IMatch and DxO-Photolab the prefect combination for a Nikon user

Started by Aubrey, November 22, 2017, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Many Nikon users bemoaned the demise of Capture NX2 when Nik software was sold to Google. The U-point technology was superior to anything else for local adjustments. Many of us managed to make do with Lightroom.

I've been playing with DxO's new product "PhotoLab". This is the replacement of DxO Optics Pro with the addition of U-point technology. DxO recently bought Nik software from Google and have added it to their product line.  So now rather than making main adjustments in DxO and perhaps moving to Lightroom for local adjustments all can be done in DxO-PhotoLab.

The cataloging, is primitive PhotoLab. A dedicated DAM package IMatch solves this issue  ;) Workflow is very straight forward. Images in IMatch can be drag and dropped in DxO PhotoLab. When processing is finished a button in the bottom right-hand corner allows the resulting processed files (DNG, TIFF JPG) to be dropped back into original (or user defined folder) They can also be sent to Flikr & Facebook for those Social Media people.

Of course it's not only Nikon users that benefit from this great combination!

I'm still working using the 30 day trial version; I think I'll be buying the Elite version - I'm very impressed by the Prime noise reduction on high ISO images.

The cost of the Elite software is about the same as a years subscription to LR CC (though with that of course you get access to PS).

Aubrey.

PS: A user who has more experience on this combination, might respond to Neil on the DxO forum. He's wanting to use DxO with IMatch: http://forum.dxo.com/index.php/topic,13644.0.html

Jingo

I'll have to give it a revisit... in the past - the files that DXO created were HUGE and the process (especially if the more advanced options were enabled) took forever on my system.  Its the reason I left LR so many years ago... it was painfully slow (sliders/exporting).  Capture one has always run fast on my system so that is where I landed...

I did like the results from DXO so if they fixed the speed issue (at least if it runs better on my system).. that would be great.  I might take the trial for a spin to find out!  Thx...

Aubrey

When one uses Prime noise reduction, this is only "finalized" on export. While within the software one can see how small sections of the image will look. Prime computation is performed in the background, but it does take time; results are very good at high ISO's (D500 > ISO 12800).
file size is intersting... one image I checked, and significantly cropped:
NEF: 23.6 MB
DNG (LR): 20.9 MB
DNG (DxO): 13.7 MB

Crops were not exactly the same but not too different.

Aubrey.

photomy

I will put in a plug for IMatch along with Nikon ViewNx-i as primary "open with", use link to Capture NX-D for most editing, and Use Neat Image for noise removal when needed.

With the new Nikon Nikon software does a great job once you have learned the shortcuts.  AND, it easily opens up the exact image from IMatch.  I make quick a quick jpg for the current edit and view it in IMatch using visual relation option.  Then I hide said jpgs with a special filter.  So, I view the raw images correctly as edited by Nikon software.

sinus

As long as I can I will go with Photoshop CS6 and do there the Raw-conversion.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus