Apps in Menus and Toolbars

Started by Mario, June 19, 2018, 08:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

IMatch 2018 allows apps to link themselves into menus and even into the File Window toolbar!

Via the app.json an app can now tell IMatch that it wants to be included in one or more menus or the File Window toolbar. IMatch uses the app icon to represent the app in the menu and toolbar automatically.

The following menus are available:

Database, Database Tools., Commands and Search.
Context menus for the Media & Folders tree, Category tree, Collection tree and the timeline.
All File Window context menus or only for folders, categories, collections, timeline, result.

File window toolbar, or only the file windows for folders, categories, collections, timeline, result.

An app included in a menu:

Two apps in the File Window toolbar:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

Cool. And where will the app be opened?
In the regular app panel?

Mario

This depends on the app and how it is configured in the app.json (default app panel, specific app panel, modal, ...)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Major +1 for the Toolbar shortcuts... favorites were nice.. but this beats even that!!

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on June 19, 2018, 09:19:35 PM
Major +1 for the Toolbar shortcuts... favorites were nice.. but this beats even that!!

Just to be clear: This is controlled by the app developer (via the app.json). Users cannot put apps into menus. We'll see how it goes and if many requests come in I might add some options for this. But Favorites are still good, because you can launch apps with the mouse and keyboard shortcuts.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on July 03, 2018, 07:54:37 PM
Quote from: Jingo on June 19, 2018, 09:19:35 PM

Just to be clear: This is controlled by the app developer (via the app.json). Users cannot put apps into menus. We'll see how it goes and if many requests come in I might add some options for this. But Favorites are still good, because you can launch apps with the mouse and keyboard shortcuts.

Well - I think once this rolls out and folks start seeing app shortcuts in the bar... you'll get some requests to be able to configure other apps for it.  Of course, we can always just edit the json for each app we want in the bar as well.. Thx again Mario.. looking forward to 2018!

Mario

QuoteWell - I think once this rolls out and folks start seeing app shortcuts in the bar...

It's actually pretty unlikely.

None of my apps (all the standard apps) uses this option - now.

If somebody a) develops an app and uses this new feature and b) shares the app and c) others install the app and then think "Hey, an app in the file window toolbar, nice!" they may want to file a request. I would then integrate something in the App Manager, like a check list n the app properties or something...

It's so easy to launch apps via the App Manager or to keep them running an in App Panel. Or make a Favorite for them...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JohnZeman

Quote from: Mario on July 04, 2018, 09:25:10 AM
It's so easy to launch apps via the App Manager or to keep them running an in App Panel. Or make a Favorite for them...

I have buttons in my app panels so I can easily switch from one of my apps to the next, works great. :)

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on June 19, 2018, 08:07:56 PM...Context menus for the Media & Folders tree, Category tree, Collection tree and the timeline..../quote]

Yippie!!!! Finally!!!