The Big Challenge - Part II

Started by Gerd, August 11, 2013, 08:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Dear all,

after this "not-possible-multiple-times-same-category", I decided to delete all categories and try to read-in again.

Deleting the categories was no problem, I only kept the new IM5-cats.

Then I made first a backup of this 8,5 GB IM5-database: it was done in 11 min.

I restarted the now category-cleaned IM5-db. It allways started after 1 min. with a white screen for ca. 3min., then short the IM5-screen and again a white screen for another 5 min.

I started now again importing my IM36-category-exported file ( with check-sum), it take 1h 2min to finish.

Jep, all categories are in again! But now the best thing: I closed IM5 and started with new imported cats, again I got a white screen for 1 min, but then IM5 was living!

Also switching between categories is very quick! Before it was with several white screen inbetween and a reding-in of the categories (shown in the lower left corner)

At moment I'm happy!

Next step is to make first a new backup to keep this situation.

Regards
Gerd

P.S. With the qick-start I was too quick ... after starting IM 3.6 to check category-content and then starting IM 5, it was the same as before: first the IM-start-screen, then 4 min. white screen, then short the UI-screen and again for 5 min the white screen ... overall it takes on my system 10 min to start IM5 with 144.000 pictures.
I think, the quick start before has something to do with the Windows-memory-cache.
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

What is the situation when you shut down IM5?
- Category View? Showing @All?
- Hierarchy? Showing All Levels?
- Pause setting? Never Pause?

On my system with 19.600 images it takes ~13s to start up showing @All but Paused and no Hierarchy.
Never Pause and Hierarchy showing All Levels takes ~35s before IM is fully available.
(I don't touch anything until IM5 is done loading what it needs)

Gerd

Hi,

I set: never pause, show hierarchy, show all levels.

working inside works fine, only switching to Media&Folders gives for some seconds a white screen.

I switchend the to my tset-IM5-db with 3.700 pics, some seconds and white screen for a short time, but then back to my big one. Here it needs some more time, I could see, that the categories or pictures are read-in (lower left small window), then for seconds a white screen, after this again this reading-in and a white screen for a lot of seconds.

I was wondering about this reading-in, because I chanhed nothing and I set all automatic updates in IM5 to 'no'.

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

I would begin with deselecting Hierarchy, unless you really need it.
Pause is there for a reason. Set it to 10.000 or so.

Have a look at the file count in the RH corner when you have Hierarchy enabled.
I wouldn't be surprised if IM has to display 2 million images in your case.

Gerd

Hi,

I will try with 'Show hierarchy' = Off

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

Quote from: Gerd on August 11, 2013, 10:44:22 PM
I will try with 'Show hierarchy' = Off

Have you tried this already?
I'd like to know the number of images IM has to display for @ALL with Hierarchy Off and with Hierarchy ON showing ALL levels.

Gerd

Hi Ben,

yes, I tried it. I'm playing now with the settings to find out, when I need what. I also use now the Pause-settings to avoid lon waiting times, when I'm walking through the folders/categories/and so on ..

so step by step I become more and more warm with IM5, it's no longer this "I'm fighting with"  ;)

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

If you could give the numbers when you have them.
I think using Hierarchy Showing All Levels can easily increase the number of images to display 10-20 fold.

Gerd

Hi Ben,

here my times, I hope I understood it correct:

@All-categorie:

Show Hierarchy ON: 862.310 results, IM5 needs 60 sec. to show them and become usable
Show Hierarchy OFF: 144.108 results, IM5 needs 12 sec. to show them and become usable

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

So in your case Hierarchy increases the number of images to display only 6 fold.

With my category setup the increase is ~15x.

I have proposed to disable Show Hierarchy on program startup to prevent long startup times when Hierarchy is left ON unintentionally.
If you DO need it would be just one mouse click away.

Gerd

Hi Ben,

I will try. If this setting is s speed-factor, maybe it would be a good idea, that the choosen setting is mentioned by a colored button: Hierarchy off -> green; Hierarchy on -> yellow

Then it's easy to see, when you finish IM.

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd