IMatch 2017 install variation

Started by P.Jones, May 30, 2017, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

I backed up my IM 5.8.4 Database etc before installing IM2017.

I ran the install program on my Win8 machine, program opened up as expected, but I did NOT open my existing imd5 database.

I then installed program on my WinX machine, program opened up as expected. I then opened my existing imd5 database, which was then converted for use with IM2017.

Everything seems fine. My existing Workspaces are there also all my Presets for the Renamer are there, together with my colour scheme for Thumbnail Panel Colours etc.

I now went back to my Win8 machine and opened up the recently converted imd5 database.

None of my existing Workspaces, Presets or colour schemes are there. The program is set at default.

Don't know if this is a bug but just letting you know for you to check.

I'm thinking if I do a Pack and Go with my WinX machine and restore to my Win8 machine this would resolve the issue.

Both machines do use the same user name.

Version 5.8.4 still works as expected on both machines.

Pics attached

P.Jones

Sorry should have put in the bug reports

Mario

I cannot exactly follow what you did with your Win8 (a computer running Windows 8?) or WinX (Windows 10)?

IMatch 2017 copies over the entire settings database. It will thus use a exact copy of all your settings.
You can copy the settings database manually (note the name change!) to copy over all your settings again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on May 30, 2017, 03:53:49 PM
I cannot exactly follow what you did with your Win8 (a computer running Windows 8?) or WinX (Windows 10)?

IMatch 2017 copies over the entire settings database. It will thus use a exact copy of all your settings.
You can copy the settings database manually (note the name change!) to copy over all your settings again.

Yes one hard drive runs Windows 8 and another run Windows X, both use the same database.

Windows X installed correctly with my Workspaces, Presets and  Colour schemes.

Windows 8 installed as default settings like a new installation.

Mario

Check the IMATCH_*_MIGRATE*.txt log file in TEMP.
IMatch 2017 migrates only once, when it is first started. It records that the migration was run in the registry.
Migration only runs when IMatch 5.* installation is found and the folders are in their default location.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

P.Jones

Quote from: Mario on May 30, 2017, 05:02:52 PM
Check the IMATCH_*_MIGRATE*.txt log file in TEMP.
IMatch 2017 migrates only once, when it is first started. It records that the migration was run in the registry.
Migration only runs when IMatch 5.* installation is found and the folders are in their default location.

Yes I see that may be the cause of my problem.

I ran Pack and Go on my WinX installation to do a backup.

I then did a restore to my Win8 installation and everything back to normal again.

Mario

So, solved then?
Pack & Go does not copy registry settings so the Migration will have run. The log file would tell us what the migration did, and what not.
If you somehow restored a Pack and Go into the imath 5 folder afterwards, this will of course not migrated again. This is a one time only migration, when IMatch 2017 runs for the first time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

P.Jones