[HELP!] No thumbnail images in preview after importing new photos...

Started by vpv, June 24, 2017, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpv

iMatch 5.8.4
Windows 10
Nikon NEF - Nikon D810
Nikon NEF Codec 1.31.0
Intel i7, RAM 32 Gb

Not all, but most of the images shown without 'pictures'

Tried import files from Synology NAS drive, local HDD and local SSD - the same result
Tried re-import files, rescan, rebuild cache...

See attached images for details

Mario

Show use the application log file from an IMatch session where you tried to refresh the thumbnails (select some files, then press <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5>).
To view the log file, go to Help > Support > View Application Logfile.
If IMatch cannot produce thumbnails, it will write errors into the log file.

Since this happened "suddenly", what did you do before?
Do a database diagnosis (Database menu > Tools) to ensure that the database is OK.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vpv

No changes in the system more, then year
I tried to refresh the thumbnails (<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5>)

I changed SSD to new one, but AFTER I started seeing the issue with thumbnails

Mario

After changing the disk, did you use the "Relocate" command to tell IMatch that your files are on another disk?
The files in your screen shot don't show the off-line icon so I assume you did.

Agian, try to force an update of the files using Shift+Ctrl+F5.
Then attach the log file so we can see what IMatch is reporting.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

vpv

Just right now I selected first 5 images and re-cahed them. See attached log file

I no need to relocate files as I used SSD for system/Adobe cache
Now I'm trying to use it with new folder to see how it would affect the problem

On brand new SSD I created new Folder, copied images from CD cards into and added this folder to imatch

vpv

sinus

after

"I tried to refresh the thumbnails (<Shift>+<Ctrl>+<F5>)"

did you tried "force update"?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

jch2103

One more suggestion: Run WIC Diagnostics on one of the files (Help/Support/WIC Diagnostics...) and post the results back here.

ps - I have FastPictureViewer Codec Pack installed, but it appears a recent Windows update changed my default for NEF files to Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder. Something similar might have happened at your end to cause images not to display properly.
John

vpv

Thank you, jch2103!

They said: (GetThumbnail failed (88982F44 The bitmap codec does not support a thumbnail.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
Any suggestions?
What "88982F44 The bitmap codec" is?

Here is the result:

List of installed codecs:
   Codec 'BMP Decoder' for extensions .bmp,.dib,.rle
   Codec 'GIF Decoder' for extensions .gif
   Codec 'ICO Decoder' for extensions .ico,.icon
   Codec 'JPEG Decoder' for extensions .jpeg,.jpe,.jpg,.jfif,.exif
   Codec 'PNG Decoder' for extensions .png
   Codec 'TIFF Decoder' for extensions .tiff,.tif
   Codec 'DNG Decoder' for extensions .dng
   Codec 'WMPhoto Decoder' for extensions .wdp,.jxr
   Codec 'DDS Decoder' for extensions .dds
   Codec 'Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder' for extensions .ARW,.CR2,.CRW,.ERF,.KDC,.MRW,.NEF,.NRW,.ORF,.PEF,.RAF,.RAW,.RW2,.RWL,.SR2,.SRW,.DNG
   Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder' for extensions .nef

Testing file 'F:\_NEW_PHOTOS\_DSC1577.NEF'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder'
      (GetThumbnail failed (88982F44 The bitmap codec does not support a thumbnail.).) 0x0 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder'
      () 7360x4912 pixel in 16 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Nikon .NEF Raw File Decoder'
      () 7360x4912 pixel in 0 ms.

RainerG

Quote from: jch2103 on June 24, 2017, 07:50:19 PM
One more suggestion: Run WIC Diagnostics on one of the files (Help/Support/WIC Diagnostics...) and post the results back here.

ps - I have FastPictureViewer Codec Pack installed, but it appears a recent Windows update changed my default for NEF files to Microsoft Camera Raw Decoder. Something similar might have happened at your end to cause images not to display properly.

You must deinstall/install the FastPictureViewer. I had the same problem with my new pics.
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

Mario

This would be the first thing I would try. Re-install the FPV codecs.
There is a message on the FPC codec web site and an update as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vpv

RainerG and Mario!

I never had the the FastPictureViewer installed on this computer. As well as, the FPV codecs. It's from jch2103 post.

Or do you mean, the MS included them into standard installation package?

I use this computer purely for photo production. So, nothing except what I need for Photos  - imatch, Adobe PS, Capture One Pro...
All codes are from what MS has for Widows 'by default'. And additionally, I installed Nikon NEF Codec. Today, trying to find the source of the issue, I updated it to 1.31.0

Mario

Your log file contains no entries for file updates (forced or otherwise).
Did you attach a log file from a session where you tried to force update files?

I notice that IMatch uses over 2 GB RAM, which is quite a lot for only 150,000 files. Try to delete some unneeded data-driven categories. Or consider upgrading to IMatch 2017, which uses a lot less memory.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vpv

Just double check what codacs the system have:
- NEC Codacs from Nikon
- Shark007 ADVANCED Codecs 6.6.8

As I understand, the Shark007 Codecs for video and should not affect image rendering - Am I wrong?
Shark007 ADVANCED Codecs 6.6.8 was installed a few months ago, and that time there were no issues

vpv

RE: "I notice that IMatch uses over 2 GB RAM, which is quite a lot for only 150,000 files. Try to delete some unneeded data-driven categories. Or consider upgrading to IMatch 2017, which uses a lot less memory."

Mario,

- What is the easiest procedure to allocate and delete "data-driven categories"?
- "upgrading to IMatch 2017" would be next step after I can cope with existing issues (including regular crashes - as I reported to the Support, may be the same solution with "data-driven categories")

Mario

Switch to the category view and, for example, delete the IMatch Sample Categories, if you don't need them.

I still need the log file from a session where you used a forced update on some of your files, and where this failed. This should give us some error messages to work with.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vpv

While is thinking of how to find 'problem' data-driven categories...
What is still surprising for me - just in Windows Explorer I can see a preview of all RAW (NEF) images.
No issues, when I open the same folder in Adobe Bridge, in Capture One Pro...

P.S. just one program keep me with Windows is iMatch. Never had similar problems under Apple platforms...

Mario

As I said above, if you don't provide a log file, I cannot see what the problem is and this means I cannot help you.
Showing me a screen shot of Windows Explorer does not help.

I use Nikon cameras personally and I have never problems working with NEF files. I use the Nikon WIC codec on some machines, the built-in W10 codecs on others. The best are the FPC codecs, though.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

vpv

Mario,

I submitted the log file few post before. See it here https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6779.0;attach=15413

So far... I tried to "force update" again, but on few selected files only. This time it is working - after "force update" I can see a preview on those selected files.

vpv

...and I sent you LOG files through wetransfer.com (could not be attached it here due to size limitations)

Mario

Quote from: vpv on June 30, 2017, 02:18:46 AM
Mario,

I submitted the log file few post before. See it here https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6779.0;attach=15413

So far... I tried to "force update" again, but on few selected files only. This time it is working - after "force update" I can see a preview on those selected files.

This log file did not contain any entries for adding/updating files, hence it was not helpful.

Just rescan a folder to reproduce the problem. Then attach the log file from that session. I need to see what IMatch gets back from the WIC codec on your system to learn more about the problem. Did you reduce the number of data-driven categories so far to lower the memory consumption of IMatch 5.8? The 2017 version does use 80% less memory for categories so if you have upgraded, this is not needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator