A calendar

Started by cthomas, December 12, 2016, 01:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I want to make a a calendar Something like this: Year > Month > and  Day. Would it go under When. I think it would pull this information my !Ingest folder so it would get new information as I put new images in my !Ingest folder. As I completed a month, I would color(what color would you use) code it so I had Instant feedback on what I had finished.  I want to do it this way and not use the Timeline.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Did'nt we already discuss this to dead?
We explained about the functionality of the IMatch Timeline. It will already include all files in your "ingest" folder.

We explained to you how to use a data-driven category to add Year > Month > Day categories anywhere in your category tree.
Please look at your own posts (from your profile) to find all related info, how to setup the category etc.

If you want a Year > Month > Day data-driven category which does not use the entire database but only files in your ingest folder, this is an advanced topic.

I would do it in 3 steps:

1. I would setup a formula-based category named "Ingest Folder" which uses the @RFolder formula to include all files in your ingest folder.

2. I then would create a data-driven category using the Year > Month > Day setup we have already discussed in a very long thread. The only change is that you set the "Ingest Folder" category created in step 1 as the Category Filter in your data-driven category.

This does what you need. You get a Year > Month > Day category hierarchy, but one that only looks at the files in your Ingest folder.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 12, 2016, 09:03:08 AM

We explained to you how to use a data-driven category to add Year > Month > Day categories anywhere in your category tree.
Please look at your own posts (from your profile) to find all related info, how to setup the category etc.

Sorry Mario but I don't see any any thing in my profile about my post.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

sinus

should be here.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

cthomas

sinus I don't  what you showed in your screen shot. How can I find what you show ed in your screen shot? This is what I see.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Click on your name (in orange, in the lower left of your screen shot) to see your profile.
Then click on the Show Posts under your name. This will show you all the posts you have made, all answers you have received by other users etc. Use the search function in your browser to search for what you are looking for.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

1. I would setup a formula-based category named "Ingest Folder" which uses the @RFolder formula to include all files in your ingest folder.

2. I then would create a data-driven category using the Year > Month > Day setup we have already discussed in a very long thread. The only change is that you set the "Ingest Folder" category created in step 1 as the Category Filter in your data-driven category.

This does what you need. You get a Year > Month > Day category hierarchy, but one that only looks at the files in your Ingest folder.

"1. I would setup a formula-based category named "Ingest Folder" which uses the @RFolder formula to include all files in your ingest folder." I have created this.

"2. I then would create a data-driven category using the Year > Month > Day setup we have already discussed in a very long thread. The only change is that you set the "Ingest Folder" category created in step 1 as the Category Filter in your data-driven category." I could not find out how to do this?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 12, 2016, 07:58:35 PM
Click on your name (in orange, in the lower left of your screen shot) to see your profile.
Then click on the Show Posts under your name. This will show you all the posts you have made, all answers you have received by other users etc. Use the search function in your browser to search for what you are looking for.

This is the bottom of my screen but I don't see  my name (in orange.)
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

sinus

here.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

cthomas

Did'nt we already discuss this to dead?
We explained about the functionality of the IMatch Timeline. It will already include all files in your "ingest" folder.

If you want a Year > Month > Day data-driven category which does not use the entire database but only files in your ingest folder, this is an advanced topic.

Ok Mario I foun this a .zip file named "Files by Date." "Does this do what I need. You get a Year > Month > Day category hierarchy, but one that only looks at the files in your Ingest folder."
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

cthomas

Mario isn't there away that I can use a formula or something  that I can use. So that as I categorize an image in the Ingest folder or the Files by Date folder. So that that image is removed?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

I can't follow.
What do you want to do,exactly?

In your first post in this thread you wanted a way to group the files in your ingest folder only by Year/Month/Day.
I explained how to do that.
Did you try it?
It takes maybe two minutes to create a Year/Month/Day data-driven category anywhere in your category hierarchy, and to enter the name of your "Ingest" folder as the Category Filter. I suggest you try that out first.

