Viewer Is Not Displaying an Image

Started by kiwilink, March 03, 2016, 01:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

I have several jpg's that I can see in the file window but when I send it to the viewer I get a message that says "This file cannot be displayed".  I copied the area from the log below.  I can view it using windows.

I ran Exiftool on it and everything looks ok.

Any ideas from the log below?  I have attached a sample image.

Thanks!!

03.02 18:02:55+    0 [1D70] 02  I>                P:\Pictures\MyImatchPics\2003\GolfCourse\P3060102.JPG
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [1D70] 01  W>                Load failed for 'P:\Pictures\MyImatchPics\2003\GolfCourse\P3060102.JPG'. [80070057]  'IMDXCacheManager.cpp(539)'
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [1D70] 00  E>                Exception [80070057]  'IMDXCacheManager.cpp(540)'
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [1D70] 00  E>                D2D CacheManager: [80070057] The parameter is incorrect. on line 811 file IMDXCacheManager.cpp  'IMDXCacheManager.cpp(1518)'
03.02 18:02:55+   15 [2D74] 10  M>                < 15 [47ms] CIMViewerWnd::SetLayout
03.02 18:02:55+   63 [2D74] 10  M>                > 15 CIMViewerWnd::SetLayout  'IMViewerWnd.cpp(2701)'
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [2D74] 05  M>                 > 16 CIMDXWnd::LoadFile  'IMDXWnd.cpp(763)'
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [2D74] 05  M>                 < 16 CIMDXWnd::LoadFile
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [2D74] 10  M>                < 15 CIMViewerWnd::SetLayout
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [2D74] 02  I>               P:\Pictures\MyImatchPics\2003\GolfCourse\P3060102.JPG loaded in 0ms. Result: 3
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [2D74] 10  M>                > 15 CIMAnnoManager::GetContainer  'IMAnnoManager.cpp(194)'
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [1D70] 02  I>                P:\Pictures\MyImatchPics\2003\GolfCourse\P3060103.JPG
03.02 18:02:55+    0 [2D74] 10  M>                < 15 CIMAnnoManager::GetContainer

[attachment deleted by admin]

sinus

I downloaded it and can view it in the viewer.
At least in your log it has some errors, so Mario can hopefully see the problem.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The attached file loads fine here.
Seems that either Windows WIC or DirectX installed on your system do not like the image.
What happens if you re-save it (to a copy)?
Is the attached file an original which fails? It seems very small.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Thanks Guys for the reply.  I found more of these that will not open in the Viewer but they open in all of my other applications.  They all seem to be from my old Olympus C5050.  Because the size is too big I sent you (Mario) another image to try.

When I open them in Photoshop and resave them the new saved copy will open in the Viewer.

What about the message below "parameter incorrect on line 811".  Any idea what this is?

Also, when I use EXIFtool Command Processor I see this message  "[ExifTool] Warning  Invalid EXIF text encoding for UserComment".  I used IMATCH to add keywords in the sample I sent to you Mario.  Does this have anything to do with it?

I just checked my Laptop and I can't see it in Viewer either but I see a different error.  I have included the log from the Desktop and the Laptop below.

Thanks for helping me.

Mike

Below is what I see in my log on the Desktop

ADMIN: Massive text data block removed. See post below.

Below is what I see in the log on my laptop

ADMIN: Another massive text data block removed. See post below.

Mario

Please DO NOT POST long excerpts of your log files into your post.

This makes your post unreadable.
This is bad for the community search engine.
I don't like it.

Are you aware of the possibility to attach files to your post? If not. check out the Attachments and other options below the post editor.

This time, I moved your log file data into a separate file for you and attached it below. The next time, I will ignore the post.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

QuoteWhen I open them in Photoshop and resave them the new saved copy will open in the Viewer.

This should already explain it. The WIC JPEG coded installed on your system does not like the file. Ask Microsoft or the coded vendor for more info.
Resaving the file fixes whatever is broken.
Run a WIC diagnosis on a file to see which JPEG codec is installed, and maybe for more error info (Help > Support > WIC Diagnosis).

QuoteWhat about the message below "parameter incorrect on line 811".  Any idea what this is?

Message logged as returned by Windows WIC / DirectX.

QuoteAlso, when I use EXIFtool Command Processor I see this message  "[ExifTool] Warning  Invalid EXIF text encoding for UserComment".  I used IMATCH to add keywords in the sample I sent to you Mario.  Does this have anything to do with it?

When you add keywords, the EXIF user comment is not changed. This may be from an old software, or your camera has written it.
Maybe more EXIF data is broken in the file and this is why Windows WIC refuses to load it.
If you don't want to resave the file, try to strip the metadata. Or use the tip in the ExifTool FAQ to repair damaged EXIF data by rewriting it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

I'm sorry.  I did not know.  As a great supporter of IMATCH I always try to follow the rules.

