How to get a bing key

Started by clpratt, June 03, 2017, 11:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

I have read the help for obtaining a bing maps key but when I get to the bing 'Create key' screen (see screenshot) I'm not sure what to put in the boxes.
can anyone please advise.

Chris

Mario

It is not really designed for individual users requesting keys. If you want to use Bing, consider yourself a developer who wants to test a new application. Enter your own web site address, for example, and an app name of your choice. Basic also should be fine.

Usually the application developer or website creator (me) requests a key for the entire application/web site. And then pays for all users who use that key.

Which is of course not possible for me, I cannot pay for the Google/Bing maps usage of my users.
When you get your own key you are very unlikely to ever exceed the "free" API call volume. All Match users together will exceed this quickly, requiring me to pay money to Microsoft for each API call.

Companies like Adobe or large web sites can afford that. They probably even get a kick-back from Google/Microsoft when they "enrich" the IP address of your computer with some additional data. This is why you are often forced to use one specific map vendor (e.g., Google) in these apps. Behind-the-curtain data exchange contracts in many cases.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

clpratt

Thanks Mario, but sorry for my ignorance what do you mean by 'Enter your own web site address'. you mean any made up address? I haven't got a web site address as far as I know.
Could you please give an example.

hluxem

It worked for me leaving the website address empty, I just used My Application as the name. For Bing maps I had to restart Imatch to recognize the new key, the Google key was recognized without restart Imatch.

Heiner

clpratt

Thanks hluxem,
I am finding the same as you, the Google key was recognised without an IMatch restart.
I also left the bing website entry empty and IMatch needed a restart before bing maps would start.
But although bing map now opens, only IMatch info is displayed, all 3 bing maps are just black screen, no map detail.