I don't know what kind of formula you are now looking for.
What should this formula do?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 13, 2016, 08:45:29 AM
I can't follow.
What do you want to do,exactly?

In your first post in this thread you wanted a way to group the files in your ingest folder only by Year/Month/Day.
I explained how to do that.
Did you try it?
It takes maybe two minutes to create a Year/Month/Day data-driven category anywhere in your category hierarchy, and to enter the name of your "Ingest" folder as the Category Filter. I suggest you try that out first.

What should this formula do?

"In your first post in this thread you wanted a way to group the files in your ingest folder only by Year/Month/Day.
I explained how to do that. Did you try it? " Yes and it is working  I found this  .zip file named "Files by Date." And I used this .Zip to create it.

What should this formula do?"  I don't know if I need a formula to do what I need or not. I Just want to accomplish this:

Now what I need to do is: Find some way to move the files from the Ingest and Files by Date as I categorize them. I don't know were to move them to. That is what I'm asking you. Were would the best place be and how to do it. I hope you can understand this.

See images.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

QuoteNow what I need to do is: Find some way to move the files from the Ingest and Files by Date as I categorize them. I don't know were to move them to. That is what I'm asking you. Were would the best place be and how to do it. I hope you can understand this.

You are asking me where to move your files too?
In your one screen shot you show me a data-driven category which groups your files by Year/Month/Day.
Looking at the file counts it seems like this category is based on all files in your database. Not just at the 89 files in your Ingest-2 folder.

What is your workflow?

Typically you would look at the files in your Ingest Folder, weed out bad images, then categorize, add keywords, descriptions, titles.
Once this is done, the typical workflow would be to create a new folder in IMatch (in your file system) and then use drag & drop to move the files from "ingest" to this new folder. How this folder is named, where it is placed etc. is entirely up to you. It depends on how you prefer your file system, etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 13, 2016, 06:13:53 PM
QuoteNow what I need to do is: Find some way to move the files from the Ingest and Files by Date as I categorize them. I don't know were to move them to. That is what I'm asking you. Were would the best place be and how to do it. I hope you can understand this.

You are asking me where to move your files too?
In your one screen shot you show me a data-driven category which groups your files by Year/Month/Day.
Looking at the file counts it seems like this category is based on all files in your database. Not just at the 89 files in your Ingest-2 folder.

What is your workflow?

Typically you would look at the files in your Ingest Folder, weed out bad images, then categorize, add keywords, descriptions, titles.
Once this is done, the typical workflow would be to create a new folder in IMatch (in your file system) and then use drag & drop to move the files from "ingest" to this new folder. How this folder is named, where it is placed etc. is entirely up to you. It depends on how you prefer your file system, etc.

"What is your workflow?"

1. Start with Ingest and Files by Date being empty.
2. Add about 50 files from My pictures to the Ingest category this will in turn populate the Files by Date category.
3. Then I will  assign Images from  the Ingest category and/or the Files by Date category.

4. Once this is done, the typical workflow would be to create a new folder in IMatch (in your file system what do you mean?) and then use drag & drop to move the files from "ingest" and  "Files by Date category"to this new folder'What would be your suggestion for this new folder '. How this folder is named, where it is placed(what is your suggestion) etc. is entirely up to you. It depends on how you prefer your file system, etc.

"then use drag & drop" Is there no way to automatically move these files?
[/quote]
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Quote"then use drag & drop" Is there no way to automatically move these files?

Move files to where? Based on what criteria? When?

IMatch does not automatically move files around in your file system.
The Renamer has a step that moves files around.
Other than that, a simple drag & drop or cut/paste does the trick nicely and quickly.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on December 13, 2016, 07:52:07 PM
Quote"then use drag & drop" Is there no way to automatically move these files?

Move files to where? Based on what criteria? When?

IMatch does not automatically move files around in your file system.
The Renamer has a step that moves files around.
Other than that, a simple drag & drop or cut/paste does the trick nicely and quickly.

