Category panel

Started by hluxem, November 30, 2018, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

I use the category panel with the search function frequently. In order to use the search I have to click the search (or filter) button to add the search field at the button of  the panel. Once activated, it stays till I close the panel or Imatch. The next time I want to search or filter I have to click the button again. To make things more fun, I have to activate it for each tab:>).
This is by no means a show stopper but it's one of this little things annoying you every time you need to move the mouse around and click on it.

It would be nice if the panel could come back with the last state for the filter and search button and field. It already works that way for the data-driven categories and @Keyword category button.
Not sure why the search and filter fields toggle, with my panel size, there is space for a search and filter field. No need to switch between them and you always see if it is filtered and what for when both are displayed.
I honestly don't think the buttons to make the fields visible are needed anyhow, just one more row is enough to display both fields.

This would apply to the File category window as well.

PaulS

Mario

Tip: When you use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Ctrl+F the filter bar opens and the cursor is automatically set into the input field. This keyboard shortcut also closes it. Tip: The shortcut is shown in the funnel button tooltip.

Over 50% of the IMatch user base (allowing telemetry) is using monitors with 1920 x 1280 pixels. This means that there is not that much screen estate and showing the search bar only on demand makes sense. Especially since you can quickly show it (and start typing) by pressing Shoft+Ctrl+F.

The search is individual for each "tab" in the Category Pane because each tab is separate, with its own tree, options and search function.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

QuoteOver 50% of the IMatch
I'm certainly on the other extreme with 40 " and 3840x2160.

Showing the search bar only on demand is ok, my main point is make it remember when a panel is closed and opened again.

Heiner

Carlo Didier

lbo

+1 (but not that urgent since Shift+Ctrl+F is viable)

Quote from: Mario on December 01, 2018, 08:53:40 AM
Over 50% of the IMatch user base (allowing telemetry) is using monitors with 1920 x 1280 pixels.

I guess you mean 1920x1080.

Incredible, the minimum size for efficient work with images is IMO 27" 2560x1440, but more is better.

I'm always annoyed if I have to work with my laptop apart from the docking station.

ubacher

QuoteTip: When you use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Ctrl+F the filter bar opens and the cursor is automatically set into the input field. This keyboard shortcut also closes it. Tip: The shortcut is shown in the funnel button tooltip.

Just tried this and  Shift+Ctrl+F does not work for me. I have the focus on the category selection panel.
Neither is the shortcut shown.
?????

Mario

"Category selection panel" is what? The category panel? Or somewhere else?
Click into the tree in the Category Panel and then press Shift+Ctrl+F. Just tried, works great.

Tooltip also shows hotkey here:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

There are two category panels: One to select which category to display, the other is for assigning categories.
I had tried this in the - what I call selection- panel. Works as described in the assignment panel - unless you have current or recent selected.

Mario

QuoteOne to select which category to display,

You mean the panel named  Category Filter in the Category View?

According to the help this opens when you press <Ctrl>+<F> - and it does. Did you try that? Works here.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

There is the panel for selecting which categories to display:

And then there is the panel which lets you assign categories.
Both panels carry the name Categories. Thus the confusion.

Mario

There is the Category Panel and the Category View.
In the Category View you have the Category Filteri] panel which allows you search for categories or filter what you see in the category tree. There is also a Properties panel, a Bookmarks panel and the Builder panel.

If you are unsure about the name of a thing, include a screen shot as an image attachment in your post. This will make things clear.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

A long time ago, I already "complained" about the two panels having the same names/titles, but you thought it wasn't a problem.
Since then, it looks like a number of people get confused.
Why not call one "Category List" and the other "Category Assigments"?

Mario

Changing the panel names after over 5 years will probably cause a lot of confusion. And all the work I would have to do in the help system, re-doing tons of screen shots, maybe even updating or annotating videos in the Learning Center...I doubt this will be worth it.

What is a category list?
Which panel would you name "Category Assignments"? The Category Panel (which also allows you to create and modify categories, create categories from selections and more. Or the Category View, which is the main feature for working with categories? Or the "File Categories" panel, which displays the categories of all selected files?...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

I don't care much how they would be named, just not the same as they are not the same thing.
The release of iMatch 2017 would have been a good time to make such a change. Now it's too late. Confusion persists ...

Mario

There are no two category-related panels with the same name. What do you mean?
There is a "Category View", a "Category Panel" and a "File Categories Panel". I don't see how this is confusing once you worked with IMatch a bit.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on January 08, 2019, 10:45:50 PM
There is a "Category View", a "Category Panel" and a "File Categories Panel". I don't see how this is confusing once you worked with IMatch a bit.

I think the point of the comment is that the names aren't actually "Category View" etc., but a View with the name "Category" and a Panel with the name "Category", etc.
John

Mario

Yes. None of the Media & Folders View, Category View, Collection View or Timeline View repeats the "View" part in the title at the top.
And none of the panels uses "panel" in the title, just to indicate that it is a panel. Else I would have to change the title of all panels to include the term "panel" as well. Makes no sense to me and would not play well with available screen estate.

IMatch 5.x and later always had four Views and about 30 panels.

The problem is that users sometimes come up with their own names for things - which is not bad per-sé. But when reporting a problem or a bug, it helps when everybody knows which feature, view, panel or window is actually meant. And hence a screen shot or a quick <F1> to open the help and find the correct name makes things clear.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: jch2103 on January 08, 2019, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: Mario on January 08, 2019, 10:45:50 PM

I think the point of the comment is that the names aren't actually "Category View" etc., but a View with the name "Category" and a Panel with the name "Category", etc.

Exactly!

ubacher

Is there a visual difference between a view and a panel?

Mario

A View occupies the entire IMatch window. It cannot be docked or moved, like a panel can.
A View represents one view of your database, like "Media & Folders" or "Timeline".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

The Category Panel now remembers if the search bar of filter bar was open when it was closed. It then re-opens the corresponding bar, but does not apply the search term / filter.
You can quickly pick that from the history if needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator