Hierarchical View Speed & MP3 Files

Started by Darius1968, August 07, 2013, 04:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

My collection of audio/MP3 files amounts to 5,952 files.  If I have the show hierarchy off, searches from the search bar are fraction-of-a-second fast.  If I switch on the hierarchical view and search, it's still within a couple seconds fast.  Fro the case that I clear the search bar, if the hierarchical view is off - all files instantly are shown again, if hierarchical view is on - it takes a about 5 sec. for all files to be visible.  Searching by way of the filter panel is slower - about 5-7 sec.  Also, if I have hierarchical view on and search for "The Doors" via search bar, it will show that I have 37 files, but the other artists will still be visible with 0 files.  How can I change this to be like when I search in the filter panel, to have my hierarchical view truly restricted to just "The Doors"?  Also, are these times of 5 seconds or more for filtering or to clear searches when I have hierarchical view enabled normal?  BTW:  I have show only 1 level of hierarchy enabled. 

Mario

Quotebut the other artists will still be visible with 0 files.

What do you mean by that?

Has the file window to show 6000 files all the time? How many folders are there?
Which file window layout do you use?
Which sort preset do you use?
All this impacts performance, especially when IMatch cannot just load all 6000 files in a batch but must load them in smaller groups for each folder in order to display the hierarchy.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

My attached file, "File Counts At 0", shows that I have done a search on all my 6,000 music files for the word "mad", and there are 22 matches.  If I have hierarchical view set off, I'll get just 22 files, but this attachment shows what I get with hierarchical view set on.  How can I have IMatch not display the music groups for which the count is at 0? 
The file window is displaying all 6,00 of my files because when I do a search for songs/music I want to listen to, I want my result set to reflect music from my entire collection.  There are times where I'm only interested in songs that are of the '1980's New Wave" category, and here, I would have my 'scope' restricted to the folders on my HD that contain this music and/or restrict to categories that have this genre.  Not quite sure what the folder count is for my entire 6,000 song list (maybe around 20).  Is there a quick way to find this out when I have all 6,000 in the file window?  All I do is simply click on the supplied "MP3 Files" category to make available all 6,000. 
I've been using the supplied "Audio Files" layout.  Sort Presets?  I flip through all of the ones supplied with IMatch, but it seems to make no difference. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

QuoteIf I have hierarchical view set off, I'll get just 22 files, but this attachment shows what I get with hierarchical view set on.

Now I understand what you mean. The display is correct. Even if all files are filtered out, the category names will still be displayed. IMatch does not remove the category names in hierarchical view just because all files are filtered out. This behavior is by design.

I assume you use the sample data-driven category for MP3 files?
When you click on the MP3 category you will see all files with ID3 data in your database. By default, a parent category virtually contains all files assigned to one of its child categories. Which means that MP3 will virtually hold all 6000 files.

To see all MP3 files, select this category. Disable the hierarchical view, you don't need in for this purpose.
When you now do a search via the Search Bar or you apply a filter, you will see only the files, no additional groupings.
This will be much faster than letting IMatch dive-down the full hierarchy and generate a hierarchical display.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook