Author Topic: Help with missing IPTC information  (Read 2659 times)

Albert

• New Members
Help with missing IPTC information
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »
Apologizes for my english.
I have moved my database IMatch 3 to 5, but IMatch IPTC information (copyright, description, keywords ...) has disappeared in new database (IM5). How can I recover IPTC fields from my old database to new one?
 I am a professional photographer but I'm not too good at the with database aknowledment.
I must admit that I'm lost with the features of the new IMatch. With the old E3, I was working with IPTC Specially panel (also xmp).

Best.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Help with missing IPTC information
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
Hi, Albert

IMatch 5 automatically imports legacy IPTC data into XMP during the conversion process.  This is part of the mapping IMatch performs to apply the recommendations of the Metadata Working Group.

In the Metadata Panel, switch to the "Browser" layout. This shows you all the data IMatch has imported for your files. Do you see any IPTC data there?

Tip: If you just migrated from IMatch 3 (IMatch 5 is around for almost 3 years now) check out the "For IMatch 3 Users" help topic, right at the front page of the IMatch help system. This topic explains about the most important changes and should get you up and running quickly. Also check out the "First Steps" help topic, while you're at it.

Albert

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
Dear Mario,

the browser layout is empty (specially with tiff, absolutly nothing there), but in iptc panel in Imatch 3 I've information about description, copyright, etc.

Albert

• New Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »

It's already solved,

thank you very much.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
You have solved it how? We're all happy to learn new things... :)

Albert

• New Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »

An important part of my metadata is IPTC format. The problem was that I did not see any IPTC information in the browser layout. I do not know for what reason (maybe something very simple but was not upgrading). The solution I found is to select many images and write in metadata panel information common to all of them (e.g. the copyright). Immediately all the data are in the IPTC browser.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
IPTC is a legacy format that has been abandoned by the IPTC 10 years ago.
IMatch imports existing legacy IPTC and fills it into the IPTCCore and IPTCExt namespaces in XMP, as required by the IPTC and the Metadata Working Group.
No legacy IPTC data is created by default for files which don't have legacy IPTC data - also in accordance with MWG and IPTC recommendations.
If a file has legacy IPTC data, IMatch imports and also updates it.

The Default Metadata panel in IMatch does include some standard tags from the IPTCCore namespace, e.g. title or copyright. Many legacy IPTC fields have been deprecated and are no longer standard of IPTCCore or IPTCExt in XMP. If you still have a workflow based on legacy IPTC data, I suggest you reconsider and switch to a more robust and modern XMP-based workflow. This is also the default in IMatch 5.

For details about all this, see the Metadata help topics in the IMatch Help System.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:16:09 PM by Mario »

Albert

• New Members
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
Hi Mario,
you know if it's an easy way to migrate the IPTC information inside pictures to xmp?

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
This is done automatically by IMatch. IMatch imports all legacy IPTC data that has a mapping to XMP automatically. But not all legacy IPTC fields have a mapping to XMP, the IPTC retired many tags when they've created the IPTC namespace for XMP 10 years ago. And a lot more fields since then.

When you import an image into IMatch and you write-back the metadata once, your file will contain a legacy IPTC record (if it had one before) and an XMP record. The XMP record contains a copy of all still valid IPTC data that has a mapping to IPTCCore or IPTCExt in XMP.

For more info, see for example: http://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata

Albert

• New Members
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »
Ok, thank you Mario