Author Topic: auto-translate metadata  (Read 1687 times)

kkiel

auto-translate metadata
« on: May 05, 2018, 06:08:36 AM »
Hello everybody,

is there a way to automatically translate metadata stored in attributes into another language with the help of Google translate? Maybe an app that I did not find until now?

Or at least a way to
1. copy an attribute row
2. paste it into Google Spreadsheets
3. translate it automatically and
4. re-paste the translated row into IMatch attributes?

No. 1-3 work fine, but I did not find a possibility to easily insert translated data into all fields of a row (I can only paste one cell at a time).

Of course I could import the translated row, but this is clumsy if I only need a quick translation for one row ...

Of course I have to check the automatic translation afterwards but I want to do it in IMatch with the image visible ...

Any help is appreciated!

Regards

kkiel

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: auto-translate metadata
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
There is no such app.

If you need such a functionality, maybe export your Attributes to a CSV file, translate that, delete the Attributes and then re-import the CSV file.
You can export Attribute data to CSV using the Text Exporter in the Import & Export Panel. And the CSV Importer to re-import the data afterwards.

Of course an app would be more comfortable but so far you seem to be the only user who needs such a functionality.
Note that Google wants money if you use their translation services via their API (which would be required by the app).
Google charges 20US$ per MB: https://cloud.google.com/translate/pricing
Microsoft and the other translation vendors charge about the same.

An app that performs auto-translation would thus have to be a paid service or you would have to provide your own Google login credentials so the translations can be charged against your account.
When you copy/paste data into the Google Translator web site Google does not charge but limits the amount of text you can translate and also retains your text for "internal" purposes (to learn about you, and to link the text with what Google collects about you).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:12:16 AM by Mario »

kkiel

Re: auto-translate metadata
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
Thanks, Mario, I already work with the export / import attributes functions but hoped there was an easier way.
And thanks for your insights into google translate!
Regards from Berlin,

kkiel