"Move files to where? Based on what criteria? When?"

Mario I think what I need is a way for me to tell when I have  assigned  all of the images in my Ingest Folder and Files by Date category because after I have assigned  all of the images I won't need them in my Ingest Folder and Files by Date any more. Will I because I will add new images my my Ingest Folder and Files by Date?

Could I do something like this  "Files in the Universal Catalog" formular if in Universal Catalog then move from Ingest or delete something like this. After Ingest is empty I can put New files in imagest.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Carl -
We're missing some basic information from you.

1. Have you added all your photo files (I assume they're in My Photos) to your database? You didn't answer my question about this in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6175.msg42630#msg42630. One of your screen shots shows you've added ~ 43,000 images to your database (based on the @All category), but another screen shots show ~ 30,000 in the database and yet another shows 70 in your database. Do you have several databases?

2. How are your image files organized on your computer? I assume they're all under My Photos, but what kind of structure are you using below that? Are your files grouped by date? Or by some other principle (e.g., project or location or camera, etc.)?

3. An Ingest folder is just a temporary spot in your computer for downloading images from your camera (depending on your workflow). Most people download new photos there, then add categories, keywords, captions and other metadata, and after that move them to another location on their computer based on how they organize their files. You have to move these files manually to a new location when you no longer need them in your Ingest folder, as Mario and JohnZeman have discussed.

4. If you were previously using IMatch 3, can we assume you have already categorized these images? Are you now only concerned with categorizing new files added to your database, or do you still need to categorize all of the images in your database? The answer will help point to the best way to tackle the images.

5. Remember that the Timeline tab automatically shows all your files by date, and the Sample Categories also show the way to use data-driven Categories to show files organized by date. You don't need to do anything new to use these.

If we understand better where you are organizationally and what you want to accomplish, we can provide better help.
John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on December 13, 2016, 10:53:32 PM
Carl -
We're missing some basic information from you.

1. Have you added all your photo files (I assume they're in My Photos) to your database? You didn't answer my question about this in https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6175.msg42630#msg42630. One of your screen shots shows you've added ~ 43,000 images to your database (based on the @All category), but another screen shots show ~ 30,000 in the database and yet another shows 70 in your database. Do you have several databases?

2. How are your image files organized on your computer? I assume they're all under My Photos, but what kind of structure are you using below that? Are your files grouped by date? Or by some other principle (e.g., project or location or camera, etc.)?

3. An Ingest folder is just a temporary spot in your computer for downloading images from your camera (depending on your workflow). Most people download new photos there, then add categories, keywords, captions and other metadata, and after that move them to another location on their computer based on how they organize their files. You have to move these files manually to a new location when you no longer need them in your Ingest folder, as Mario and JohnZeman have discussed.

4. If you were previously using IMatch 3, can we assume you have already categorized these images? Are you now only concerned with categorizing new files added to your database, or do you still need to categorize all of the images in your database? The answer will help point to the best way to tackle the images.

5. Remember that the Timeline tab automatically shows all your files by date, and the Sample Categories also show the way to use data-driven Categories to show files organized by date. You don't need to do anything new to use these.

If we understand better where you are organizationally and what you want to accomplish, we can provide better help.

All of my images have been dumped randomly into a folder named My Pictures(about 34,000 images.) I'm just starting to categorize my images.
In My Pictures folder I have a folder named Ingest, in the Ingest folder I put fifty or so files. Then inside IMatch I go to Command > Add or Update Folders and add my Ingest folder which also loads a Data-driven categorie named Files by Date. I can now chose a file from either Ingest or Files by Date and categorize my images.

