Copy metadata

Started by Ooteboe, January 31, 2018, 06:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ooteboe

I want to copy all EXIF metadata and makernotes from file 1 to file 2. At the moment I use exiftool with a GUI. Works perfect. But I presume this should be possible within iMatch/exiftool? Can somebody please tell me how?

Thanks, Hans

Mario

EXIF data never designed to be copied between files.
Some EXIF data contains maker notes, with pointers to data in the file. Copying this data to another file can be risky.
ExifTool tries to fix the maker note offsets while copying EXIF data but it may be wrong.
Usually there is no need to copy EXIF data between files.

You can of course copy EXIF data in IMatch. Or XMP. Or IPTC. Or GPS. Or combinations thereof. See the IMatch help on Copy Attributes.
Again, copying EXIF data between files may damage the files and/or the data. Or may cause problems with applications working with the files, now or in the future.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ooteboe

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2018, 06:12:29 PM
Usually there is no need to copy EXIF data between files.

My problem: I shoot RAW and make some changes in Capture one pro. Then I export the file to a jpg. But C1P doesn't include really important metadata such as focus mode, face recognition yes or no; which autofocus was applied etc. These notes are important for me to improve my skills. I tried to write focus mode by hand, there's a drop-down list in the metadata-field. But after saving it dissappears after a few seconds...

Quote from: Mario on January 31, 2018, 06:12:29 PM
You can of course copy EXIF data in IMatch. Or XMP. Or IPTC. Or GPS. Or combinations thereof. See the IMatch help on Copy Attributes.

Thanks for your advice. I have no experience with attributes, but i will study it thoroughly. Till now I didn't collect data OUTSIDE my photo's. Always afraid to loose the data. Had some crashes. I really liked the idea that everything I needed was within the photo itself. But maybe it's time to change that attitude and look further.

Thanks, Hans

Mario

Attributes in this sense refers to metadata, categories and other things you can copy from one file to another.

Again: EXIF-Data was never designed to be copied between files. Your camera vendor should let go of this 30 year old metadata mess and move on to XMP. Tell them. You paid them, they should get their job done.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook