Author Topic: Category Jumper  (Read 4961 times)

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
  • I'm too damn old to act my age.
Category Jumper
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:45:29 AM »
A simple script that mimics the function of the CURRENT tab in the Categories panel.

It lists the categories currently assigned to the selected image and lets you quickly jump to any one of those categories by simply clicking on it.  I wrote this script so I would be able to jump to any of the categories assigned to the selected image regardless of whether the Category Panel was visible or not.

By default this script will appear under Categories in the Script Manager and in the context menu when you right click over a thumbnail.
------------------------------------------------
Version 1.4 released 2013-08-31
  • No script modifications should be required now.
  • Checkbox options are now stored in the IMatch preferences (pts) file and will be used the next time you run the script.
  • If the selected image does not have any direct categories assigned, the Data-Driven and Reference category checkbox options are automatically enabled.
  • If the Keep this dialog open until the Quit button is pushed option is checked, the script will remember the last category clicked upon until you exit the script.

Version 1.5 (2013-09-13)
Fixed issue which prevented dialog from closing when the X Close button in the upper right hand corner was clicked.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:32:41 PM by JohnZeman »

sinus

• Global Moderator
  • IMatch-User since 2001 (IMatch 3.6)
Re: Category Jumper
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »
Hey John,
thanks a lot, it works very good!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
Very Nice.
Would also be a neat idea for an App...  :D but then one would have to have the App panel visible.
It its current form we can add the script to our Favorites and assign a keyboard shortcut to run it.

I would suggest to make "Show data-driven categories..:" the default.
This way the script also initially displays a dialog when the user picks an image without direct category assignments.
The user can then choose whether or not to show data-driven categories. And when you persist that setting with ScriptSettings the user has all the options.

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
Jep, John, what Mario proposes, is very good.
Just now I have data-driven cats, but no direct assignments.

Hence I have no chance to use your script, because it says "...no categories...".
But really a fine script!
Markus

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
I would suggest to make "Show data-driven categories..:" the default.
This way the script also initially displays a dialog when the user picks an image without direct category assignments.
The user can then choose whether or not to show data-driven categories. And when you persist that setting with ScriptSettings the user has all the options.

Thanks for the suggestion Mario, I like the idea of storing the user choices via ScriptSettings and I think I'll add another option to show/not show category references too.

That'll be my project for today when I'm not nagging the plumber to come fix my air conditioner which died yesterday in our 100 degree heat. >:(   :'(

I'll upload a new and improved version of this script in a few hours.

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »

Hence I have no chance to use your script, because it says "...no categories...".

Markus will you try the latest version of the script to see if it works better for you now?

Thanks.

cytochrome

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:03:18 PM »
This is very good, especially the easy access to the script in the context menu. And also amusing, a way to traverse one's database in zig-zag. Thank you.

I don't get the difference between Show category references ON or OFF

Francis

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »

Markus will you try the latest version of the script to see if it works better for you now?

Thanks.

John, thanks for this, excellent. Now it is much better.

Francis, I can see a difference in the title, and in the word "unassigned file", if I set the "references". But I do not have referenced categories yet. I think, if we have referenced categories, John's Jumper will show them!?
Markus

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »
I don't get the difference between Show category references ON or OFF

Thanks for the feedback Francis.

Showing Reference categories will list any categories using formulas that contain the selected image.  For example if I have an image with a rating of 3, and I have a category with a formula of "@Collection[Rating|3]" that category will show up as a reference category in the list of categories for the selected image.

I've just made one other small change to the script.  Now when it jumps to the selected category it also selects the same image that was originally selected.

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »
John, thanks for this, excellent. Now it is much better.

Francis, I can see a difference in the title, and in the word "unassigned file", if I set the "references". But I do not have referenced categories yet. I think, if we have referenced categories, John's Jumper will show them!?

Thanks for the feedback Markus, glad to know it's working better for you now. ;D 
And yes, I think you are right about reference categories although the help isn't very clear on exactly what a reference category is.  I should send Mario an email about that.  In fact I'll do that right now.

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
I've just made one other small change to the script.  Now when it jumps to the selected category it also selects the same image that was originally selected.

I wonder, John, if it would be possible, when we jump to the selected category, that your "jumper-window" would stay open, so that we could even better jump, from cat to another cat, because your window would stay open.

And your changing, as you pointed out, is sure a good enhancement.

BTW: "I'm too damn old to list my age. lol" .... :) I think, IF your profile-photo shows you, then your profile-text is not exactly true ... ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:14:35 PM by sinus »
Markus

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 12:16:27 AM »
Thanks Markus, that's a good suggestion about keeping the dialog box open.  In version 1.3 (which I've just uploaded) I've added another checkbox that will let you..

1.  Keep the dialog box open until you press the Quit button or
2.  To close the dialog right away like it does now.

About my profile status and avatar.  That's a small picture, a real tiny small picture.  It just makes me look like I'm less than a million years old. lol

Ferdinand

• 100 years since I was shot and a war was started
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55:56 AM »
neat!

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
Thanks Markus, that's a good suggestion about keeping the dialog box open.  In version 1.3 (which I've just uploaded) I've added another checkbox that will let you..

1.  Keep the dialog box open until you press the Quit button or
2.  To close the dialog right away like it does now.

Hi John, this is very good, and much convenient.
I do almost not dare to ask ...  :-[ but I could imagine two small things:

When I do jump from Cat to Cat, with letting open your window, then the window is in the middle of the monitor. I have two monitors, I would like to move your window on the second monitor (or in a edge of the main monitor), and jump from Cat to Cat, and your "jump-box" would stay in the same place. This would make it even easier to jump.

And the second thing: If I let stay the box with your new enhancement, and if I have a lot of cats and hence I must scroll down to click on the right cat to jump to it, then your script does this very good, but the whole cat-list in the box jumps again to the beginning. This means, if I want jumping to another cat, I have to scroll down again.
It would be nice, if my choice, when I click on a cat in your box, when this list would be stay, for example so, that the choosen category (what I have clicked), would be selected and stay, so I could easy choose the next or another category.

I have no idea, if this is possible, and to be honest, John, at the moment I do not know really, if I use your "jumper-script" often, hence if you have not time or if it is not possible: no problem. It would be only a good enhancement. (users demanding always more and more, I believe, Mario mentione this once!  8) )

About my profile status and avatar.  That's a small picture, a real tiny small picture.  It just makes me look like I'm less than a million years old. lol

:) It depends not on the real age, but on the age, like we are acting and thinking  ;D
Markus

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
Hi, John

looks like you'll need your own feature request board here in the community  ;)

@Markus: The category panel can be moved to another screen and retains it's position. And you can also jump up and down your category list with it (Ctrl+G).
I've added the left double-click as an alternative for the Goto command.

I have added the left double-click as an alternative to Ctrl+G so you can now just Ctrl+double-click a category in the Categories or double-click in the Current tab to jump to that category in the Category View.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:41:28 PM by Mario »

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »
Mario thanks for responding about the double screen use, since I've never used a computer with two monitors, I had no idea if this was possible or not.

Quote from: sinus
It would be nice, if my choice, when I click on a cat in your box, when this list would be stay, for example so, that the choosen category (what I have clicked), would be selected and stay, so I could easy choose the next or another category.

I should be able to do that.  I'll add that to the next update which I hope to get to later today.

Quote from: sinus
:) It depends not on the real age, but on the age, like we are acting and thinking  ;D

Oh.  Well in that case I'm an out of control 12 year old juvenile delinquent. lol ;)

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »
Hey John
Cool, you found it out! It works, clicking on the upper right corner closes the window now also.
Thanks!
Markus