Mario

No problem. Next time, just attach. And always attach the entire log file, because there is important info in the header I need.

I checked your image. As assumed, Windows WIC fails to load the file with the WINCODEC_ERR_INVALIDPARAMETER message (Invalid parameter). This does not mean that IMatch uses a wrong parameter, but that there is some parameter in the file WIC does not like. That's all I can say.

I assumed that some more of the EXIF data in the file is corrupted and so repaired the metadata using the exiftool command from the FAQ I mentioned above:

exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -unsafe -icc_profile "PA301842.JPG"

I ran this twice because the first time ExifTool reported an invalid encoding in the EXIF user comment. The second time no warnings were issued.
After repairing the damaged metada, WIC was able to load the file.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Mario:

Thank you sooooo much for doing this!!!  I have been here at my computer for the last few hours before you responded using EXIFtool trying to figure it out and your fix worked perfectly.  I have been going thru lots of my photos from this camera and it appears that every image that I was unable to see in the viewer was shot in portrait by me tilting the camera.  I have not found one that was in Landscape that had the issue.

I have run into one more issue with the Viewer and I don't know if it is related to the same problem or not but I think it could be.  From the same camera I am seeing images that I have used the "rotate command" within IMATCH and they look fine in the file window (see attachment 1).  However, when I send them to the viewer they show up in Horizontal mode even though I have rotated them.  I ran the EXIFtool on them and I see the warning (see attachment 2).

I ran the EXIF fix you gave me below and it says 1 image updated but even after I bring it back into IMATCH I am unable to get the viewer to display it in the right orientation (no matter how I rotate it).  I have sent you the image via email.

Is this problem related and is there a way for me to fix this?

I am sorry to bother you about this but I have been trying all kinds of things to fix it and I really wish I could understand what causes this.  I have not processed these pictures (they are the originals).

Thanks!

Mike

Mario

Please always include a link back to your topic (your last email had none).
I receive about between 30 and 50 emails per day, and when I need to find the corresponding topic by, whatever, this eats up a lot of my time.
Please allow a few days before I can look into this. I've spend an hour on your issues today already, and now other users have their turn.
Did you try the simple thing like fixing the orientation in IMatch, or using a virtual transform?
Different orientation in EXIF and XMP? That's usually the problem. We had a similar case one or two weeks ago, search for TIFF EXIF to find it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Mario:

No hurry at all. 

Per your suggestion I did go back and read the thread with Audrey and others about EXIF and Orientation. 

My pictures I am having trouble with were rotated using IMATCH (virtual transform).  The EXIF and XMP TIFF both say the same thing (Orientation is Rotate 90 CW).  They look fine in the file window.  I can see the icon that shows I used IMATCH to virtually rotate the image.  When I send the image to the Viewer the thumbnails on the right look correct.  However, the image itself in the viewer is turned 90 degrees Counterclockwise to the thumbnail on the right within the Viewer.  I have sent you an email (including a link back to the topic) with attachments so you can see what I see and I have also sent you the two sample images that you will see in my attachments.

Unlike others that have reported a similar issue, I do not use Lightroom.  This problem is with only one specific camera (these are older pictures that were managed within IMATCH Version 3 and were imported into IMATCH quite some time ago).  I stumbled onto the problem recently.  I did do a SHFT/CNTRL F5 on all of my images recently because some of them that were in an old version of IMATCH had a smaller thumbnail size used in my default preferences.

When I reviewed the "Bug Reports »Archive »5.6.6 »How to fix wrong orientation" Re: How to fix wrong orientation, « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 05:49:57 pm » it appears that I am experiencing almost the same issue with "portrait" shots" straight out of the camera.

I can fix these images by going to "Rotate and Transform"/"Orientation (EXIF)" and setting the image to "Normal (No Orientation").  However, I am trying to understand how the pictures right out of the camera had this EXIF data of Rotate 90 CW???

Again, no urgency here.  I know you have a lot going on and I am just happy to receive the great support when I can.

Michael

Mario

I have not yet received anything from you.

Please send me a sample file exhibiting the problem. Include a link back to this thread (copy the link from the address bar of your browser).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Hello Mario:

I sent it but I'm not sure you got it because of the size.  I sent it again.

Mike

Mario

Hi, Mike

The two files you have sent to me display correctly in IMatch. Both files have an EXIF orientation "Rotate 90° clockwise" and this is how the files show up in thumbnails, the Quick View Panel, the Viewer and in the Slide Show.

Unless you have added virtual transformations to your files, the files should also show rotated to the right on your system. IMatch extracts and respects the EXIF orientation written by the camera. Note that this is not always correct, especially with older camera models or when you held the camera tilted when taking the photo. Sometimes the cameras just write the wrong orientation.

You can fix that in IMatch with the Commans > Image > Orientation (EXIF) command. In case of these two files, set the EXIF orientation to "Normal".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator