Author Topic: Getting a script to run on application close  (Read 1348 times)

DavidOfMA

• Writer/Photographer/Therapist
Getting a script to run on application close
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:44:18 PM »
I'd like to call John Z's script that writes pending metadata and refreshes data-driven categories from the Application script, imatch5.bas. I have two questions, the answers to which are probably obvious but which I can't figure out from the Help.

1. How should the file be structured? When the editor creates the script, it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Sub Main

End Sub

Private Sub Application_Quit()

End Sub

To complete it, I want to call a modified version of John's script in Sub Application_Quit. Do I also need to call Application_Quit from Sub Main? If so, do I just insert Application_Quit() in Sub Main, like so:
Sub Main
Application_Quit()
End Sub

2. Is this the correct way to call another script from within a script?
MacroRun (C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\scripts\user\Writeback And Refresh (auto).bas)
End Sub

Thanks. Sorry about these obvious questions, but I'm not a script writer and I haven't been able to get this to work. I'm sure it's something very simple I'm doing wrong.

David

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
  • I'm too damn old to act my age.
Re: Getting a script to run on application close
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:50:56 PM »
2. Is this the correct way to call another script from within a script?
MacroRun (C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\scripts\user\Writeback And Refresh (auto).bas)
End Sub

Since I've never tried using an application script (let alone writing one) I'm going to pass on all but your last question.  To run a different script from within the one you're working on you can do something like this (which is a copy and paste from one of my scripts).

MacroRun MacroDir & "\Image Info Popup.bas" 'Run the Image Info Script

thrinn

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »
Do I also need to call Application_Quit from Sub Main?
No, this Sub will be called automatically. More technically: it represents an event handler for event "Quit" of the Application object. Whenever the event occurs, the Basic runtime environment will take care of calling the associated event handlppppler.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

DavidOfMA

• Writer/Photographer/Therapist
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:15:37 PM »
It doesn't appear that the Application_Quit subroutine, which should call the script that writes the pending metadata and updates the data-driven categories, is called when I quit IMatch. This is the entire contents of my IMatch5.bas file:

Sub Main

End Sub

MacroRun ("C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\scripts\user\Writeback and Refresh (auto).bas")
End Sub

What am I doing wrong?

David