IMatch sometimes takes a long time to open

Started by DigPeter, November 17, 2015, 01:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigPeter

I closed Imatch correctly the last time I used it.  On opening today, it took about 7 minutes, pausing a long time on "Initialising views and workspace".  On most occasions, the process is faster, but occasionally it is very slow.  Is there a reason for this? I have a fast computer with i5, 2.5GHz CPU and 6GB of RAM, with HDD.  I attach the log file. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Nothing should take 7 minute. Especially not with a rather small 50,000 files database like yours.

IMatch takes almost 40 seconds to load your database. This is not that fast for such a small database. You are using a regular disk, but still...

iMatch takes 300 seconds (!) to get the list of available file objects. This operation is a slow operation because IMatch needs to scan the contents of an entire database table. IMatch keeps the information cached in another section of the database and only performs the scan when the cache information is found missing or invalid. This may happen after a diagnosis, when you close the IMatch database before IMatch had a chance to update the cache etc.

If IMatch can load the information from the cache it takes maybe 0.1 second to load the data. If IMatch must refresh the cache from the original info, it will take longer. A couple of seconds, depending on the speed of the disk. Maybe 20 seconds for a 100,000 files database on a normal hard disk.

300 seconds is dreadfully slow for a database with 50,000 files on a normal disk. I've made a quick check and for a 200,000 files database on a SSD this takes maybe 5-7 seconds.

Is the folder containing your database excluded in your virus checker? A virus checker which starts to scan the database when IMatch reads it would explain such a bad performance. Do you Optimize the database from time to time? Were other applications utilizing the disk at the time perhaps?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on November 17, 2015, 02:26:29 PM
Is the folder containing your database excluded in your virus checker? A virus checker which starts to scan the database when IMatch reads it would explain such a bad performance. Do you Optimize the database from time to time? Were other applications utilizing the disk at the time perhaps?

I have AVG virus checker.  Some while back, I moved the database folder to Public Users, so any account could access it.  I failed to update the AVG exclusion, which has now been done. I will see what happens next time I open IMatch.

I last optimised about one month ago.  I use IMatch almost daily.  Diagnostics are performed each time I use Pack & Go (most occasions).

I am not aware of other applications actively running at the time, other than MS Outlook and the web browser, with gmail, hotmail & Flickr open, as normal. 

Mario

An on-access virus checker which scans the database can bring performance down to a crawl. As I said, you will only notice it when IMatch cannot use the cached information, which is rarely the case. Maybe after a power down or when you shut-down IMatch while it is still updating all this stuff in the background. IMatch then skips the cache update and performs it the next time it is started. But usually you get a 10 second delay, not 300 seconds as on your system...consider spending a couple of bucks for a SSD - you won't regret it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on November 17, 2015, 03:01:46 PM
An on-access virus checker which scans the database can bring performance down to a crawl. As I said, you will only notice it when IMatch cannot use the cached information, which is rarely the case. Maybe after a power down or when you shut-down IMatch while it is still updating all this stuff in the background. IMatch then skips the cache update and performs it the next time it is started. But usually you get a 10 second delay, not 300 seconds as on your system...consider spending a couple of bucks for a SSD - you won't regret it.
Thanks Mario.  I think it would have to an external SSD.  I am not sure that one would fit into my Acer Aspire Laptop.  Would the database or the program be stored on it?

Mario

External SSDs, when connected via USB 3 or even 3.1 are quite fast. A built-in SSD which replaces your existing HDD will speed up everything. Most SSD vendors include a tool which transfers your existing disk to the SSD, then you swap the built-in disk with the SSD and...rocket! I recall that on my old notebook the boot time for Windows 7 went down from over one minute to maybe 10 seconds.

Internal or external: The IMatch database goes on the SSD. This will be a big speed improvement.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Hey DigPeter

Though I have not a laptop, what I had to change: I changed a desktop-computer, bought a new one with a internal SSD 256 GB and it blowed me almost away!  :D

SSDs are very fast and IMatch makes a lot more fun since my replacement.
And btw: also USB3 is much quicker than USB2, I haden's believe it before.

Windows 10, all programs including IMatch is on my SSD and my Database. Currently I have still 80 GB free from the 256 GB.
So, if you can buy a SSD, I recomend a 256 GB, not 128 GB, although of course also this small GB would be fine.

If you are interested, here is my thread about my new computer:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4879.0

Hope, you can get such a SSD or at least a USB3.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DigPeter

Thank you Sinus.  I followed your interesting thread on this subject. I have to find out whether I can retro-fit an internal SSD.  I think I would need 500GB.

DigPeter

Mario

Quote from: DigPeter on November 18, 2015, 12:06:23 PM
This morning IMatch opened in  25secs!
This is more like it for a 50,000 files database. The cache for the table was created yesterday and IMatch could use it.

Remember to remember what you did before when the slow open performance reoccurs...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on November 18, 2015, 02:28:18 PM
Quote from: DigPeter on November 18, 2015, 12:06:23 PM
This morning IMatch opened in  25secs!
Remember to remember what you did before when the slow open performance reoccurs...
:) I will try