How to remove redundant folders

Started by DigPeter, December 14, 2015, 08:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

In M&F view I have two redundant top level folders which contain no files.  I wish to remove these from the database.  If I use Remove from database in a folder's context menu, will this just remove the folder or all sub-folders?  If not, how can they de removed?

jch2103

If you give it a try, you'll get a prompt asking if you really want to do this, and that the folder will be permanently removed from the database. If you say 'yes', and there are sub-folders, you'll get a second prompt asking if you want to keep the sub-folders. (I just tried this with an empty folder/sub-folders in my database.)

However, I believe if you re-scan your database, the folders you don't want may come back.
John

JasCarter

You might be better off choosing the 'Delete' option from the right-click (context) menu, which will wipe the folders from your disk completely. That way they won't come back on a re-scan!
--
James Carter

DigPeter

Thanks John.  I did not want to go beyond the first stage.  As the folders are the top level, just below the C: drive, I do not think they will return. (?)

DigPeter

Quote from: JasCarter on December 14, 2015, 09:00:03 PM
You might be better off choosing the 'Delete' option from the right-click (context) menu, which will wipe the folders from your disk completely. That way they won't come back on a re-scan!
Thanks, but I have other stuff that is not in the database in these folders, so that would not be a good idea.

DigPeter

I have tried the Remove from database function and I get the following results:

-  click on Yes, the folder and all its sub-folders are removed
-  click No, nothing happens - no folders are removed

I do not reckon that this is intended!  I have raised a bug report.

jch2103

Oops! I should have tested this before making my suggestion. I see the same problem as DigPeter. 
John

DigPeter

See my bug report, John.  Mario states that the folder tree did not refresh automatically, like it should.  <F5> brings it back.  I have tried this and it is now OK.  This will be fixed in 5.5.8.