Author Topic: Hide/Show all Panels Command for TWO monitors  (Read 2744 times)

sinus

• Global Moderator
  • IMatch-User since 2001 (IMatch 3.6)
Hide/Show all Panels Command for TWO monitors
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Hi Mario
If I have 2 monitors and I click "F9 - Backspace" to hide all panels, it works.

But if I do it again, to bring all panels back, all panels are in one monitor - and hence quite a mess.

I think, this could be a glitch?!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Hide/Show all Panels Command for TWO monitors
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:30:31 AM »
You have the panels distributed across several monitors?

Basically it should work. The command just simulates closing and re-opening all panels.
I think in this case the UI toolkit cannot manage the new command correctly. I will forward this as a bug ticket to the vendor but don't expect a quick response (several months, at least).

I need to find another monitor somewhere to test this. I have given up on secondary monitors since Windows supports multiple switchable desktops and the monitors become so large and with 4K and 8K resolutions...

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Thanks,
Mario, fine, no problem to wait.

Hm, I would not more work with only one monitor, since I have two.
And yes, IMatch (and photoshop) with two monitors is really cool.

But your words "multiple switchable desktops" made me think, hm, never used this, I have to check this out.
Markus

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:59:31 AM »
I also largely prefer two monitors, because desktops are switchable, but you can always only see one at a time. With two monitors, I can see twice as much information at the same time.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
I'm used to virtual desktops from other operating systems and I find them quite comfortable and useful. Windows 10 does a decent job.
Also, monitors get bigger, and a 5K 50" monitor has plenty of space  ::) :D Sufficient for IMatch and PS side-by-side.

Supporting 2 or 3, 4, ... monitor setups has always been a hassle. Windows 10 makes it easier, but not all toolkit vendors (sigh!) are up to the job. Or even fully support High-DPI screens with 200 or more DPI. And I'm always at the lower-bottom end when such issues rise up and I need to figure out a work-around or get timely support from the 3rd party vendor.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:04:32 AM by Mario »

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Carlo, Mario

true, what both of you have written.

I think, if the next time one of my montors is defective, than I will think again about this.
Seeing two football-games at the same time (one of each monitor) is quite a nice thing, although I did this not often.

But true is also, that monitors get bigger and cheaper, I can imagine a big monitor would also be an option. I mean, really big :-)

Mario, you mean really, you have a monitor with 127cm??? Did I made a mistake with converting 50 inch?
And if this is true,how far away are you sitting? (asking really, because it is interesting, also for the eyes, maybe).
Markus

Menace

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
I have 3 Monitors:

1. Main Monitor - Big one (1400)
2. Monitor for work, music, browser, Show fast pictures via "Wire" to other people via Monitorsharing
3. Monitor = Huion Tablet (just sometimes one, when I work with Capture 1 (for this perfect), Illustrator, Affinity design, ...).

Even if I like multiple switchable desktops by windows, it can never be as flexible like more Monitors (at least for me). ;-)

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
Mario, you mean really, you have a monitor with 127cm??? Did I made a mistake with converting 50 inch?
And if this is true,how far away are you sitting? (asking really, because it is interesting, also for the eyes, maybe).

No, I don't have one of these. Unfortunately.
The current 4K Dells or Eizos go up to 32". Which is already impressive ;-)

I have seen the next generation monitors at the Cebit trade show. 4 to 8K resolution, slightly bend to better wrap around you, very flat. Very wide. Like sticking two 4K 30" next to each other.
Very expensive. Not sure about color accuracy or viewing angle sensitivity.
I assume it will take a while before we see these in the arrive main stream, but they will come. Currently I'm working with one 4K monitor only. Before than I had two 2000 something monitors, but no more.

loweskid

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
I also use three monitors and can confirm the 'glitch' that sinus reports.

Three monitors are great for Photoshop - I have all the tools and panels on the right monitor, leaving the main monitor clear, while the Bridge browser is on the left.

Edit - I should add that I don't think I have ever used the Hide/Show Panels command before, until I tried it just now, so it's not a problem for me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:39:08 PM by loweskid »