Working with Capture One Pro 9

Started by bemax56, January 22, 2016, 08:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemax56

I use both IMatch 5.5 and Capture One Pro 9.01 and have found a workable solution for editing just one photo with Capture One without having to generate a bunch of subfolders everywhere.  Actually, I found this technique posted on the Phase One User Forums.

Create an empty catalog in some convenient location and set it up to leave the files in their original location.  Now you can leave Capture One open or you can close it, makes no difference.

To edit a photo you are viewing in IMatch, create a favorite for Capture One and drag the thumbnail over and drop it on the Capture One favorite.  Capture One will open with the import image dialog.  Click on the image and click on import one image.  Then edit to suit yourself, output the result, etc.  The edits you make will be stored in the catalog so you can return and re-edit later if you like.  I noticed that if you edit a series of photos, they are all there in the catalog so you can revisit your edits.  Once you are satisfied, you can return to IMatch and drag another image over and edit it. 

I have not found a way to drag more than one image at a time onto Capture One and my system seems to become unstable after about half a dozen edits but it does work and for some tasks is more convenient that opening the folder where the image is in a session and editing the photos there.

By the way, I still use a single session as part of my workflow to process new pictures before I bring them into IMatch.  I use the technique above for tweaking a image or resizing for output.

I hope you find this helpful.
-- Bemax

Ferdinand

C1-9 allows you the option of using catalogs or sessions.  As I understand it, it is sessions that create all the sub-folders.  If you work with IMatch, and move / delete / rename files, then sessions at least allow you to define all the myriad C1-9 sidecar files as buddy files in IMatch so they will also be renamed / moved / deleted.  As I understand it, if you use catalogs and move or rename a file, you'll lose your edits.  Is that what happens with your technique?  It's worth testing.  Of course if you never rename or move files, then that's not a problem.

bemax56

Ferdinand, I believe what you say is correct.  As I mentioned, my standard workflow is to use a single session and process all of my files in Capture One and then catalog them in IMatch.  I only used the catalog when I need to make a quick edit of a single photo for something.  For instance, I mostly output low res photos with a copyright watermark to post on a website.  If someone wants a full rez photo, I can use this technique to output the full res jpeg and send it to the customer.  I may or may not tweak the photo (usually just crop or sharpen) and I may not want to keep the full res file (jpg). 

It's just another way to use CO,  I hope I explained it clearly.
-- Bemax

Ferdinand

Quote from: bemax56 on January 23, 2016, 05:20:13 PM
... my standard workflow is to use a single session and process all of my files in Capture One and then catalog them in IMatch.  I only used the catalog when I need to make a quick edit of a single photo for something. ...It's just another way to use CO,  I hope I explained it clearly.

I suspected as much, but wanted to be sure.  I thought it worthwhile to spell it out for others who may be reading this thread.  I also use a single session. 

vpv

I'm professional photographer with main focus on interior/architectural photography.

After (if it was not tethered):
- 1. copy (!!! does not 'move') from all cards RAW files (NEF) to temporary folder on my Synology
- 2. from the folder import NEFs to iMatch, culling photos + keying, ...
- 3. move (and renaim) NEFs to permanent location on [Main] Synology [...\Photos\YYYY\YYYYMMDD]
+ backup to another [Working] Synology withthe same folder structure
- 4. import NEFs from  [Working] Synology to Capture One Pro Catalogue keeping files in the folder structure. I'm running Catalogues in Capture One on yearly bases - 2015, 2016, etc.
- 5. post-production in Capture One Pro
- 6. final tune ups in Adobe Photoshop

Today, Capture One Pro is best RAW solution in term of productivity, colours, quality 'by defaullts'

As Phase One Ambassador I can offer code with 10% to all Forum members, if they need to upgrade or buy new C1 through https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx

Use AMBPAVEL code and get 10% off

Quote from: bemax56 on January 22, 2016, 08:33:06 PM
I use both IMatch 5.5 and Capture One Pro 9.01 and have found a workable solution for editing just one photo with Capture One without having to generate a bunch of subfolders everywhere.  Actually, I found this technique posted on the Phase One User Forums.

Create an empty catalog in some convenient location and set it up to leave the files in their original location.  Now you can leave Capture One open or you can close it, makes no difference.

To edit a photo you are viewing in IMatch, create a favorite for Capture One and drag the thumbnail over and drop it on the Capture One favorite.  Capture One will open with the import image dialog.  Click on the image and click on import one image.  Then edit to suit yourself, output the result, etc.  The edits you make will be stored in the catalog so you can return and re-edit later if you like.  I noticed that if you edit a series of photos, they are all there in the catalog so you can revisit your edits.  Once you are satisfied, you can return to IMatch and drag another image over and edit it. 

I have not found a way to drag more than one image at a time onto Capture One and my system seems to become unstable after about half a dozen edits but it does work and for some tasks is more convenient that opening the folder where the image is in a session and editing the photos there.

By the way, I still use a single session as part of my workflow to process new pictures before I bring them into IMatch.  I use the technique above for tweaking a image or resizing for output.

I hope you find this helpful.