"virtual cropping tool" in Viewer

Started by Mees Dekker, December 13, 2015, 11:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

My local photoclub uses IMatch for collecting and archiving pictures (from the members), to make selections for photo contests and, most used of course, to display pictures on a big screen and discussing each individual photo. Most of the time we do this by using the viewer.

Being able to display (via the "File Window Tip") all sorts of technical data (aperture, exposure, ISO setting camera and lens build, location, time and date, etc.) is enormously helpful in raising the level of discussion from opinions (I think it was ISO xxxx or exposure yyyy) to facts. Also showing two or more pictures side by side helps a lot in comparing.

When it comes to composition matters, quite often you hear a statement like: "if the horizon would be lower, then ...." or "the left/bottom/right/upper part is not very interesting; I would crop that out."

Actual request: is it possible to have a "virtual cropping tool" that could be applied in the Viewer? Ideally it would have two modes: one that darkens the part of picture that is not in the crop anymore and one that actually fits the (virtually) cropped picture to screen. It would be nice if some kind of overlay could show the "rule of thirds" or the "golden ratio".

It is not necessary to perform the actual cropping on the original file, but it would make IMatch even more useful for my club (and myself by the way).