After I categorize the images in Ingest or Files by Date and delete these files. I then load new image into the Ingest. Now I do this over and over until all of my images are categorized.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on December 14, 2016, 12:40:04 AM
All of my images have been dumped randomly into a folder named My Pictures(about 34,000 images.) I'm just starting to categorize my images.
In My Pictures folder I have a folder named Ingest, in the Ingest folder I put fifty or so files. Then inside IMatch I go to Command > Add or Update Folders and add my Ingest folder which also loads a Data-driven categorie named Files by Date. I can now chose a file from either Ingest or Files by Date and categorize my images.

After I categorize the images in Ingest or Files by Date and delete these files. I then load new image into the Ingest. Now I do this over and over until all of my images are categorized.

If you already have all 34,000 files in your database, and your database includes the Ingest folder, then you don't need to use the Command/Add or Update Folders again; IMatch already knows about the folder and will recognize the files you add to it (depending on how you have things set up, you might need to Rescan the folder; see the Indexing topic in the Help for more about this).

You should be very careful about deleting files. The normal practice would be to move the files to a different (possibly new) folder after you've categorized them. Remember that Categories are just a virtual representation of the physical files on your computer, which is different from the Media & Folders view which shows the physical locations of your files. If you delete files in your Ingest folder instead of moving them, they will be gone forever!

And of course you can categorize files already in your database by just going to the folder(s) in the Media & Folders view or by using the Timeline view or a data-driven year/month/day category. For files already in your database, there's no need to put them into the Ingest folder; that folder should really just be used for adding new files from a camera or other source.

John

cthomas

Quote from: jch2103 on December 14, 2016, 01:30:45 AM
Quote from: cthomas on December 14, 2016, 12:40:04 AM

You should be very careful about deleting files. The normal practice would be to move the files to a different (possibly new) folder after you've categorized them. Remember that Categories are just a virtual representation of the physical files on your computer, which is different from the Media & Folders view which shows the physical locations of your files. If you delete files in your Ingest folder instead of moving them, they will be gone forever!

"b]You should be very careful about deleting files.[/b]" Thank you for letting me know about this." If you delete files in your Ingest folder instead of moving them, they will be gone forever!" Is this in the HELP?

So what is the best way for me to move the images in my Ingest folder? After I assign the images in my Ingest folder. Are they also put in my data base?  Ok. after I assign the images in my Ingest folder and move them to another category. This category will get have about 34,000 images in it. What do I do with this folder. Just let it set there?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jch2103

Quote from: cthomas on December 14, 2016, 06:04:20 PM
You should be very careful about deleting files." Thank you for letting me know about this." If you delete files in your Ingest folder instead of moving them, they will be gone forever!" Is this in the HELP?

So what is the best way for me to move the images in my Ingest folder? After I assign the images in my Ingest folder. Are they also put in my data base?  Ok. after I assign the images in my Ingest folder and move them to another category. This category will get have about 34,000 images in it. What do I do with this folder. Just let it set there?

Yes, this deleting files is discussed in the Help. See the topic 'File Management in IMatch'. The thing to keep in mind is that IMatch uses standard Windows file management tools 'under the covers', so deleting a file in IMatch is just the same as deleting a file in Windows Explorer: when it's deleted, it's gone!

Your Ingest folder is in your database, so when you add images to it, they are also included in your database. If you move all files out of the Ingest folder to a different location (another folder, which is not the same as another category), the Ingest folder will be empty and available for using with the next batch of new images from your camera. IMatch has a bunch of tools for moving and doing other file management. Again, see 'File Management in IMatch' for details. In summary, you can drag and drop to move files, use keyboard shortcuts (e.g., ctrl-X, ctrl-V, etc.) and use right-mouse menu commands.
John

Mario

1. The <Del> key by default marks files for deletion by giving them the reject rating.
2. When you use the delete file function in IMatch, IMatch will show a warning and then do as it is told.
3. IMatch by default deletes files into the Windows recycle bin.
4. If you use <Ctrl>+<Del> (delete without prompt) IMatch will do exactly that.

It's hard to accidentally delete a file in IMatch. And yes, all this is in the help. Start wit the topic "File Management" as outlined above.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator