your answer
QuoteThis is a feature request and not the proper place to ask questions. ...
as schoolmasterly and definitely not the right manner to address a paying customer.
I did not want to upset you.
I just meant that asking questions in a closed feature request will not be helpful usually. Most of the time I never look at them again. Other users neither.
Best to ask questions in the General Discussion board.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator