Windows Layout

Started by Aubrey, January 29, 2017, 08:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have an issue with windows layout. I am missing "video files" from the list.

After deleting (including deletion of "stuff" in programdata) and reinstallation then video files appears, but of course I have lost my list of users and ACLs.

Now before deleting I stored separately the imwsconfig.xml (I'll call this "master" for this explanation)
After the reinstallation I compared the files. There is not significant difference between the "default" and the "master" file  (except for the groups and user).

Now if I swap the default file for the "master" I had stored separately then the issue of not seeing video file again occurs.

If I modify the "master"
   <authentication>
      <enabled>false</enabled>

Then the video file appears in the list (but of course I have a default login).

Next test: take the default file and add a user
Video Files disappears

Remove user and ask not to authenticate
Video Files appears back in list

It seems on my system as soon as I add a user the video files option disappears....

As nobody has yet reported this behaviour, I think it must be something I'm doing wrong.

I have attached 3 files:
WindowsLayoutMaster.jpg is after authentication
WindowsLayoutDefault.jpg is default file after reinstalling IMWA
imwsconfig.xml.master is my config file that has users and groups

Mario

Your users and ACLs you have is stored in the imwsconfig.xml you can should keep that (IMA installer does not replace this file).

Which layouts are available has nothing to do with IMWS. This is all controlled by IMatch WebViewer. If you don't see all layouts, you somehow have a mix of beta sources and the final product or your browser cache is delivering old stuff.

Clear the cache of your browser. Clean out the "imatchviewer" folder. Re-install IMWS.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

I have done another reinstall and reboot, and ensured that programdata\photools.com\IMatchanywhere , and "program files\photools.com\ImatchWebServices" were removed. I have now cleared everything in Chrome browser from "beginning of time".
If I log in without enabling authentication - I get the complete list in the layout i.e. "Video Files" appears as an option. If I add authentication and a user then the "Video Files" in the drop down list disappears. I am running browser on local machine where IMWA and Webservices controller is installed.

Could there be something left behind in regedit? I remember I had this issue during testing and a clean install solved it.

Thoughts...

Mario

Ah, now I get it.

Displaying video files or MP3 files requires access to the original files. If the logged in user has no access to original files, these layouts are not shown to him.
Enable authentication and make sure your user has access to original files.
Or, if you want to continue using the default user, add an ACL for the user name, and allow him to access original files.

The default user is really only intended as a developer aid and to get "new" users running quickly (install -> success).

I have documented this in the IMatch WebViewer - Installation & Configuration documentation, where I explain the meaning of allowOriginalDownload.

It is also documented in the IMatch WebViewer help, in the section about the Layout Panel:

Some layouts are only available if IMatch WebServices have been configured to allow access to original files. Ask your system administrator for support.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on January 30, 2017, 02:42:25 PM
Displaying video files or MP3 files requires access to the original files. If the logged in user has no access to original files, these layouts are not shown to him.
Enable authentication and make sure your user has access to original files.

I have documented this in the IMatch WebViewer - Installation & Configuration documentation, where I explain the meaning of allowOriginalDownload.
It is also documented in the IMatch WebViewer help, in the section about the Layout Panel:

OK now I understand..

However...
I currently have 3 users:
Family:
this group see a part of database controlled by ACL, and I can easily add a tick on "Access Original Files"
Running:
this is a group where I am "photographer" and put photos up each week, again they see a certain part of the database with ACL

Administrator
I want to see all the database and download etc. To do this I have set up an account called administrator.
As the setup is now, administrator needs a user group (I have used All in attached UserGroup.jpg), to simply be able to have the option to download originals, of course  no ACL is required

This is a terrible waste of a user group, especially as the default in config.json is set to:
"allowOriginalDownload": true.

When "allowOriginalDownload": true in config.json, it should not be necessary to also have a group option tick to again access original files.

It would be better for the access to original files to be done under the User Management tab, "Edit User". Given that there are a limited number of User Groups (3 for home edition) compared to "Users" (5 in home edition) access to downloading original ought to be based on a per user basis, not on which part of a database a user can access.

Aubrey.

Mario

QuoteWhen "allowOriginalDownload": true in config.json, it should not be necessary to also have a group option tick to again access original files.

This is wrong. This setting is something that is related to an app - in this case, IMatch WebViewer.
You cannot allow an app to override a user group setting made in IMWS. Even if IMatch WebViewer (or any other app or script) would give the user some button to download an original, IMWS must prevent that when the user has no privileges to do so.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

If authentication is disabled on the server, the default user gets all privileges (see protected files, allow originals) automatically.
If authentication is enabled, what a user sees is controlled via the ACL settings.

I have changed this behavior for the next release as follows:

If the logged in user has the role 'Administrator' he automatically gets the access original and see protected file privileges assigned.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on February 01, 2017, 08:59:04 AM
I have changed this behavior for the next release as follows:

If the logged in user has the role 'Administrator' he automatically gets the access original and see protected file privileges assigned.

Excellent this will free up one of my 3 user group privileges