File Relations

Started by habanr, June 24, 2013, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

habanr

Could anybody help me, how to configure file relations for my following file structure.
Raw file path: C:\Media\Photo\Year\MMDD-Event\Raw\xxxx.cr2
derivative file path: C:\Media\Photo\Year\MMDD-Event\xxxx.jpg
or C:\Media\Photo\Year\MMDD-Event\xxxx-v01.jpg

I tried
EXIF timestamp, List of Folders, Specified Folders Only, {p1}
without any success - I've refreshed relations.

Create manual version link doesn't work also as list box offers me only one definition "NEF Versioning"...

ianrr

Hmm  ... I cannot figure it out also with a folder for NEF files and a sub folder with JPG's from NEF files  ....  ???

bonsai

Specified Folders Only, {p1} should work.
Please let us see a screenshot of your settings.

habanr

I use following versioning setup

[attachment deleted by admin]

habanr

I've got it. The default configuration misleading as versioning is only for nef files.

Mario

QuoteThe default configuration misleading as versioning is only for nef files.
IMatch installs a few default relation definitions to give users a sample to work with, and to clone as a starting point for their own definitions.

Relations are a complex topic and users are well advised to read the corresponding help topic (<F1> while in the dialog) to fully understand the options available for this feature, and their implications. There are so many different versioning schemes in use today, and every application seems to do it's own thing. The unique Relations concept in IMatch 5 is able to handle almost all schemes and workflows, but this also causes a higher level of complexity.

If users share their Relation Definitions here in the community we can identify common rules and improve the defaults shipped with IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

It's certainly worth reading the help, because as Mario said this is a potentially complex topic.  It's important to note that buddy file definitions are different to versioning definitions, and typically you need one of each for each file format.

One thing I have found really useful is the "test expressions ..." button.  This helps you check that you're got the definition right, and so rules that out as a cause if you're having problems.

F.

habanr

"test expressions ..." button works only only in link via File name. In other configurations it's grayed so you can't test anything...

herman

Quote from: Mario on June 25, 2013, 09:18:41 AMIf users share their Relation Definitions here in the community we can identify common rules and improve the defaults shipped with IMatch.
I am preparing a post about the relation definitions I currently use.
I just wonder what would be the best place/board/.... to share it?
It is intended as sharing, just to show what works for me now, why it is set-up the way it is.
Enjoy!

Herman.

Mario

Just start a new post. This allows others to read it and to maybe append their own definitions.
If we get sufficient feedback like this I will open a new "Shared Stuff" board and move the posts to it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

herman

Thanks.
I will do that today.
Enjoy!

Herman.