Author Topic: New ExifTool version found on every startup  (Read 134 times)

avanderheijden

• New Members
New ExifTool version found on every startup
« on: December 03, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »
Since I installed iMatch on a new PC a couple of months ago, every time I start iMatch (currently version 2018.11.2) it says a new version of ExifTools has been found and the database is updated accordingly.

It still allows me to use the software as usual but it's a bit annoying. Updating to newest version didn't resolve the problem.

I tried this instruction from this topic:

"Open the ExifTool output panel via <F9>,<O>"

Pressing F9 does nothing. Not sure how to get to the output panel, sorry.

Please let me know if you need more information to look into this error.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
    • photools.com
Re: New ExifTool version found on every startup
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
Please switch IMatch to debug logging (Help menu > Support > ...) See log file
Close and reopen IMatch. ZIP and attach the log file to your reply.

There have been a few reports from users where ExifTool could not find a configuration file, for reasons unknown.
Most of these users have installed IMatch outside the default installation folder (not in c:...\program files\). Maybe this is the case here also?

avanderheijden

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »
Yes, I installed the software to D:\program files so that could very well be the same problem.  :)

See attachment for ZIP.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
    • photools.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:48:33 PM »
IMatch reports:

Launching ExifTool from 'D:\Program Files\photools.com\imatch6\exiftool.exe'

Looks OK.

Using IMatch config file 'D:\Program Files\photools.com\imatch6\imatch_et.config'

Looks OK.

Then ExifTool reports it cannot list the tags (which is the first thing IMatch wants to know when it finds a new ExifTool version):

Failed to -list tags
Config file not found

Although the config file "D:\Program Files\photools.com\imatch6\imatch_et.config" exists and IMatch hands it over to ExifTool, ExifTool cannot find it.

Since adding ExifTool to IMatch many years ago, IMatch used "short 8.3" file names to communicate with ExifTool ExifTool had problems with file names containing non-ASCI characters etc.
Nothing has changed in this code section for several years.

On your system, the long and short path name for D:\Program files... is identical, which probably means that you have disabled support for short 8.3 path names for the D: disk?
Have you recently changed anything on your system? Moved the IMatch installation?

avanderheijden

• New Members
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:32:08 PM »
No, I've bought a new PC (custom made) with everything new except my data harddisk (which is volume D:), PSU and GPU (gtx 1070) which were already in use on my old PC. Come to think of it, I remember I had the same problem once years ago on that old PC and you somehow managed to fix it back then. I completely reinstalled all relevant programs including iMatch though as my new system came with a fresh Windows 10 install.

Only other thing I took from my old system is the database.

Edit: in my mailbox I can see the previous time I had trouble with ExifTools was in May 2015 but I can't see how it was fixed back then because the links in the mails don't work anymore (they refer to the old forum: http://community.photoolsweb.com/index.php?topic=4437.new;topicseen#new

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:36:59 PM by avanderheijden »

lbo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
On your system, the long and short path name for D:\Program files... is identical, which probably means that you have disabled support for short 8.3 path names for the D: disk?

since benoitf in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=8390 also had no short file name in his log file, I wouldn't suspect that both users disabled 8.3 support on their systems.

HTH

Oliver

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
    • photools.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 09:49:25 AM »
Then my idea would be that the blank in "program files" is causing issues. I have changed the way IMatch calls ET and now wrap the config file name in ", which seems to have no side-effects.
Since IMatch calls ExifTool this way since version 5.0.0.0, I wonder why this now pops up, and only on a few PCs.

avanderheijden

• New Members
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:43:41 AM »
I wouldn't suspect that both users disabled 8.3 support on their systems.

At least not intentionally.  ::)  ;D
This hard drive was first used in a Win8 PC, which was later upgraded to Win10 for free. Now it has been put in a new PC which came with Win10, wiped clean and all relevant data copied back from a backup drive. Maybe something went wrong somewhere along that history.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
    • photools.com
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
Microsoft by default disables 8.3 file name handling now. To save some MB disk space in the file system.

Thankfully ExifTool has added support for UTF-8 file names a while ago, else users with non-ASCII file names would have trouble using it.
The same issue sometimes pops up with well-known cross-platform (Windows, Linux, Mac) development libraries and components which sometimes (even partially) have problems with non-ASCII file names or file names longer than a specific number of characters.

The reliably work-around used by many over the past decade was to feed them 'shortened' 8.3 file names provided by Windows as an alternative to each file name. This no longer works reliably, because depending when and how the disk was formatted, 8.3 file names support is off. There is a way to re-enable it. But IMatch should have no problems with long file names or on systems without 8.3 file name support.

Since I have fixed this now and I hope to ship an updated IMatch version within two weeks, I hope that this was the last one of these dependencies. It's always at the interface between IMatch and 3rd party components where these issues pop up. IMatch itself is fully UNICODE-save (including file names) for more than 10 years  ;)

avanderheijden

• New Members
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 07:41:54 PM »
Thanks a lot Mario! I'll keep an eye on a new version and let you know if I still have trouble with ET.  :)